• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Damn Bees

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Anyone else been attacked by bees on the course? I got attacked today at the RiverGrove Course (Kingwood). I set my mini marker down next to my disc, and I guess I set my bag on a Yellow Jackets nest because they went nuts. I took off running, leaving my bag, and got stung 3 times. They swarmed the bag, and we had to use a looooong stick to get the bag away. It still was full of Yellow Jackets, and they were pissed.

We dumped out the bag, and started hitting the bees that were left. I was so pissed , I said all 7 of George Carlin's dirty words, and even made up a few new ones. Those yellow jackets stings hurt like hell. It happened about 7 hours ago, and I the pain is just starting to go away.

Anyone else have a bee story?

No, not like that, but this belonged in the funny thing happened on the course thread. I am sure it was traumatic, but the way you wrote it was pretty darn funny! ;)

Not quite like that but my boy (7 years old) and I encountered Cicata Killer Wasps. They really are quite harmless unless you go out of your way to provoke them. Females can sting but they don't swarm like bees and the like do. These things are HUGE and very very scary looking - especially to 7 year olds. There were hundreds of them out on the course today (Rum Village - South Bend, In.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_killer_wasp

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/chicago_gardener/2007/05/the_attack_of_t.html

Look at your thumb. That's basically how big they are. *shudder*

-Dave

No, not like that, but this belonged in the funny thing happened on the course thread. I am sure it was traumatic, but the way you wrote it was pretty darn funny! ;)

I guess your right. I was just so mad, I didn't think of it as funny.

Not quite like that but my boy (7 years old) and I encountered Cicata Killer Wasps. They really are quite harmless unless you go out of your way to provoke them. Females can sting but they don't swarm like bees and the like do. These things are HUGE and very very scary looking - especially to 7 year olds. There were hundreds of them out on the course today (Rum Village - South Bend, In.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_killer_wasp

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/chicago_gardener/2007/05/the_attack_of_t.html

Look at your thumb. That's basically how big they are. *shudder*

-Dave

I wondered what kind of bees those were up there! They have been absolutely atrocious this year up there all over the park on that end.

My buddy won't go near em, but I just walk through em and go about my business (bee's in general don't really faze me much and subsequently I haven't been stung since I was a little kid).

They are big and nasty looking though...almost like a bee with something glued to the back of it =P

I got stung in the head Saturday during the second round of a tournament, boy was that fun!

Oh man, you got hit too? Was it on 10b? I went and sprayed down the nest with bee killer between rounds but maybe it wasn't enough. I know of at least 3 people that got stung during the tourney...man I hate bees.

I've had it happen once as well.. ground bees of some sort. Both my friend and I got stung. I only got stung once but my foot swelled up like crazy. Seems I'm allergic to bee stings so I do my best to steer clear of any bees when I see them around now.

Oh man, you got hit too? Was it on 10b? I went and sprayed down the nest with bee killer between rounds but maybe it wasn't enough. I know of at least 3 people that got stung during the tourney...man I hate bees.

I heard about some on 10b but didn't see any there myself. They actually got me on 15 just a few feet down the trail from the tee pad.

And great job on the tournament Tim! I had a blast out there despite not playing great.

I sware, this thread is a CURSE!

This thread is a curse and I am going to prove it!

SO, my buddy lost his all black Discwing Quarter K II on a hole that had a blind turn on it. We hunted for awhile, gave up, finished the round, and decided to search after we got done. I mean it is black for crying out loud, who's gonna accidentally find that in the next half hour or so? :p

Anyway, after the round we are searching and searching. I am in no way leaving without him getting his disc back. So I trudging around like a mad man. I am fighting through weeds and tall roughage that is as tall, if not taller than I. I am getting kind of close to the creek, and all of a sudden, it hits me like a wave across my legs. I am saying to myself in a split second, what did I just rub up against and then, "AHHHHHH! :eek: Get out of the weeds! BEES BEES!" I let out a scream like a little girl (which means the first half only dogs could hear) as I was running for bloody hell out of there. I got racked with a number of tall thick weeds right between the legs, but did not feel that at all. I must have stepped on some kind of ground nest and it ended up being wasps since there was no stingers. I took off running to the car and threw some Calgel on my legs, hands and arms where I got stung. I got tagged like 15 times.

Well, needless to say we did find his disk. It was head-high, sitting on a branch...yes right along the edge. :( Isn't it always on the edge and never in there where you think it must have went. :D

So, since this thread came out, I see a number of people have been tagged by these buzzing buggers! It has to be a curse. This is how I will prove it:

Since I care about my fellow disc golfers, my plan is to start a thread called:
Damn Hot Sexy Models :D

Note: I say Models so it can be male or female....your choice. I just had to be PC on this one.

First let me say THANK YOU again for helping me find my disc. Just reading the story makes me LOL. :eek:Your pre-adolescent scream followed by GET OUT! GET OUT! was the best. It was like there was a fire or something. And the fact that 15 minutes later you were still twitching..........gotta love the little things in life. But really I am glad your OK. One other thing Donovan how come stuff keeps happening when I go to the course with you. 1st the birds of prey and now the wasps...............:confused:

oakley doakley,

Al I know is that one sting is a normal occurrence; 15 not so good. Seeing wildlife is a normal occurrence, seeing 2 vultures that big over your head; not so good. I tell you, it is always an adventure brother! :p;):D:eek::cool:

Knollwood Park Kalamazoo Michigan in Sep 08. I have never seen anything like it but as I was preparing to tee off my dog came whining up to me crying. "What's wrong girl?" She layed out flat and all over her torso she was covered with yellow jackets. I had to beat them off with a disc! Luckily I did not get stung.

Anyone else been attacked by bees on the course? I got attacked today at the RiverGrove Course (Kingwood). I set my mini marker down next to my disc, and I guess I set my bag on a Yellow Jackets nest because they went nuts. I took off running, leaving my bag, and got stung 3 times. They swarmed the bag, and we had to use a looooong stick to get the bag away. It still was full of Yellow Jackets, and they were pissed.

We dumped out the bag, and started hitting the bees that were left. I was so pissed , I said all 7 of George Carlin's dirty words, and even made up a few new ones. Those yellow jackets stings hurt like hell. It happened about 7 hours ago, and I the pain is just starting to go away.

Anyone else have a bee story?

From the sounds of it, I don't think I want to have a bee story.

Woodpecker

Back when I was in high school I heard a story from a friend who played football. They were practicing on a field close to the school and one of the guys stepped in a hole. He says no big deal I'm fine and starts to pull his foot from the hole. Apparently there were hornets living in there and they decided to come out and play some ball after that. The guy yells "BEES BEES RUN RUN!!!". They say that it looked like the cartoons where there are so many that they form shapes and chased everyone around. So many people were stung and the bad thing is they got under their shoulder pads and couldnt get them off really quick.

I guess your right. I was just so mad, I didn't think of it as funny.
lmfao, sorry to hear about your misfortune man and I wish you nothing but a speedy recovery to your wounds, but I fully agree with him. I was literally LOL when I read your story. :)

This thread is a curse and I am going to prove it!

SO, my buddy lost his all black Discwing Quarter K II on a hole that had a blind turn on it. We hunted for awhile, gave up, finished the round, and decided to search after we got done. I mean it is black for crying out loud, who's gonna accidentally find that in the next half hour or so? :p

Anyway, after the round we are searching and searching. I am in no way leaving without him getting his disc back. So I trudging around like a mad man. I am fighting through weeds and tall roughage that is as tall, if not taller than I. I am getting kind of close to the creek, and all of a sudden, it hits me like a wave across my legs. I am saying to myself in a split second, what did I just rub up against and then, "AHHHHHH! :eek: Get out of the weeds! BEES BEES!" I let out a scream like a little girl (which means the first half only dogs could hear) as I was running for bloody hell out of there. I got racked with a number of tall thick weeds right between the legs, but did not feel that at all. I must have stepped on some kind of ground nest and it ended up being wasps since there was no stingers. I took off running to the car and threw some Calgel on my legs, hands and arms where I got stung. I got tagged like 15 times.

Well, needless to say we did find his disk. It was head-high, sitting on a branch...yes right along the edge. :( Isn't it always on the edge and never in there where you think it must have went. :D

So, since this thread came out, I see a number of people have been tagged by these buzzing buggers! It has to be a curse. This is how I will prove it:

Since I care about my fellow disc golfers, my plan is to start a thread called:
Damn Hot Sexy Models :D

Note: I say Models so it can be male or female....your choice. I just had to be PC on this one.
I've never gotten into any bees or wasps on the course but I like your idea for the new thread.

lmfao, sorry to hear about your misfortune man and I wish you nothing but a speedy recovery to your wounds, but I fully agree with him. I was literally LOL when I read your story. :)

I hope he's recovered by now...if not, he's got issues. This thread is pretty old.

Bee Update:

I was at the course a about a month ago and I told a fellow disc golfer on the course to watch out for the bees. He told me they were gone. I guess someone had got stung worse than I did and came back and burned them out of the ground. He showed me the charred remains of the hive. I am so happy they are gone. The bees had the whole damn woods to set up a hive and they had to do it on the #17 fairway.

Latest posts