• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Damn TL

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have a Star TL, and its a nice disc, but the flight rating says it has a turn of 0 and fade of +1, but this damn thing just fades like no tomorrow. I haven't thrown this disc a lot, and it seems like a great fairway driver. Will this thing straighten out with time? Seems like the numbers say , and what I have heard people say that it should go straight.

Mine took a little while to break in, but now it only hyzer flips.
I loved how it was so stable at first, but I love just as much how I can hold an anny line on it now.

I say just keep working with it. Hit some trees!

I have had it for a while, but it comes in and out of the bag. Here is the best pic of have of it?

0829081554.jpg

I'd think it'll straighten out with more wear. I've had a similar experience with a Star Leopard. When I first got it, it didn't fly like a -2, 1. If I were to have guessed based on how it flew initially I'd have said -1, 2. As the star plastic has been wearing in with more throws its been flying more like what I expected.

Mine took a little while to break in, but now it only hyzer flips.
I loved how it was so stable at first, but I love just as much how I can hold an anny line on it now.

I say just keep working with it. Hit some trees!

Kingwood will be opening back up soon, to there will be plenty of trees for me to hit out there.

I find TL's to be straighter TeeBirds and even though they have a slide fade at the end they are extremely predictable. If you are getting a big fade from one it may be an odd mold or technique.

My Star TL 167g started out fairly stable, but now I love it after beating it up some.

I find TL's to be straighter TeeBirds and even though they have a slide fade at the end they are extremely predictable. If you are getting a big fade from one it may be an odd mold or technique.

I agree, it's probably odd technique. ;)

One of the first discs I ever bought was a star TL. According to the flight charts the TL should be one of the straightest discs on the market. I suffered from newbie school girl arm syndrom at the time and found it to be way too stable for me. Now that I've grown out of that phase i can throw Teebirds and TLs very long and straight.

In other words: You really have to have some snap to get a TL to go as straight as it's advertised.

are you throwin it less than 300ft ?

i know they currently call it a fairway driver and maybe for the likes of climo it is, but its really more of a short distance driver.

Also did you ever try out that jls again i think the jls in the right weight for your taste will be more of what your looking for right out of the box , it just a little slower than the teebird but faster than a leopard.

yes, it will straighten out. When it does you will think back to when it was way more overstable than you thought it would be (now) and you will be comforted in the fact that the disc will always come back. That's when the TL or Teebird starts to earn it's keep.

It may take a while, but don't give up on it

What's the dome look like on it? I've had quite a few TL's and the domey-er ones seem to be more overstable. I usualy try to keep a flat top and a domey one in my bag for diffrent shots.

The domey ones seem to be harder to find so they are probably just an off molding that happens from time to time.

I'm surprised so many people find it incredibly stable. Mine is pretty flippy with average wear. I use it as a hzyer flip distance driver and still have to release it with some hyzer when i back off of it for finesse shots. It holds its own with my max distance drivers though due to the fact that it is so controllable.

All brand new TL's are overstable as hell, at least for me. "A beat in TL is a good TL"

I have a Star TL, and its a nice disc, but the flight rating says it has a turn of 0 and fade of +1, but this damn thing just fades like no tomorrow. I haven't thrown this disc a lot, and it seems like a great fairway driver. Will this thing straighten out with time? Seems like the numbers say , and what I have heard people say that it should go straight.

I bet it is Red, huh?

Latest posts