• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dan Beto - Throw Analysis 2

there is this word that starts with A and rhymes with blossom...

Nice vid! On the huge hyzers was the disc holding the hyzer or were those big D turnover lines?

I think Dan throws far because he is genetically different. :D

Seriously though, some really good angles in there, you can even see wrist positions in a few of the shots.

one of those throws only went long. i am having form issues at the moment but fixing it right now. as you see my pull line is not close enough to the body and when i pull back i am leaning.

those 2 things Blake pointed out to me, and is the reason i am not "hitting" most of those.

I figured as much. It just looked like it was fairly nose up and heading towards a stall. It looks like it must have apexed at 60' of height or more!

about 55' high, the reason it looked nose up was do to the climb once it hit the apex, it popped nose down pretty drastically, then i got the late turn.

hammer pants? lol

i am on the verge of changing my throw and make it not so "falling on my face cause i cannot stand up anymore" throw.

my back being hunched over is the only main problem i found out which is causing me not to pull tight enough.

when i'm hunched over and pull, not coming in tight enough, when i stand up straight with the same reach back, i'm in tight enough!

masterbeato said:
when i'm hunched over and pull, not coming in tight enough, when i stand up straight with the same reach back, i'm in tight enough!

That's one thing I've noticed about Climo. He maintains perfect spinal posture throughout his throw. He looks almost rigid in the spine- he will twist but he wont bend.

I think you are too far forward to soon. So your hand is only getting to about 11 o'clock on the nose of the disc. It should set up to exit at an angle closer to one oclock. It appears you expending a lot of effort throwing into the apex and little setting up the move around the nose of disc at the apex. Your arm swing is too much forward effort and not enough recoil and outward pull. The recoil and move around the nose create the snap. Much of your snap seems to be gone as well as your smash leverage. I believe improving your "loft" and "outward pull" would fix the tightness to your chest.

yah, dan was basically bending at the waist and then trying to turn forward. picked that up when he was skipping some putters in a yard last week.

the other thing that was consistent with that is that he was still killing hyzers that he would pull out to the right (which got him the proper positions), but everything else had less power.

i fixed this problem today, i was getting displacement but it was really quiet but i could tell i was hitting them. i can feel the timing of my fingers ripping off and my extension was good and my pull line is straight. 460' is back to being like nothing again. i just have to keep my back from hunching over.

So now you need to go out and video your throw again so we can compare "wrong" vs "right" :)

I think I've gone and forgotten what I had a couple weeks ago :( But I'm not so good with the instant fixin'.

Right is just staying upright, like regular standing position instead of lunging and leaning way forward.

I have the same problem and I'm trying hard to unlearn it.

I think I developed bad muscle memory because I used to think I was supposed to do it. I thought this was "getting my weight forward"

It really slows down body rotation and increases the distance you have to go. It also makes me jam my pivot.

Dan's got so much power though that his foot is going to turn regardless.

The foot doesn't have to turn. It can just stay put and then your twist your knee or roll your ankle :(

I'd like to see Dan crushing some shots in his better form (you can see it in the first video, but the shots are mostly shorter golf shots). I'd like to see the bombs so I know this is "maximum Dan" :)

Beetard said:
Right is just staying upright, like regular standing position instead of lunging and leaning way forward.

I think I developed bad muscle memory because I used to think I was supposed to do it. I thought this was "getting my weight forward"

It really slows down body rotation and increases the distance you have to go. It also makes me jam my pivot.

An exact description of what I'm working on right now. Old habits are hard to break and I'm getting crap for distance because of it.

Beetard said:

Dan's got so much power though that his foot is going to turn regardless.

I was always under the impression that to throw a good hyzer you wanted to bend at the waist?? Is this wrong?