• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave242's Review of Idlewild

I told Dave242 I am against anyone reviewing a course 1 year after playing
(how do you keep 200 courses straight, I forget interesting facts about courses in weeks.

I don't know Dave242, but from reading his posts on here and on the Charlotte club's forum, I would make a well educated guess that he is the type of person who keeps insane notes on courses he's played. Also he could have written that review right after he played it and entered it at a later date, especially considering how many courses he's played, and how long he's been playing.

Thanks for the perspective Tallpaul.

I personally, rarely review a course unless I've recently played it. The biggest reasons for this being, that to get positive review opinions requires a certain minutiae of detail these days. And, upgrades are needed on courses that used to be very good, to maintain that status, with the newer standards for quality courses.

I hear you on the need for minutiae to get the most thumbs up, but I was more interested in getting my ratings list up here than garnering strong public opinion poll numbers. (Funny that I post that in this thread which happens to be about the only verbose/essay-style review I have done.)

I would love to see your rated list of courses played (as well as everyone who has played over 50 courses), but unfortunately your desire for "positive review opinions" prevents you from entering your list on this site. Oh well.......

Your second objection is a moot point, IMO. A review entered today by a travelling reviewer/explorer will be accurate and up-to-date today. But in 5 years, who knows what changes, good or bad, will have happened. Chances are they will never go back to visit/play and then update their review accordingly. But.....their review and rating will remain forever (at least as timg has it set up now). Likewise, old reviews if dated properly are valuable.

Sounds like a personal beef you have with him. Maybe addressing him personally instead of on a forum will help you get an answer. Not doubting you and the other locals haven't put a lot of effort into the course, but don't you think most courses have locals spending hours on upkeep?

One thing I forgot to add. Tyson, I do agree with you about the idea of the review taking place 2 years after playing the course. With all the variables and changes to a course, there should be a limit on how far back a review can take place. If a review includes outdated, and therefore incorrect, info about the course, it can disregard all the effort you put into improving the course.

No personal beef, dont even know him, I have tried to contact personally = refusal to change review rating. Most courses, I wish/hope so, as much work as we have put into our course = doubt most have.

One thing to add, my point exactly. Old reviews and the reviewers that enter them well after they played the course cant be trusted. Nothing personal against Dave, I will say Dave did edit the review to say he played the course when it first opened, but since he entered it well after the fact, it shows up ahead of reviews that praise the changes that have taken place since the course first opened (that making it not cool). Maybe having reviews sorted by play date would be more effective.

Thanks for the perspective Tallpaul.

I hear you on the need for minutiae to get the most thumbs up, but I was more interested in getting my ratings list up here than garnering strong public opinion poll numbers. (Funny that I post that in this thread which happens to be about the only verbose/essay-style review I have done.)

I would love to see your rated list of courses played (as well as everyone who has played over 50 courses), but unfortunately your desire for "positive review opinions" prevents you from entering your list on this site. Oh well.......

Your second objection is a moot point, IMO. A review entered today by a travelling reviewer/explorer will be accurate and up-to-date today. But in 5 years, who knows what changes, good or bad, will have happened. Chances are they will never go back to visit/play and then update their review accordingly. But.....their review and rating will remain forever (at least as timg has it set up now). Likewise, old reviews if dated properly are valuable.

It sounds like you think only course regulars should review.

first that would make very biased reviews
secondly, you do not have 200 local courses.

Latest posts