• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DC/VA/MD in November

bsurg

Bogey Member
Hey folks!

I will be in the DC area in mid-November. I'm not familiar with courses in the area, nor am I familiar with the weather - not sure how cold it's going to be and if I'll want to be outside.

With that in mind:
  • What are some must-play courses in the area? I'm willing to drive up to 100-150 miles out from DC.
  • What is the weather normally like in mid-November? Would it be warmer by the coast, or should I head for courses further south?

I played a round in 45-50 degree weather here in Michigan on Saturday. Not sure if I'll want to go much colder than that, but if the course is amazing I'll do it.

Weather is usually decent, might be a little chilly, but not going to vary much except for mountains around your huge radius with a lot of great courses. Weather might be iffy at Paw Paw which is must play, it's my favorite place. Hawk Hallow might be open, check with biscoe on here, another favorite and must play. Patapsco, Seneca, Ditto Farms are the best closest to DC. Within 60 miles or so you have Codorus, and Creeping Creek/Brewery. Within 150 miles you have Iron Hill, Quaker's Challenge, New Quarter and Walnut Creek.

Haven't played a ton up that way, but Loriella, Hawk Hollow, and The Grange (listed here as The Blockhouse) are all excellent courses. Hawk Hollow and The Grange are both private but I think the contact info should be on their course page.

As for weather, well...

You're still gonna want to play Hawk Hollow and The Grange :)

you will have to make arrangements in advance to play Blockhouse as it is technically closed for day to day play currently. Hawk Hollow will be open until the cattle begin having calves which is usually mid-December. contact me to play there.

Much depends on which side of DC you are staying on as the traffic is some of the worst anywhere.

Sidewinder pretty much covered it. Although I would add Turkey Hill to the list. If you end up making it to Patapsco, I would suggest Rockburn and possibly Druid since you'll be in the area. Hit me up if you want a guide for any of those 3.

You're all amazing. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I will be in town Nov. 14-23 for the big Neuroscience conference. The conference only goes a few days, so the rest of my time I plan on visiting family and friends in the Rockville, Baltimore, and Laurel areas, as well as getting some disc golf in.

Paw Paw looks like a doable detour on my drive down from Michigan, so I'll definitely look into that.

driving from Michigan, I'd stop near Pittsburgh for Deer Lakes, Moraine, Knob Hill and/or Linbrook (only 9).

62 courses with rating >=3.0 within 100 miles of zip 20001

Hey folks!

I will be in the DC area in mid-November. I'm not familiar with courses in the area, nor am I familiar with the weather - not sure how cold it's going to be and if I'll want to be outside.

With that in mind:
  • What are some must-play courses in the area? I'm willing to drive up to 100-150 miles out from DC.
  • What is the weather normally like in mid-November? Would it be warmer by the coast, or should I head for courses further south?

I played a round in 45-50 degree weather here in Michigan on Saturday. Not sure if I'll want to go much colder than that, but if the course is amazing I'll do it.

Weather will typically be mild enough for play. South/coast would usually be warmer than North/mountains.

On the courses tab, you can enter whatever criteria you wish - the title of this post is just an example of a result. I've played practically every course within ~100 miles of D.C., and there are many excellent courses to choose from.

For "central" Maryland itself, you have many fine options:
  • Turkey
  • Calvert
  • Seneca
  • Darnestown
  • Ditto
  • Patapsco
  • Rockburn
  • Druid
  • Scarboro
Read their descriptions/some reviews and see what suits you!

I'd likely be available one of the two Saturdays you're here if you need/want a guide.

I will be in town Nov. 14-23 for the big Neuroscience conference. The conference only goes a few days, so the rest of my time I plan on visiting family and friends in the Rockville, Baltimore, and Laurel areas, as well as getting some disc golf in.

If you are in Rockville (NIH?) you might as well play Seneca Creek and/or Darnestown. Seneca is a challenging wooded 27-hole course with long and short tees on each basket. Darnestown is similarly wooded but a bit rougher around the edges (natural tee pads, etc.).

I work near both courses so if you would like a guide, just let me know and we can work out a schedule.

I've arrived! Turns out I'm 15 minutes from Seneca Creek, so I will definitely try to play that sometime. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to play till next weekend - so I'll check back in here next week and see if anyone would like to play a round.

Was hoping to play one of the Pittsburgh courses yesterday on my drive, but it snowed all the way. I will probably be able to hit Paw Paw on the way back, though.

Mountain Lake Lodge in VA. It's on my list to play when I get out there again.

I've arrived! Turns out I'm 15 minutes from Seneca Creek, so I will definitely try to play that sometime. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to play till next weekend - so I'll check back in here next week and see if anyone would like to play a round.

Sweet! Seneca Creek is in great condition, and the baskets are a nice mix of longs and shorts at the moment. I should be available next weekend - the more notice the better, of course.

I work is about 5 minutes from Seneca if you can play during the week. I often sneak out for a quick round at lunchtime.

Welcome to the hood! Sidewinder pretty much hit it on the head. If your only going to play 2-3 courses in the area, I would recommend Patapsco, Seneca and Paw Paw( there's a reason lots of folks have Whipping Post listed on their faves list). If your looking to make it to Druid Hill, Patapsco or Rockburn, I would be happy to try to show you around. At Druid we currently have a 33 hole layout, with the original 18 hole course, the 9 X-holes and the 6 new X-holes as part the wooded 18 hole course expansion.

mountain lake is not near DC at all. As for the blockhouse I thought I read back in the summer that they had closed all three courses.

Blockhouse is generally playable for travelers who make arrangement in advance at this point. Locals not so much.

mountain lake is not near DC at all.
Lol... it's only 4.5 hrs from DC. Can make it to Brakewell or Moraine in that time. Or in less time you could make it to Nockamixon or Orange Crush. :)

Latest posts