• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD3

Despite playing for 17 years, I find I am susceptible to trying something new that can always get me 5 more feet. I guess that is the reason I give myself to still feel the desire to get out and play every day - that I am still trying out new discs and want to see what they can do once they are seasoned in.

I have three Destroyers that I definitely will not part with even if they are "retired" for now. I can always go back. But I really like that orange Cloudbreaker

Have you ever tried a Raider? Fairly similar to a DD3 or Destroyer, but maybe a hint more turn. I have a lucid one with a big dome, and it throws great.

I've found the Enigma to be a great companion to the DD3.
The least stable DD3 that I have is about the same as my average NEO Enigma.
The LUX and Vapor might be a touch less stable than the NEO.

The Enigma is more nose-sensitive and cannot handle much wind.
The Enigma glides better at slower speeds, but the DD3 can handle higher arm-speeds better.

Ditto the Enigma.

I love the Enigma, but I find it just a hair too flippy to be a workhorse driver. Enigma's good for when you want to throw a big turnover, or maybe a hyzerflip.

What really sets the Enigma apart from other similar discs is the combination of superb glide, fairly easy turn, and a long, mellow fade.

The Enigma's underrated, and anyone who maxes out at 375'ish could probably use it as a main driver with great success.

Last edited:
I've never been able to procure a very domey Enigma, so I don't know if they have better integrity or not, but every Enigma I've used has been relatively flat, and went from amazing in the first couple of months, to turn and burners very fast.

Cloudbreaker (vs Rive)

Threw one of the new Swedish Cloudbreakers today, as well as a Royal grand Rive. Both of these discs are new to me. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned wanting a head to head comparison of the two discs, so here goes. I'm going to talk more about the Cloudbreaker here than the Rive. I'll discuss the Rive further in the Rive thread.

Cloudbreaker is 174g. Rive is 173g. Cloudbreaker has a nice dome. Not absolutely ridiculous, but about as far from flat as you can get. Rive has a mild dome. Not really flat, but not domey either.

I've thrown quite a few DD3s across many iterations of the mold. This new Cloudbreaker today might be the best one I've seen yet. The plastic seems top notch, and reminds me of ESP. Shiny, yet grippy and very slightly gummy without being at all floppy. Considering the new Cloudbreaker costs $25 you'd think they'd use good plastic. Here they definitely did.

This disc flies wonderfully, and true to the numbers (12, 5, -1, 3). The Cloudbreaker will hold a line well without wanting to fade out prematurely or too harshly. Glide is superb, and the disc almost seems to float at times when you really smash it. The Cloudbreaker won't turn super easily. I figure you need 400' power to really see any. This disc did very well on full power rips, and flew great on high, anny lines. The harder you're able to smash this thing the better it will perform. I was able to mash it out to 450' a couple times, which is pretty long for me with a speed 12 disc. Discmania got this disc right, and I feel like the Swedish Cloudbreaker performs great. Anyone wanting a really good Destroyer-type flight should take a look at this one.

Now, as for the Rive.... overall I found it to fly the same distance as the Cloudbreaker on most throws, but on different lines. The Rive is a speed faster (13) than the Cloudbreaker, and you notice that immediately. The Rive is zippier out of the hand. The Rive had a little high speed turn, but, again, I had to throw it pretty hard to see the turn. The Rive seemed to lack glide somewhat, and I feel like it lost energy quickly and started looking for the ground. The fade on the Rive was fairly sudden, and sharp. Honestly, the Rive wasn't as long as I was expecting. The below average glide coupled with a sudden fade cost this disc at least 30' on most throws.

Average distance with the Rive was probably 420'. On most rounds of throws it and the Cloudbreaker landed very close to each other. The Cloudbreaker had a couple longer throws, mainly due to better glide. Both discs fight wind decently. The Rive looks to be a good headwind performer.

Given numbers for the Rive are 13, 5, 0, 3.5. Based on the one I threw today I'd say it's more like 13, 4, -1, 4. The Rive is fast and will turn, but glide was unexceptional, and the fade kind of took over mid-flight. Even when I wrenched the Rive over anny it would fight out of it quickly and start hyzering. This is a fairly overstable disc.

Which disc would I choose if I bagged one? Cloudbreaker. I just liked it better. There's nothing horribly wrong with the Rive. It performed fine, and I got consistent throws out of it. Rive seemed to shine more when thrown in the wind. The Rive is obviously a driver for very big arms. I'm sure guys who throw 500' probably love it. I'd be curious to try the Rive at sea level.

I bought a new stock S-line DD3 and this thing is much more understable than I expected it to be. It sits somewhere between a Destroyer and a Enigma, but definitely closer to the Enigma. I can hyzer flip it and get it to ride to the right before it fades, I can not release it flat. Is this normal or did I get an outlier?

(I throw my drivers ~450)

I bought a new stock S-line DD3 and this thing is much more understable than I expected it to be. It sits somewhere between a Destroyer and a Enigma, but definitely closer to the Enigma. I can hyzer flip it and get it to ride to the right before it fades, I can not release it flat. Is this normal or did I get an outlier?

(I throw my drivers ~450)

Interesting. I've thrown several of the new C line Swedish DD3s, and 3 Swedish Cloudbreakers. All have been pretty true to the numbers, and not overly flippy.

I throw the same distance as you, and I generally can't hyzerflip these and get them to pop up. You may have gotten an outlier.

The new Cloudbreakers are nice. Big dome, great glide, and pretty mellow flight. Not flippy at all, but not super overstable either.

The first run of S Line was noted by DM as being less stable than expected. They said that this will likely change with the future runs so stock up if you like the flight.

The rim of the first run dd3 looks more like a Tern rim than a Destroyer rim, I can't imagine that DM is content with it

I have a teal S-line DD3, and I can turn it with only 375' of power. It's more stable than the Horizon DD1, but less stable than a very beat up creator Cloudbreaker (not horizon). I'm fine if they make it more stable. Hey Discmania, DO NOT make the DD1 more stable tho, k? Thanks.

Threw one of the new Swedish Cloudbreakers today, as well as a Royal grand Rive. Both of these discs are new to me. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned wanting a head to head comparison of the two discs, so here goes. I'm going to talk more about the Cloudbreaker here than the Rive. I'll discuss the Rive further in the Rive thread.

Cloudbreaker is 174g. Rive is 173g. Cloudbreaker has a nice dome. Not absolutely ridiculous, but about as far from flat as you can get. Rive has a mild dome. Not really flat, but not domey either.

I've thrown quite a few DD3s across many iterations of the mold. This new Cloudbreaker today might be the best one I've seen yet. The plastic seems top notch, and reminds me of ESP. Shiny, yet grippy and very slightly gummy without being at all floppy. Considering the new Cloudbreaker costs $25 you'd think they'd use good plastic. Here they definitely did.

This disc flies wonderfully, and true to the numbers (12, 5, -1, 3). The Cloudbreaker will hold a line well without wanting to fade out prematurely or too harshly. Glide is superb, and the disc almost seems to float at times when you really smash it. The Cloudbreaker won't turn super easily. I figure you need 400' power to really see any. This disc did very well on full power rips, and flew great on high, anny lines. The harder you're able to smash this thing the better it will perform. I was able to mash it out to 450' a couple times, which is pretty long for me with a speed 12 disc. Discmania got this disc right, and I feel like the Swedish Cloudbreaker performs great. Anyone wanting a really good Destroyer-type flight should take a look at this one.

Now, as for the Rive.... overall I found it to fly the same distance as the Cloudbreaker on most throws, but on different lines. The Rive is a speed faster (13) than the Cloudbreaker, and you notice that immediately. The Rive is zippier out of the hand. The Rive had a little high speed turn, but, again, I had to throw it pretty hard to see the turn. The Rive seemed to lack glide somewhat, and I feel like it lost energy quickly and started looking for the ground. The fade on the Rive was fairly sudden, and sharp. Honestly, the Rive wasn't as long as I was expecting. The below average glide coupled with a sudden fade cost this disc at least 30' on most throws.

Average distance with the Rive was probably 420'. On most rounds of throws it and the Cloudbreaker landed very close to each other. The Cloudbreaker had a couple longer throws, mainly due to better glide. Both discs fight wind decently. The Rive looks to be a good headwind performer.

Given numbers for the Rive are 13, 5, 0, 3.5. Based on the one I threw today I'd say it's more like 13, 4, -1, 4. The Rive is fast and will turn, but glide was unexceptional, and the fade kind of took over mid-flight. Even when I wrenched the Rive over anny it would fight out of it quickly and start hyzering. This is a fairly overstable disc.

Which disc would I choose if I bagged one? Cloudbreaker. I just liked it better. There's nothing horribly wrong with the Rive. It performed fine, and I got consistent throws out of it. Rive seemed to shine more when thrown in the wind. The Rive is obviously a driver for very big arms. I'm sure guys who throw 500' probably love it. I'd be curious to try the Rive at sea level.

the new cloudbreaker to me feels much better in hand than a rive.

the new cloudbreaker to me feels much better in hand than a rive.

Agree. I've thrown 3 of these new Cloudbreakers now, and 2 Rives. The Cloudbreakers are little mellower and easier to turn. They also glide better than the Rive.

It's not that I dislike the Rive, but I feel the Ballista Pro is way better. I can't figure out why L64 even bothered with the Rive.

I've thrown my new S-Line a decent bit the last week, mostly in the field but also on the course and my first impression remains, this thing is understable. I was looking for a replacement for my Sockibots that are a bit on the straighter side of Destroyers, basically something that pops up goes straight and then fades. This DD3 do have a place in the bag as a hyzer flip/tailwind bomber though. I'm curious to try the C-line as well as I guess that'll be a bit more stable. I also can't imagine this was what Discmania was going for and unless I got an outlier my guess is they will correct on this run to be more stable.

Get your S-line DD3s before Discmania 'fixes' anything!

We have a new brick and mortar store in town, so I went in to buy something to support. I had one S-line DD3 (174g Teal) that is a bomber, so I picked up another (172g Yellow). If you have 350-400' course distance, I cannot imagine a better disc for distance. I was throwing goalpost to goalpost (past the endzones) with average effort while waiting for my son at football practice. I'll be 49yo next month.

These are very similar flight to the Horizon DD1 in Stratosphere box, which is what I actually hoped to buy. Turns out the S-line DD3 are all that.

Get your S-line DD3s before Discmania 'fixes' anything!

We have a new brick and mortar store in town, so I went in to buy something to support. I had one S-line DD3 (174g Teal) that is a bomber, so I picked up another (172g Yellow). If you have 350-400' course distance, I cannot imagine a better disc for distance. I was throwing goalpost to goalpost (past the endzones) with average effort while waiting for my son at football practice. I'll be 49yo next month.

These are very similar flight to the Horizon DD1 in Stratosphere box, which is what I actually hoped to buy. Turns out the S-line DD3 are all that.
The new, Swedish C line DD3s are also pretty nice. I've thrown several of them, and they're about perfect. Great glide, a little turn, and the fade is fairly gradual.

The newer Cloudbreakers are also good. Honestly, I think I like the Swedish DD3s more than the older Innova ones.

I've never thrown the old ones but I really like the new S-Lines as well as the Cloudbreakers, both the regular and Horizon. I've stocked up a bit on the S-Lines since they fill a slot I've been having trouble filling right out of the box and would do the same with the regular Cloudbreaker if I could find them in any other color than green. The Horizon flies about the same for me but has much more dome which I'm not the biggest fans of.

Latest posts