• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A brief primer on how the injection molding process affects flight characteristics

Ive never seen what you're referring to. Im new to this world lol

There was a run of Yeti Pro Aviars that were called Wood Aviars or Yeti Woods. This was 2-3 years ago, I guess. The discs had some sort of wood pulp or chips in them. The only one that I have seen had a grittier texture than normal Pro plastic does. Not sure how well those held up. They are probably all collectors items now.

Besides Innova using wood slivers (chips is bit much), Zing Minis has also run minis with wood in them and also hops. Yes hops, like what's in your favorite IPA but not your Macro beers.

I build and repair injection molds for a living. I can guarantee nobody is putting real metal flakes into the plastics. That would be disastrous for the mold.

My first instinct is to agree with you, but a quick google search shows several suppliers of aluminum metal flakes/glitter for use in plastic injection molding. I think it's actually metal flake. Just very small and thin enough to not mess with anything.

We work with a lot of high temp, high glass fill materials (PET, PPA with 30+% glass) in my industry and those tend to wear out prototype aluminum tooling very quickly. I would guess metal flake in urethane, PP or TPE wouldn't be any more abrasive (probably less).

My first instinct is to agree with you, but a quick google search shows several suppliers of aluminum metal flakes/glitter for use in plastic injection molding. I think it's actually metal flake. Just very small and thin enough to not mess with anything.

We work with a lot of high temp, high glass fill materials (PET, PPA with 30+% glass) in my industry and those tend to wear out prototype aluminum tooling very quickly. I would guess metal flake in urethane, PP or TPE wouldn't be any more abrasive (probably less).

Yeah i did some researching too. It sounds absurd and like a processing nightmare, but i might have to back up a bit and concede it is possible. Id still wager that its not real metal...but after some research im no longer positive its not. So...hell i dont know lol