• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why THIS is better than THAT.

What OP doesn't state is the nose down nature of Ricky's nose down putt. This means if he doesn't draw metal he won't be more than 15' away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehhhhhh, I'm not sure his nose down is as much about come-backers as it is controlling the drop. I actually disagree with the OP when he says Ricky drives them straight in from 40 feet maybe barely going over the height of the basket. I guess it depends on wind, but I have seen Ricky bang many of 40-50 footers going several feet above the basket at apex. It's not a soft lofty putt by any means, but it is up and down. With his velocity, nose down or not, the very rare Ricky air ball usually leads to a pretty hefty come backer, but who cares, it's Ricky.

My advice is always to change your putting style every week.

It may be counterintuitive, but I notice that everytime I try something new, it works perfectly---once. New putters in particular, but new stance, release, whatever. Everything goes in. Then next time I'm on the course....the same New Style is dreadfully bad.

Now, you might counterargue using my credentials---I'm a terrible putter, and player, so what do I know? But I've been playing a long time....long enough that I've about run out of new putting styles to try. Either that, or I'm old.

But if you look deep inside, you'll know in your heart that it's true---Every New Putting Style Works Once.

My advice is always to change your putting style every week.

It may be counterintuitive, but I notice that everytime I try something new, it works perfectly---once. New putters in particular, but new stance, release, whatever. Everything goes in. Then next time I'm on the course....the same New Style is dreadfully bad.

Now, you might counterargue using my credentials---I'm a terrible putter, and player, so what do I know? But I've been playing a long time....long enough that I've about run out of new putting styles to try. Either that, or I'm old.

But if you look deep inside, you'll know in your heart that it's true---Every New Putting Style Works Once.

This summarizes what I do. It does not matter what was working last night. I figure out my "style" on the practice basket before each round. It's why I suck I guess.

I want to putt flat so bad. I'm not proud of my DGCR signature. I've been playing for about a dozen years and still have good friends ask "have you tried to putt with less hyzer???" I don't know what's wrong with me. There are certainly times I can get a flat putt going and windy rounds where I have no choice and just revert to a Nybo like in and out putt, but when the nerves get going, the old fashion hyzer drop in is what works as much as I hate it. Especially if I'm playing on old Chainstars.

Try adjusting the putter angle in your grip. If you keep having the left wing/side drop, and can't rotate your forearm more clockwise comfortably, adjust the disc in your palm a bit. Also do some underhand putter tosses straight up above your head like you're tossing a pizza up and catch it. See if you can toss the putter straight up and down with a little spin, no wobble, dead flat. This is way harder than getting a clean putt release...so if your grip allows this then it will be fine on a putt. This underhand toss thing is only somewhat intuitive if your putting style is push/spush...if you are a more spin putter then it won't make any transferable sense.

Well, I'll confess I didn't read it all before I started scrolling down. Anybody else?

Same. This post needs a TL;DR summary at the top or put a summary/title of the numbered points in bold.

Here is my attempt at summarizing the post (not my personal opinions on technique).
  1. Accelerate through the putt
  2. Hyzer putting increases variability
  3. Putt it flat
  4. Aim for the center and it it flat/level
  5. How to generate precise power
  6. Rhythm and breathing is important
  7. Final thoughts

Try adjusting the putter angle in your grip. If you keep having the left wing/side drop, and can't rotate your forearm more clockwise comfortably, adjust the disc in your palm a bit. Also do some underhand putter tosses straight up above your head like you're tossing a pizza up and catch it. See if you can toss the putter straight up and down with a little spin, no wobble, dead flat. This is way harder than getting a clean putt release...so if your grip allows this then it will be fine on a putt. This underhand toss thing is only somewhat intuitive if your putting style is push/spush...if you are a more spin putter then it won't make any transferable sense.

I'm not pure pitch at all. I put quite a bit of spin on it. What I did not mention is my putt has developed into a hyzer almost exclusively to avoid missing right. The reason I don't like putting flat or rotating my forearm is because of that. I'm consciously trying to close my forearm and shoulder off so I can't "open up" or late release and air ball right. I can figure out the timing for a flat/spin putt with some practice time around the basket, but when I'm standing over the putt in a round and want to putt flat and really commit - I will air ball right quite a bit. In another thread you talked about body position and driving hip to hip (you know what I'm referring to). That did help me, but what's hilarious is all the talk from pros and teachers about "using the big muscles" and shifting the weight and how that is much more repeatable than the relying on the arm/wrist/fingers. I agree in principle, but in practice I actually find repeating body rhythm when it comes to weight shift is actually really difficult. After 20 or so minutes around a practice basket I do feel like I'm "feeling" the putt into the basket and the weight shift is working and subconscious. But in the moment, during the round, sometimes it feels easier to keep more still and arm them in there.

I'm a solid player (rating floats in the 980-990 range), so I obviously have some ability to create muscle memory. But when it comes to putting, after 12 years I still find it hard to commit to a specific routine and for whatever reason I end up focusing on what I have to do to avoid missing right (I'm right handed). It's embarrassing, but true. One of my buddies, who is a 1000 rated told me I was a 1020 thrower and 950 putter. He is so right.

Maybe the best response is "it's obvisoulsy all in your head dude, good luck" HAHA

^Yeah it's so different for a spin putter. The left/right misses are the problem, but you can get on fire and hit a bunch and also adding 5-10' at a time when you're on probably doesn't matter at all. With more of a down-up arm swing with added pop, the weight shift and big muscle group thing adds to consistency since if your body moves correctly, it'll feel really wonky to not move your arm correctly too. The misses are more high or low, rather than left/right since there isn't the same early or late release tendency.

This is where advice for one putting style doesn't help with the other quite so much.

I agree with the majority of what you said, very well stated. Power from the putt comes from the legs, having good pop / snap on the putt keeps it more stable in the air, and the shortest path to the basket part is good stuff.

Some things I'd add / change:

- I agree that in theory a flat putt is probably best, and I advocate learning that way, but for me, I find using a tiny bit of hyzer on most putts helps my consistency. My wrist feels more natural in that position, and feeling more natural helps me relax. YMMV.

- Soft putters work better for me than firm despite using a style similar to your description. Probably due to my unorthodox grip, where I pinch the flight plate between my thumb and middle finger, and my index finger rests on the rim not doing much of anything grip-wise.

- I place less emphasis on routine and breathing than you. I view putting like I do throwing a dart or shooting a casual jump shot in your drive way. Too much thought being put into a simple mechanical action distracts from the instincts that lead to success. For me at least.

- Straddle putts are no issue. The weight shift for me is more up and down than back to forward, but it's still there. Power generation pales compared to a straddle stance once you're out, say, 50', but inside the circle there's no real difference IMO.

I actually disagree with the OP when he says Ricky drives them straight in from 40 feet maybe barely going over the height of the basket. I guess it depends on wind, but I have seen Ricky bang many of 40-50 footers going several feet above the basket at apex. It's not a soft lofty putt by any means, but it is up and down.

Agreed; I always thought of Ricky's putting as having more of a rainbow line when viewed from the side. Side view of Ricky putt at about 5:12 in this video shows some loft. The apex looks like it is about twice the basket height; even if adjusted for the miss high, it would still be above the basket.

Whoa! Logged back on after a few days, was great to see so many responses! Awesome to see so many respected members on here at least not hate it :)

And apologies for the title, but hey, it did get you to click, right?

As for the comment about Ricky's putts not getting above the basket rim, after reading it again, I probably would have worded that differently, but the general idea is that straight and aggressive is the better way to go a vast majority of the time. Other great examples would definitely be the lines Eagle and Simon take as well, especially this year's footage so far.

And apologies for the title, but hey, it did get you to click, right?

I would have clicked it earlier if it had a better title.

Using such methods on purpose lowers your reputation. They are damaging the efficiency of such a forum for gaining personal advantages. This is anti-social.

I would have clicked it earlier if it had a better title.

Using such methods on purpose lowers your reputation. They are damaging the efficiency of such a forum for gaining personal advantages. This is anti-social.

I see your point. In my defense, I did put a title on it in the OP.

What personal advantages?? Am I going to be banned if my posts don't get enough clicks? I honestly just thought it was creative, not sneaky.

Also, the length was on purpose. When writing something like this with that level of detail, I knew that only the more dedicated readers would get through it anyway. Folks that lose interest/concecntration after a paragraph or two aren't going to be the types that would benefit from this sort of hypothesis in the first place.

Honestly more of a post to collect my thoughts and observations more than anything, but if enlightens anyone at the same time, then all the better!

I honestly just thought it was creative, not sneaky.
Titles should rather be informative.

Also, the length was on purpose. When writing something like this with that level of detail, I knew that only the more dedicated readers would get through it anyway. Folks that lose interest/concecntration after a paragraph or two aren't going to be the types that would benefit from this sort of hypothesis in the first place.

Honestly more of a post to collect my thoughts and observations more than anything, but if enlightens anyone at the same time, then all the better!

I fully agree with you on that part. I liked the text.

Good summary of lots of things. I would just include a section on how to shift the weight, as this is what pretty much all trying to improve Ams do wrong. They start with pelvis at 45ish degrees and push forward, ending at 45. Rather than driving rear hip to front hip, ending with the rear leg kind of swinging behind and the spine onto the front leg in balance. It gives more power and prevents you from wanting to step through the putt on anything longer than 25'....making that 25-33' range way easier.

To the bolded: Thank you! I was actively thinking about this last night during my putts and it's very helpful. Weight shift and the motion of my non-plant leg have been conscious parts of my putting technique for years...BUT it never clicked for me that hip shift is the key to both of these and links them together.

However, thinking back, so many of my smoother in-line putts have included that motion. I guess I'm just a slow learner with some things :eek:

I must say that after reading the OP I putted way better than normal last night as well. It like a scientific fact or something like that.

It may be due to the first time I played doubles all year. But I was aggressively attack the basket to much success.

This is the year of big putts.

Good summary of lots of things. I would just include a section on how to shift the weight, as this is what pretty much all trying to improve Ams do wrong. They start with pelvis at 45ish degrees and push forward, ending at 45. Rather than driving rear hip to front hip, ending with the rear leg kind of swinging behind and the spine onto the front leg in balance. It gives more power and prevents you from wanting to step through the putt on anything longer than 25'....making that 25-33' range way easier.

Would you mind explaining this a bit more? This bit is pure gold, and I know what you're saying, but I tried explaining this today to a few playing partners and they just looked at me funny lol. Could be really helpful to many folks I know if I can word this from another perspective

Would you mind explaining this a bit more? This bit is pure gold, and I know what you're saying, but I tried explaining this today to a few playing partners and they just looked at me funny lol. Could be really helpful to many folks I know if I can word this from another perspective

This video is really easy to see it from the angle and repetition.

Players typically start with their pelvis angled ~45 degrees. They push forward and end with it at the same 45 degrees. This isn't really a weight shift...it's like an abbreviated step. They then spend the rest of the time after release fighting stepping through, since their spine is still kind of between their feet. There isn't a weight shift and they aren't in balance.

Instead you push your back hip into your front hip, so you end up close to parallel to the target and spine completely on the plant leg. I tell them to think about back hip into front hip, and let the back foot/leg swing behind them if it feels good. Don't think about kicking the leg, think about back hip in line to front hip and let the foot follow through how it wants.

Also make sure you start with a straight spine, it can be angled toward the basket, but no curve/hunch. I find I lose all my pop if I have a hunch and of course consistency/aim suffers too.

This video is really easy to see it from the angle and repetition.

Players typically start with their pelvis angled ~45 degrees. They push forward and end with it at the same 45 degrees. This isn't really a weight shift...it's like an abbreviated step. They then spend the rest of the time after release fighting stepping through, since their spine is still kind of between their feet. There isn't a weight shift and they aren't in balance.

Instead you push your back hip into your front hip, so you end up close to parallel to the target and spine completely on the plant leg. I tell them to think about back hip into front hip, and let the back foot/leg swing behind them if it feels good. Don't think about kicking the leg, think about back hip in line to front hip and let the foot follow through how it wants.

Also make sure you start with a straight spine, it can be angled toward the basket, but no curve/hunch. I find I lose all my pop if I have a hunch and of course consistency/aim suffers too.

I think this is important distinction in regards to having weight between your feet. Important to also not ignore "backswing/downswing" and be sure to get weight all the way on back leg in order to load up so to speak. Might seem obvious but if your starting point is spine between feet, not going to work either. I've caught myself doing this and have seen others do this. There's also a tendency to crouch down into the "backswing" too instead of actually shifting weight through core and loading "hip?" with spine upright onto back leg, like SP mentioned.

Weight needs to transfer from back leg to front leg, just like a regular disc golf throw, in order to get better pop. IMO

Latest posts