• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why THIS is better than THAT.

They start with pelvis at 45ish degrees and push forward, ending at 45. Rather than driving rear hip to front hip, ending with the rear leg kind of swinging behind and the spine onto the front leg in balance. It gives more power and prevents you from wanting to step through the putt on anything longer than 25'....making that 25-33' range way easier.

I've always struggled trying to get that proper weight shift with consistent release point (often missing right), and I just figured where the issue is. When I was loading into the rear side, I was trying to keep my spine/chin/nose all lined up with the pole. I now realize, this was causing a left to right weight shift as I pushed everything forward. I'm finding if I let the spine tilt slightly into the load (keeping the right eye and nose lined up with the pole as I twist slightly into the downswing) I'm able to explode into the pole with the entire body lined up with the basket. It transitions to the straddle as well. An easy person to see this from is McBeth, how he keeps his right knee cocked to allow the spine to tilt which allows you to shift your weight forward.

It transitions to the straddle as well. An easy person to see this from is McBeth, how he keeps his right knee cocked to allow the spine to tilt which allows you to shift your weight forward.

Yeah if you look at lots of his straddle putts, they are asymmetric. Pelvis isn't just perpendicular to the basket and then there's an arm swing...the back hip still pops behind/to the front hip in a similar but more subtle way. You need to get some leverage to have any power on a straddle, so the same concept applies.

Sure some people do an arm swing only straddle, but I doubt they can do it as far.

Yeah if you look at lots of his straddle putts, they are asymmetric. Pelvis isn't just perpendicular to the basket and then there's an arm swing...the back hip still pops behind/to the front hip in a similar but more subtle way. You need to get some leverage to have any power on a straddle, so the same concept applies.

Sure some people do an arm swing only straddle, but I doubt they can do it as far.

Evident when you watch some of the straddle putters jump putt. depending on camera angle their regular putt its hard to see the asymmetry but the motion of a jump putt ends up being the same motion just extended and exaggerated and they often end up in the same position/orientation as a push putters jump putt.

Evident when you watch some of the straddle putters jump putt. depending on camera angle their regular putt its hard to see the asymmetry but the motion of a jump putt ends up being the same motion just extended and exaggerated and they often end up in the same position/orientation as a push putters jump putt.

Yup, my straddle got much more accurate from outside 25' once I started staggering the left foot about 10 inches behind the right (about as far back from the mini you can get and still be legal). Once outside 40' I start doing the jump/jab motion. From that long I have to gauge in fade, but it's pretty damn accurate.

The overwhelming majority of disc golfers could use some strength and conditioning work, both general and sport-specific.

This is not what powerlifters do. Nitpicky, yes, but I couldn't let that pass. Agree with the general point of getting the breathing down.

Anyway, I agree with most of this. I prefer a stiffer, neutral putter and am also in the flat putting camp.

I am in the nutral putter camp too but they have to be either rubbery with a bit of flex and grippy or mega stiff like the old Pro D putters that Discraft made until sometime in late 2005 or in 2006. I release the disc flat out of the hand too.

My putt is these several
I have the front foot pointed at the pole, back one is behind me to left a bit, like a darts game stance(Right hand backhand putter). The hands do a push/shovel style then I putt. For putts beyond 12 feet or so or more wind I add spin and add more and more the further I am out. Then at 20 feet I tend to back off on spin a bit wind depending and start doing a little bit of back leg kick though with wind I have made that down to 15 feet to start the back leg kick. The longer back I am the more I extend the back leg out when I putt. The left hand (Right hand backhand putter) is a track guide for the putter as a push putt tends to miss high or low. Also at 20 feet a do add more and more spin to the putt style. Depending on how far I am from the basket putt I could be doing what is a push spin putt, or doing that leg kick putt like you see on the PDGA logo.

This type of putting is easy to see the benefit of if you grab a heavy book and swing it like Ricky putts and see how far you can throw it. Try putting that heavy book with your normal spush putt and it's not going as far. Maximize arm swing, minimal wrist, maximizes the pop.

Love seeing the same ideas pop up in different places. This was how I was taught to putt by the only guy over here who knows what he's talking about.

"Grab a telephone directory Rich and everytime you get up from the sofa, putt it back, take it out further and further, as long as the wife (GF at time) doesn't kill you, you'll be on the right road" or words to that effect (trying to remember from about 10 years ago!)

Latest posts