• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with 30 mph Winds

I just disced down because those speed 9 drivers are too fast for me. I'm reluctant to add a wind driver that's out of my range when I'm trying to fix my throw. Innova's chart says the Firebird and the Banshee are equally resistant to turn, and they have the same low glide for good wind resistance. The Firebird just has one more level of fade is all.

Yeah, I'm just talking about headwind. I'm trying to figure out how to throw up a hil with a strong headwind coming over the top, or into a strong headwind across a stream with a higher bank on the other side. Overhead?

How far do you need to throw the shot? How big is the hill? What kind of gap or line are you looking at? There are a lot of variables. The best option is usually just to lay up at the top of the hill and shoot from there. Attempting to throw any kind of shot over the crest of a big hill into a strong headwind isn't going to work very well. A thumber/tomahawk may work for you, provided it's a shot you have control of, but will it actually make it easier for you to knock a stroke off your score on the hole?

I played a round in similar wind last week, but the wind was very inconsistent. Every time I corrected for the wind, it would die down as soon as I released. Anybody got tips on how to play in primarily gusty wind?

Just got out of some 40 mph's. I love learning to play in the winds. This is my first year to get a lot of practice with it. I am definitely learning how to make it work.

I may be the only person that owns one, but I have a DX Firebird for headwinds and it flies straight as an arrow. And the DX gives me a little more distance than the Champs would.

For a long into headwinds shots and shape hyzers, I'm using a Champ Teebird at 175 g that's moderately broken in.

I have a champ monster that will fly into a head wind really well. If you put it on a hyzer, that thing is next to impossible to flip! I use either a pro destroyer or a champ groove in a tail wind if im really looking for some distance. Works for me!

For a long into headwinds shots and shape hyzers, I'm using a Champ Teebird at 175 g that's moderately broken in.

You're better than me if you can get a teebird to hold a hyzer into any headwind that's 20+. Mine will almost invariably turn into anny discs in that kind of headwind regardless of how much hyzer I put on it.

You probably throw harder than me Apoth. I'm using the T-bird to great effect in headwinds. I can throw that disc straight if I really snap under normal conditions, but an easy hyzer in a headwind, it works perfectly.

Yeah, even in calm conditions, I have to throw my brand new champ teebird with a little bit of hyzer as it gives me just the slightest turn. In a headwind, it's greatly exaggerated.

Latest posts