• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My 1st Day of Disc Golf Was Today.....

TripleB

Eagle Member
I played my first round, second round, plus 6 more holes (I know, I'm an idiot) of disc golf today...I am in love, absolutely dead, but in love with disc golf!!!! Do you mind if I tell you about it? Awesome!!!!

Beautiful 72 degree sunny day in Hickory, North Carolina at the 24 hole Glenn Hilton Park. Took to the course with a co-worker and my eight discs (Aviar, Swan 1 Reborn, Pure, Shark, Buzzz SS, Leopard, Teebird, and Sidewinder).

Played the first hole and shockingly my Sidewinder landed in the middle of the fairway. Threw the Shark left and short of the hole. Missed the 40 footer for birdie. Made the 6 footer for par!!! :clap:

Then a friend of my buddy and his son showed up so we started playing Captain's Choice...which I liked because I felt a little more relaxed on my shots knowing there was someone else to pick up my newbie play. Well, the first hole is a lovely wide open hole lined with trees down both side...unfortunately, of the next 24 holes there were only 3 or 4 more that were even the least bit wide open....so many trees....I never knew there could be some many trees between a tee box and a target only 350 feet away.:eek:

Amazingly through the first 12 holes or so we used quite a few of my shots....maybe 50%. Both the grown ups I played with said I was playing amazingly well for a newbie (actually they couldn't believe this was my very first time) and I felt pretty good with the straightness and landing spots of my drives. Not terribly long but many pretty close to where I was aiming.

The last 8 holes my partner started playing better and we probably only used about 30 to 35% of my shots. I hit a few good ones throughout that span too but my most memorable shot was a putt I made of about 35 feet. Couldn't believe it found the target!

Again, even if I hit a tree I loved going through the thought process of figuring out how to get a disc (and which disc) around a tree or through a lot of trees in order to get it to the hole. Yes, I did hit plenty of trees ;) I even threw a couple anhyzer shots I was proud of....one from about 90 feet away to within 2 feet of the hole. I also loved spending time in nature....something that I've seldom done in my 50 years here on this Earth. I think the only times I've really spent time in the woods was when I was hunting squirrels growing up....and hunting balls when I play white ball golf.

Let me stop right here and say that I think and know that many of my shots involved a lot of luck, but there were many shots that actually (and shockingly to me) went where I wanted them to. I definitely need to work on staying level through my throw, staying balanced, not trying to overthrow to get extra distance, and choosing the right disc for the appropriate situation, but I'm pretty happy with my first time out.

After we played 18 holes the man and his son left and two more guys came. Again we started out playing Captain's Choice and I think I got my second wind and started playing a little better for the first couple holes...but by the 4th or 5th hole (23rd of the day) my legs were starting to feel the pain. I used to play a lot of tennis but really haven't done any exercise for about 2 months so I was drained.

My partner had to leave after 9 holes so we remaining three just played single after that...first time all day that I was on my on. :sick: 1st hole double bogey but then I had two pars in a row, a bogey, and then another bogey. After that I was completely drained. Double, triple, bogey, double and then bogey. On one of those holes one of the guys I was with hit a 15 foot footer for the first 2 of his disc golf career (2 years)...he was stoked!!! We came to the 20th hole...only 165 feet and down hill, pretty open except for a huge tree standing 10 feet in from of the target....couldn't even see the target from the tee because of the tree. Nice smooth throw with my Pure putter, perfectly straight, hit the tree and bounced about 25 feet left. Took my time with the Pure, rocked forward, let it fly, and nailed it....a BIRDIE 2!!!!!!!:thmbup: Huge props to my buddy (who scored his first 2 after two years of playing) for being just as excited as I was...he could have been upset because I scored a 2 on the first day out or he could have just chalked it up to beginner's luck but he didn't....he was honestly ecstatic for me!!!!

After that I think I finished with a couple bogeys and a couple doubles but it didn't matter after that birdie....something I will always remember!!!!!

Other than me being completely dead tired now I am so excited, overjoyed, stoked, enamoured, enthralled by the game of disc golf!!! Just so much fun....combination of athleticism, mental fortitude, analyzing numerous situations, finding solutions, thrill of hitting a gap, excitement of hitting your spot (or missing a tree), being out in nature, and being around friends (although I love the fact that unlike tennis, I can go out and play on my own)!

As far as my discs, the majority of them showed me some love with some good looking shots throughout the day. Again, many hit trees but not as many as I though after looking up from the teebox on each hole.

I didn't have much luck (of course, much of this probably has a lot to do with my lack of consistency with my throws) with the Buzzz SS today...I tended to lose many shots out to the left with this disc. Even though the Shark is supposed to have more fade it worked out better for me today than the Buzzz SS. The Swan 1 Reborn didn't really do well for me today either...much preferred the Aviar and my Birdie Pure---I grew to love the perfectly straight flight of the Aviar and Pure. And as expected, I struggled with the Teebird today...I just don't think my game is ready for such a stable/overstable disc quite yet.

On the other hand, on the couple of open holes I loved the Sidewinder. Easy distance with a smooth throw and for me I loved seeing the disc start to the right then seem to adjust itself back to the left. Unfortunately this course really doesn't lend itself well to throwing the Sidewinder a great deal. The Shark was sort of hit and miss with more hits than misses. Maybe still a little more stable than I should be throwing right now but I had a few great tee shots with this disc. The Leopard was also very good for me today...I only remember about 2 shots where I got myself in trouble with it...and for my eyes the red was a hard color to see in the leaves. As mentioned above, loved the straight flight of the Pure and Aviar and at times had some solid putting/shots out of both of them. If I took my time and moved my weight back and through my front toe I was reasonably accurate with my putts.

I wish I could find a midrange (to replace the Buzzz SS) and a fairway driver (to replace the Teebird) that could give me the same straight flight (although the Buzzz SS should be giving me a straight flight but it didn't today) of the Pure but with more speed and glide to get further off the tee with a smooth throw.

But I digress because today was all about me playing disc golf for the first time and I absolutely cannot wait to get back out there!!! Of course I am going to have to wait until my left hip, right elbow, and legs stop hurting!!! :D

Thanks to everyone who has helped me on any of my post....it absolutely got me as prepared as possible for today and for making the guys I played with think it wasn't my first day!!! I greatly appreciate all your advice and patience!!!!!

Sorry for writing a book but I'm a bit excited!!!

TripleB

btw: here are some pros playing the course I played today to give you some idea of how many trees there were: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV6tb2MwuE4&t=890s

Not gonna lie, I didn't read the whole post. But I'm happy for you. :D

Welcome to the game! :thmbup:

If today was your first time playing disc golf, how and why do you already have 92 posts on this disc golf forum?

Edit: Whatever the reason, glad you played today and had fun!

Welcome to the addiction.

I used to do a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more.

I just keep trying to get a little better, said a little better than before....

Not gonna lie, I DID read the whole post. Being only a year and a half in, I still remember the euphoria of starting, and love to hear about it.

If any of your discs seem to be a little overstable, don't worry, you will rapidly beat it into a more mellow disc. It probably took my husband a month (say, 8 rounds of 18 holes) to get his Shark to super mellow, and then it stayed about that same way for another 6 months of play. The tree hits, while frustrating, are also mellowing out your DX plastic.

So, you might want to hold off on trying to get mellower discs, and give the ones you have a few more weeks to break in.

If you DON'T want to hold off...

So, I seem to recall you talking about restricted funds, so you may or may not be able to find the discs I'm going to suggest, since a lot of them won't be available in DX plastic.

For the midrange neutral... Try the Mako3. That thing is DEAD straight, but will hold a hyzer or anhyzer, although not a very strong hyzer.

The leopard is approaching one of the most neutral fairway drivers you can find, but once you get a little wear on a Discmania FD or (to a lesser extent) an Innova TL they are pretty dead straight (with very gentle fade) to the finish. The problem is, I think all those discs are only available in more expensive plastics. My husband has also had great luck throwing a Discraft Stalker.

And again, remember, all new discs will be a little more overstable when you first get them. After a fairly brief break-in period, the mellow some. That stays true even for premium plastics. The difference is, once in that 'sweet spot', the premiums stay there for much longer (years and years), as opposed to DX, that can be beat to severe understability on one year.

Even if the Teebird is too overstable for you at the moment, I recommend leaving it in the bag. There may be times when you want to throw into a headwind, and guarantee it won't roll anhyzer, but finish with solid fade.

Colors: I've found the colors that work best are (about in this order): Pink, Orange, Yellow, Chartreuse, White, Pale Blue. Somewhat acceptable is pale purple. Red, strangely, is really hard to spot. It the autumn, virtually EVERY color but white and pale blue start being hard to spot, depending on foliage. The only color that is 100% always pretty visible is pale blue, but all of the year except autumn, the brighter colors are better, and at all times but when there's snow on the ground, white is better. Both of my putters could be best described as 'exactly the color of dead leaves or dry dirt'. Mostly not a problem because I ONLY putt with putters, so they don't really leave my sight. Which means the color of a putter is less important, and the color becomes MORE important the farther you're going to fling it. This is all mt opinion, but from a player who has found every possible way to accidentally hide a disc. :D

The trees. I TOLD YOU! I warned you, but OHhhhh Nooooo! :D

I'm happy to hear about your first round, and have to assume you're much more of a natural at it than I am. I'm pretty sure it was a month or two of play before I hit my first birdie.

Although I started playing a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away and used Wham-o catch discs and threw at trees for targets, It brought me immediate joy. There is so much more that you can do with a disc vs a ball. I think about all of the amazing friends that I have made as a direct result of disc golfing over the years. And it still brings me great joy to play with my friends and make new ones. I love collecting plastic. The only complaint I usually hear is "I wish I would have started playing earlier in life". So welcome to the addiction and the passion. Also, you might want to try a Discraft Meteor to replace your Buzzz SS.

Last edited:
Man, I envy you OP. Many of us are constantly trying to recreate the newb magic, whether it be trying new discs, playing new courses, or learning unfamiliar techniques, ect. There's so much information to consume on this site, it's not even funny. Dont try to grow up too fast. Learn your basics, they're the foundation of every great player.

Well written and congrats! I think we all felt like that the first time we played. Glen Hilton is where I learned to play. Not like you need more than the Glen to test you, but ride to Hudson (15 mins) and play sawmills. I think you'll like it. Similar but different

Also, you might want to try a Discraft Meteor to replace your Buzzz SS.

For the midrange neutral... Try the Mako3. That thing is DEAD straight, but will hold a hyzer or anhyzer, although not a very strong hyzer.

Thanks for all the input and taking time to reply. One question...what plastic do you suggest in the Meteor and the Mako3?

The Buzzz SS was 173g but with whatever replaces it I would like to go a little lighter since my other mid (Shark) is 174g. Really love throwing that 152g Sidewinder but I only have about 3 or 4 holes where I have a chance to use it on my home course. I'm thinking for the Mako3 or Meteor I want to go under 170g at least...maybe 165g or so.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the well wishes!!!

TripleB

Don't replace the Buzzz SS. Mako3 is essentially the same. You just aren't throwing it hard enough yet. Buzzz SS/Mako3/Truth/Core/Claymore/Axis/Alias/etc. are all nearly interchangeable discs. All are very straight midranges and can be thrown so similarly. If you throw them under 200' they will seem a bit overstable, if you throw them over 300' or so then the differences between them will be more apparent. From 200-300' range they are all very straight and nearly interchangeable.

Couldn't edit post above: Let me put it this way. If I have a tennis racquet worth about $50 but the correct grip size, have played tennis a handful of times, and double fault all of my serves...would you suggest I upgrade my racquet? Or upgrade my ball choice? Or continue practicing for a while to sort it out?

I've have 2 Mako3's in Champion, and one in Star. The champs are both 175ish, the Star is 167, I think. They all throw about the same. I didn't purchase any of them new. Two I bought used (the Champs) and one I found (the Star).

They all fly about the same. I'd be very hesitant in getting a Star Mako3 in anything under 165g or so, just because I think it'd start getting a bit understable.

I just looked at the inventory on Infinitediscs.com, and there weren't any Star under 166g or Champion under 173g. So, I'd probably recommend the Star at 166g.

I've thrown the first Champ Mako3 since I got it over a year ago, and it is one of two go-to mids I have. It gets a lot of use.

It is maybe the best thing that happened to me as far as a training tool. Because it is so willing to hold the angle you throw it on, it's a great (but cruel) teacher to make you throw dead level. It will let you know, unkindly, when you don't.

I can get it out to 225' or so, and that's the extent of it. If I want to go farther, I have to throw a fairway driver, and i have found nothing in fairway drivers that are as dead straight as it. See my above post for recommendations on PRETTY straight Fairway Drivers.

Edit: In my experience, the Mako3 is NOT like the Buzzz SS, and absolutely NOTHING like the Truth. I've had 5 Truths, and 3 Mako3s. Every Truth throws like something between a Shark and a Roc. Every Mako3 is NOTHING like that. There is almost no fade at all on the disc even at full stall speed. Truths are all mild fade, but not the essentially NO fade of a Mako3. I've only had 1 Buzzz SS. It was understable (NOT neutral) and still had fade.

Also, please not, Mako3, NOT Mako. The difference is that the Mako3 will handle more power.

Last edited:
Great post! As someone who also discovered DG late in life (I just turned 50 and am approaching 2 years of DG), I can identify with you enthusiasm. Keep having fun and if you ever find yourself in the Triad, PM me and you can get a round or two in with my regular group.

Don't replace the Buzzz SS. Mako3 is essentially the same. You just aren't throwing it hard enough yet.

Or continue practicing for a while to sort it out?

I feel like I'm trying to throw the disc way too hard, trying to get the distance out of it. What I would like to do is lower the weight of a couple of my disc, find something that will fly straight (with a slower swing speed...I guess understable), something that will get decent distance (with a slower throw, so I'm not trying to overthrow it), and then concentrate on my form.

As far as tennis, definitely more practice, and concentrate on form. But to get more power you can always lower the tension of the strings and get more pop with a slower swing speed. I can't find the strings on my disc :D

Thanks for the help!

TripleB

You sound like one of those guys who is forever trying to buy his game.

They know everything, own tons of discs and bags, yet can't throw to save their life. And after a year or two, give up because they are either bored or have injured them selves from torquing discs they have no business throwing with piss poor form.

Would you tell a new tennis player to buy oodles of rackets and balls before they even learned the basics?

Find someone who knows how to play (not a local chucker who torques a Boss 250ft) and ask them, beg them for 10 minutes of their time to at least explain the basics of stance and throw. Then pick 4-5 discs, 170gr+ (putter, a mid or two, a stable fairway and a utility disc) and use them until you know them. You don't know squat about discs other than what you read, learn them for yourself.

My guess is you won't, you're having a field day on posting.

You can't buy a game.

You sound like one of those guys who is forever trying to buy his game.

They know everything, own tons of discs and bags, yet can't throw to save their life. And after a year or two, give up because they are either bored or have injured them selves from torquing discs they have no business throwing with piss poor form.

Thanks for the advice!

I had all four adults I played with during my first round tell me that my throws were at least as good as anyone they had seen who had played for at least a year, so I'm thinking the advice I've gotten here, the 2+ hours I've watched of instructional videos, and the 7 or so pro tournaments I've watched have really gotten me off on the right foot

I took your advice and went out to an open field, no course, and worked on the basics of my throws tonight and by the end of an hour my belief is that I can be pretty good at this game. I shortened my walk up from 5 to 3 steps, went to a modified power grip, bent my knees a little more, and concentrated on 3 things: good shoulder turn back, balanced follow through, and when I finish I want my chest facing the target. By the end of the hour I was getting incredibly consistent throws.

I will say that I still had problems with the Buzzz SS. I'm not sure if it's the plastic, or the rim, or what, but it continually slips out of my hand and ends up to the left so I've removed it from my bag for right now. I've also removed the Swan 1 Reborn for the time being...two putters, that I have more confidence in, should be good enough.

At some point I would like to add another mid so I would have 2 putters, 2 mids, 2 fairway drivers, and 1 distance driver but for now I'm just going to concentrate on repeating the form I found tonight.

Again, thanks for all for your helpful and honest advice!!!

TripleB

My guess is you may have a somewhat "rounding/hugging yourself" form, rather than having the elbow out in front with a wide upper arm/shoulder angle. The slicker Z plastic may then come out of your hand sooner in your throwing arc than the grippier DX with your current form. This is for example if the Buzzz SS is coming out 5-10 degrees left or more of your intended line relative to your other discs...not just going out straight like the other discs then dumping left early/"flying badly" with a release that felt good.

Thanks for all the input and taking time to reply. One question...what plastic do you suggest in the Meteor and the Mako3?

The Buzzz SS was 173g but with whatever replaces it I would like to go a little lighter since my other mid (Shark) is 174g. Really love throwing that 152g Sidewinder but I only have about 3 or 4 holes where I have a chance to use it on my home course. I'm thinking for the Mako3 or Meteor I want to go under 170g at least...maybe 165g or so.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the well wishes!!!

TripleB

For Meteors I prefer CryZtal plastic with esp a close second.

Latest posts