• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Declining to play through

RustyStrings615

Par Member
So, this happens to me quite frequently. I play a lot of solo rounds, yet I play relatively slowly compared to the others at my home course. I like to take my time..focus on the shot..and if it isn't crowded, which it usually isn't, I'll take some practice shots too.

When someone or a group catches up to me..I politely offer them to play through. Oftentimes they decline...only to stay right on my heels the whole round...driving while I am still putting...and playing much faster than me. I know they are also being polite, and say "oh no, it's cool, go ahead".

I just wonder if anyone else has encountered this conundrum. It's not a huge deal...I just don't know why they wouldn't rather play through and not have to wait on me every single hole. It does kinda throw my practice time a bit out of focus to know there's someone standing on the teepad waiting on me. So, just play through already!

Ugh :confused:

Get to the next tee, find a nice spot near the tee, have a seat and get comfy. When they catch up tell them to go ahead, and don't get up until they're putting out.

I've dealt with this, for similar reasons: I like to take a lot of practice shots and experiment with lines and such when playing by myself.

Usually I just jump to another hole if I can, and try to double back later to play the holes I missed. On my local course I have several "loops" where I play a group of holes several times: if people are gaining on me, I'll just slip into one of these. I think it confuses people sometimes to see me jumping out of order, but I can live with that if it means getting to practice and play the way I want to.

Get to the next tee, find a nice spot near the tee, have a seat and get comfy. When they catch up tell them to go ahead, and don't get up until they're putting out. Problem Solved!

Fixed that for you

Practice with distraction and distraction won't affect you as much.

I've dealt with this, for similar reasons: I like to take a lot of practice shots and experiment with lines and such when playing by myself.

Usually I just jump to another hole if I can, and try to double back later to play the holes I missed. On my local course I have several "loops" where I play a group of holes several times: if people are gaining on me, I'll just slip into one of these. I think it confuses people sometimes to see me jumping out of order, but I can live with that if it means getting to practice and play the way I want to.

Yeah, this is usually my plan of action. What's weird is that this happens only on my home course..which is mostly frequented by newer players. At other courses around where more advanced players play, they are eager to play through. So, it seems the newer players are truly trying to just be nice..almost like they feel guilty for playing though. So, I try not to get too frustrated.. Just nice people trying to be nice...so how can I blame them

Get to the next tee, find a nice spot near the tee, have a seat and get comfy. When they catch up tell them to go ahead, and don't get up until they're putting out.

I have a three-legged boxer with limited stamina...so I use a similar tactic when I bring her along. I say " oh, we're just taking a break, go ahead" ...even though she is a trooper..and begs to go play with me every time I put on my disc golf shoes :)

I can see why most people decline the invitation. Most people who have been playing golf long enough and have dealt with "play through" encounters enough to know that in most cases the smaller party is going to go faster than the larger one and worry that they are going to be holding you up at some point down the road. Granted, there are exceptions.

I've been playing juuuuust over a month, so I go ahead and tell them exactly that and add, "you ___ (2, 3, 4) will probably play faster than me, and I'm in no hurry"

Sometimes I have my 5yo with me. Younger dudes see that as me playing solo, but it actually takes longer, what with all the: "come BACK...no, BEHIND me", "DON'T pick that up!", "Yes, you can throw the pink one now", "Yes, we can stop on the playground", "No, you can't 'wash off' in the stream"

Haha

As mentioned above, I sit off the side on the teebox and politely wait. There have been a few times where I have been to get playing because they are actually watching how I am throwing.

When I normally go out to a course to throw multiple discs per hole, usually I just pick up after throwing because I can work on putting later. This does speed things up a little. I can throw four discs quicker than four players can throw one each.

I can see why most people decline the invitation. Most people who have been playing golf long enough and have dealt with "play through" encounters enough to know that in most cases the smaller party is going to go faster than the larger one and worry that they are going to be holding you up at some point down the road. Granted, there are exceptions.

This. :thmbup:

It is perception that the solo person is always gonna play faster than a group. They may be weary of playing thru thinking you may come back to pass them in a few holes.

Best bet is to better explain why you are playing slow, tell them you are taking multiple shots and/or practicing so they can better understand why they should opt to play thru the solo person. I am sure they are pretty confused as to how their group could play quicker than one person which is quite rare in most cases.

I've been playing juuuuust over a month, so I go ahead and tell them exactly that and add, "you ___ (2, 3, 4) will probably play faster than me, and I'm in no hurry"

Sometimes I have my 5yo with me. Younger dudes see that as me playing solo, but it actually takes longer, what with all the: "come BACK...no, BEHIND me", "DON'T pick that up!", "Yes, you can throw the pink one now", "Yes, we can stop on the playground", "No, you can't 'wash off' in the stream"

Haha

:hfive: Also have a 5 year old son playing "tag along". Usually, if I have to say "hey buddy, catch up!" four or five times, I just say "bye!" once, and he all of a sudden remembers how to listen, lol.

"It's nice to be nice..to the nice" - Frank Burns

Totally off-topic, but I use this quote all the time when people get "niced" on the course and nobody ever has a clue what the hell I am talking about. It made me laugh to see it here in a random thread on a disc golf board! I love M*A*S*H almost as much as I love disc golf.

I've noticed that when I play through, I always feel rushed and wind up pooching the hole.

^yeah we often throw multiple drives on some courses and let solo as well as groups through but always explain wtf we are doing and that they are welcome to take their time/do their thing, just like we are trying to do without rushing.

this really is not an issue with a little communication as previous posters mentioned above.