• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dedicated Markings for Greens

JonCatch

Bogey Member
Just wondering if you guys know any courses that have "Defined greens". That is, they have some sort of permanent marking which defines the 10 Meter Circle.

I was just thinking about it since I've never seen it. While the nicest looking may be just a well manicured green (think golf), I thought that Chalk would work well for a tournament or other temporary event. But even better I think would be "Whiskers" that surveyors use to mark out utilities. (see below). You could space them every 5'-10' around the circumference of the basket.

Just quick numbers. It would take ~1000 whiskers to encircle 3 pin positions per hole on a 18 hole course. Comes out to about $300 for raw materials (wood stake + whisker).

If I was putting together a course, it could be a cool addition to keep your course unique and memorable. Kinda like the "Arrow Tees" used at Community Park (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87710)

Just a thought.

Attachments

• whisker_highway.jpg
    whisker_highway.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 131
Not a terrible idea, but it's gonna cost you more than $300; I suspect you'd be replacing them pretty regularly.

Not a terrible idea, but it's gonna cost you more than $300; I suspect you'd be replacing them pretty regularly.

If we need to mark the 10m circles for a tournament, we just stretch a string taut and use a wand and striping paint. No need for a permanet thing for casual play

If we need to mark the 10m circles for a tournament, we just stretch a string taut and use a wand and striping paint. No need for a permanet thing for casual play

This works and is pretty cheap.

Paver bricks would be a great permanent idea. Much more expensive, but they'd last and be easy to see. Just bury them in the ground so they're level with the grass, then you can even mow over them.

Paver bricks would be a great permanent idea. Much more expensive, but they'd last and be easy to see. Just bury them in the ground so they're level with the grass, then you can even mow over them.

Great for grassy fields, it would be tougher to implement that in the woods though, and I see pavers used for next tee markers dug up all the time by chuckers.

We've spray-painted courses in Columbia before tournaments, which can last for while, depending on the surface. But an 18-hole course is about 2/3 mile of paint.

A proposed project is for a single green to be marked in old bricks, submerged to be flush with the ground surface. It's a green that is half-surrounded by road, so the workload will be less than a full green.

If you're really determined and have a grassy surface, I'd do it however it's done on athletic fields. That's fairly durable.

Perhaps you're right, but these things are pretty resilient. The manufactoror claims they can be mowed over and what not. I'm thinking you could bury them so that just 1" or so is exposed... Although if people want to rip them out/crush them - you can't really stop them.

^^ I like this too, definitely more expensive, but might be worth the up-front cost over the long term. Or how about glass bottles or other recyclables buried in the circle. Like the picture below but face down and flush with the ground. I think that would be pretty sick.

Attachments

• thumb_020_63.jpg
    thumb_020_63.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 60
Least expensive way would be to change the rule so there are no stance rule differences inside or beyond 10m. Of course, that might mean S&D ...and go! ;)

Or just do away with the putting/balance rule. This would also mean "no Circle."

If you don't define the green as the 10-meter circle, possibilities open up. You can approximate the circle with boards or timbers set flush in the ground, cheaper than bricks. And, of course, there are a lot of permanently-defined "Island Greens" out there.

Least expensive way would be to change the rule so there are no stance rule differences inside or beyond 10m. Of course, that might mean S&D ...and go! ;)

Or get rid of the chain assembly and pole above the basket so no one wants to jump or run when they putt.

For an actual contribution, Lakewood Hills has trenches at 10m. They're about big enough to lay bricks in, not big enough to mess up footing. They're mostly filled with wood chips because they also serve to provide an edge to contain the wood chips that surround all the grassy holes.

Idlewild has some "astroturf" greens... most likely necessitated by erosion, but still a "green" concept.

picture.php

Just curious, would dedicated greens or fairway outlines make a course more appealing? I'm thinking if a course had a well maintained fairway and/or green, would that attract people to a pay to play course?

I would love to play on a course as well maintained as a ball golf course, but with the hazards and design of a disc golf course.

The course i played in spokane had a 10m ammount of braided cable around the bottom of the pole. I do like the idea of laying out a 10m area for the green and even if the casual players dont know what it's for, but might ask someone about the random circle around the hole but it lets everyone who arent just there for a quick round have a point of reference distance to the hole.

Might be less expensive to mount a retracting steel tape to the post for tournaments. Let any member of a group require it to be used (30 sec rule suspended during use).

^^^ hmmm, so that's been thought of <g>

Just curious, would dedicated greens or fairway outlines make a course more appealing? I'm thinking if a course had a well maintained fairway and/or green, would that attract people to a pay to play course?
On most park style disc golf courses, a well maintained fairway usually means the non-fairway areas are usually less than well maintained. Those sort of things add to the aesthetic value of a course, but they seldom up the challenge factor any. Bryant Lake Park in the Twin Cities comes to mind.

You also have to remember that some courses have multiple pin positions, and unlike ball golf when we move a basket from one position to another the green moves with it. Making dedicated features for one of those positions is perhaps not worth the effort when its only used part of the time.

It would be kind of cool if a rule allowed defined greens of varying shapes and sizes that would act as the circle, an oval green that could possibly allow you to jump putt from 15' or force you to hold your stance at 50'.

It would be kind of cool if a rule allowed defined greens of varying shapes and sizes that would act as the circle, an oval green that could possibly allow you to jump putt from 15' or force you to hold your stance at 50'.

So, basically, any ol' 314 square meter area would do. :p

Sounds good to me!

Karl
Ps: And while we're at it, 'defining' the green's edge at 10m is nutso IMO; more appropriately it's around 30m or so (as this is where people start thinking "putt" and stop thinking "approach").

Latest posts