• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deeper discs are turning over forehand. Advice?

tlatoani

Bogey Member
Hi All,
I'm still sort of learning here. I primarily throw RHFH, at least until I get within ~100. I picked up several mvp/axiom discs from the DD sale. I really like the fairway drivers; so far they are going 250ish on up to about 300. (that's good for me)
The midranges and putters just are not working. Every throw turns over hard and ends up a roller. I CAN slow down and they work, but they only go ~75-100 at that speed. Am I just torquing too much, but the fairways can hold up to it? I much prefer the thinner grip on the fairway discs...

Make sure you finish upward with the hand and your grip is not too loose.

all disc have a "speed limit". Without watching your throw I would guess the mids and putters you are using can not withstand your power. Not sure who told you to flick putters and mids...but if you insist slow em down like you have been. GL

video proof of pros flicking mids/putters plz. hard to find.

edit add* try base line plastic drivers for touch instead of mids putters. (DX, Pro D, uhhhh)

Last edited:
I've been having this problem too, but only with Wizards for some reason. Magnets, Mercies, Rhynos (not surprising) , and Voodoos are the other main putters I've used for a significant amount of time, but Wizards are the only one ones I've had trouble flicking. I can't figure it out :(

all disc have a "speed limit". Without watching your throw I would guess the mids and putters you are using can not withstand your power. Not sure who told you to flick putters and mids...but if you insist slow em down like you have been. GL

edit add* try base line plastic drivers for touch instead of mids putters. (DX, Pro D, uhhhh)

I completely disagree. I personally have a pretty inconsistent forehand, but I've thrown putters and mids out to 200' with a fh and I've seen multiple players get a lot more than that out of slower discs. It's definitely more touchy to do so, but that's because it's difficult to throw a clean fh shot with a lot of power for most of us, not because of a limitation on the discs.

Ricky Wysocki does a lot, watch some tourney footage of him. And he certainly would have enough power to flip them, he gets 400-450 with drivers all the time.

I do flick OS mids on the course all of the time, I would way rather do that from 100-150' than use a Firebird or something. It's a useful skill to have.

But OP, I have trouble flicking my MVP putters far as well (not blaming the brand, I just happen to use the same discs). I think it's partly that it's deep, partly that the rim is narrow, and a lot to do with my technique. It needs a good pop/snap at the end, rather than arm speed going in. I try to practice these shots on the field since I really think that they help my flick technique in the long run...but on the course I just disc up to an OS mid so that I don't risk flubbing it over.

Ricky Wysocki and Jerm Koling do it all the time, often out to about 350 feet.

To the OP: have you tried putting more hyzer on it? I don't know what your sidearm technique is like, but if your usual sidearm drives come out of your hand flat or any I can see why you would have a problem with mids/putters. have you tried throwing them higher with more hyzer?

I think it's partly that it's deep, partly that the rim is narrow, and a lot to do with my technique.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Ultimate lids are WAY deeper and WWWWAAAAYYYY flippier than the deepest and flippiest dg putters and mids, but Utimate players routinely flick them 70-80 yards.

It's all about technique. Learn to flick a lid, and flicking putters and mids will be a piece of cake.

^^^^^

LOL

I'd love to see Simon Lizotte's take on discs having a speed limit. If you told him that maybe he'd have to stop throwing neutral putters 450

I'm most definitely in the technique camp on this subject. I routinely flick putters and mids, primarily MVP, so it's not a disc or strength issue. Deeper rimmed discs do take more time to develop good form though. They will also help you develop better form. Once they start flying as they should, that's the time when you can start increasing your arm speed. I would recommend working on shaping lines with your putters and mids. Whether that be 50' or 150'. When those shots become reliable, you will be able to increase your distances with more control and less effort.

Thanks folks. Interesting discussion. I had a bit of field time tonight and had a little bit more success. I do usually throw pretty flat, but have been trying a bit more hyzer to balance out the turn. Had several go out around 200, which was a big improvement.
I'm not sure it'll happen with the anode or ion, but the envy wasn't too bad. I can get a much better grip on it.