• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

$125 is expensive to me for Merrell's, even with GoreTex. They had them for $75 on sale at Dicks.

Nevados are now my permanent discing shoes. Unfortunately, I went through my last pair in only 7 months. Still, that's not too bad. Of course, they're hard to find, even on the Interwebz.

Actually I love these shoes so much I might dedicate myself to improving my form and picking up my toe instead of dragging it to improve their longevity!!!

Attachments

• nevados.jpg
    nevados.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 22
man thats a bummer, I hope i have better luck with them. I play half natural and half concrete pads, so mine should last a little more. I'm surprised you had issues with the soles though, I would think they would be the same as the ones on the Moabs that everyone seems to love. Also I would think these would be terrible for a forehand player. I found that when i used to throw FH I would drag my right toe, and these just looks like they are invite a blown out toe.

they are so comfortable though, even if they only last me a year, they might just be worth it. I actually threw them on this morning with my work clothes hoping they wouldn't look ridiculous as office attire, but I just couldn't see them working :(

It's a great shoe, but (IMO) not a good disc golf shoe - especially if you throw from concrete tee pads. I have worn Chameleons for the past 8 months - about 4 months ago my right sole developed a crack. I have still continued playing with them, but now the sole, at the front, is starting to come off.

I am sure much of this also depends on one's throwing technique. I am a RHBH, so the wear of planting on that foot has taken it's toll on the shoe. Maybe if you flick, it won't have that kind of wear.

It is sad, because it is an extremely sturdy, waterproof and non-constricting shoe - really a perfect combination. I am in the market now for something with a flatter sole/tread on the bottom. Good luck!

So at the risk of more post police I am going to ask about New Balance. There are some 606 trail walkers on sale near me for $45 and I need a new pair of shoes to play in.

Attachments

• New-Balance-MW606BR-LG.jpg
    New-Balance-MW606BR-LG.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 23
Out of curiosity, how many of you play with a pair of boots or high top shoes? I've been running with the Moab Ventilators since last June, but they are just getting torn up faster than I would have imagined. I am contemplating giving my Asolo hiking boots a shot, but didn't know how the crazy ankle support would feel on the course. Anyone rocking the full hiking boots? :)

i went with a pair of merrils the gortex waterproof ones.. they were nice for a good year and half.. they are starting to fall apart a bit... still in good shape not as waterproof as they once were tho... but i am under the impression most DG shoe's don't last very long if ur Discaholic

I've found that 5-10 Camp Four shoes are an excellent shoe for wet conditions and rougher terrain. They work great on wet concrete pads, way better the Keen shoes I have or any other shoes I've tried. Another great feature is the molded heel - the upper doesn't separate from the sole. A problem that I encounter all the time.

Here is a link:

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/40-camp-four

And pic:

40_450101_1260004142.jpg
I dig these shoes, but they were pretty darn stiff for me. So I tried the Impacts (high top mountain bike shoes). Still stiff, but after a month of playing. The fit and feel is awesome! and the sole isn't even close to pulling away from the midsole. Very grippy though and could be a problem on rubber pads? but have yet to play on some. By far the best shoe I've tried for disc golf! Now we'll see how long the Stealth soles will last? So far 6+ months and still looking good!

Bites from gottagogottathrow.com

30 bucks for vibram soles and decent uppers. Not the greatest in the world, but for 30 bucks I can afford to replace them every year or two. Mine have been going strong for over a year now and no issues. Just make sure and add an insole when you get them. Biggest down side is they are not waterproof.

Out of curiosity, how many of you play with a pair of boots or high top shoes? I've been running with the Moab Ventilators since last June, but they are just getting torn up faster than I would have imagined. I am contemplating giving my Asolo hiking boots a shot, but didn't know how the crazy ankle support would feel on the course. Anyone rocking the full hiking boots? :)
I just started playing with some high tops (5-10 Impacts). With a gift card, I figured I had nothing to loose. So I thought I'd go a little out of the box. So far these are the best disc golf shoes I have ever tried! and I've tried...Montrails, Vasque, Merrell, The North Face etc...Now, they are not perfect, but the closest I've tried and once I got use to the high top feel. I really began to like the added ankle support.

pDSP1-6285522dt.jpg

These are awesome. I've had them for a few months now and the amount of grip they have to the concrete tee pads without showing any signs of wear on the soles is amazing.

as I stated earlier i got these for my B Day, Ive only worn them a few times, but I have to agree that the grip is awesome.

Love my Gore-Tex Moabs. The Vibram soles are unreal, and having a virtually waterproof shoe is invaluable.
Plus I had a $50 Dick's gift card, and they were on sale at the time. Woooo

I too have been lookin for "the shoe" I've been digging my Five-Ten or 5-10 Impact's. I'm also trying their "approach" shoes as well.
Their biggest neg is their rigidity (at 1st), but their "Stealth" soles are uber sticky. Great for wet weather, it's like throwing from a dry pad, but I've also had no issues on dry pads (too sticky). The Impacts are going on seven months and are still looking great. No peeling soles, no torn up toes, but I'm not sure how long the "stealth" rubber will last?
Now back to the rigidity, they are stiff, but now feel fine and offer great lateral support. We'll see how their approach shoes do in a few weeks?
Now I've tried many shoes...Merrills, Montrails, Salomon, Vasque, Nike, Vans...etc...But these 5-10's are something! Not cheap, but I can't believe the sole and toe area are still intact!
Oh, one last thing. I'm a big guy (220ish) and have a wide foot. So the rigidity of these shoes might be an issue for smaller people.

Peace!

Last edited:
I used to religiously wear my Nike 5.0 freerunning shoes. I wore them for everything except formal events. They strengthen your feet and legs and offer lots of tactile feel and grip. I loved them. When they got wet, it would only take 15-20 minutes to dry. It was only a matter of whether or not to wear socks with those shoes. Best $50 I ever spent. Since I wore them out(4 years of concrete pads and roughly 15,000mi of running/hiking/climbing), I have found that going barefoot is the best way to do it. Doesn't matter if your feet get wet or muddy, never problems with ventilation, and all the grip your toes will allow. Although, I am Native American and don't get poison ivy, bug bites, or cuts/scratches from rocks and roots.

Latest posts