• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Delaware Disc Golf Challenge

Latest tracking info on Florence shows the eye most likely won't be near/over Delaware, but it will probably be close enough, with the timing of the landfall, that the whole weekend will be wet and windy. The touring folks heading north and east out of Vermont today instead of south are looking like the smart ones at the moment.

41467947_2202062190082715_2189484116007714816_n.jpg

Media coverage has been updated.
Jomez Productions (Open lead card, next-day)
The Disc Golf Guy (Open Women's lead card, next-day)
Gatekeeper Media (Open chase card, next-week)

This is unique

By: A.J. Risley #25890
Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 13:43

An ode to Iron Hill, where shall I begin?
What will it take to secure the win?

Of this unique track, many are unaware.
This most difficult course is found in northern Delaware.

Nearly a decade as a regional A-Tier,
The Delaware Disc Golf Challenge joins the National Tour this year.

Not quite a secret, but a slightly hidden gem.
When it comes to a challenge, the Hill hangs with the best of them.

Eighteen holes, over 10,000 feet.
But a big arm alone might not compete.

"What is par?" you might ask. I've got news for you.
This behemoth touts a par of 72!

Ten par-4s, and only four par-3s.
That's what you get when play the Gold tees.

And your math is correct, there are four par-5s.
Missing trees makes one feel like a cat with nine lives.

Countless trees line these wooded fairways.
It takes an open mind to navigate this maze.

Let's talk about holes, I'll start with 17.
A par-5, "The Gauntlet," this bad boy reigns supreme.

Over 800 feet to a green on a mound.
Driving lanes are scarce, and bogeys abound.

The gap off the tee makes for a demanding drive.
Land in the middle to keep birdie chances alive.

The rest of the fairway will test one's creativity.
Flex shots or hyzer flips -- depends on one's proclivity.

To top it all off, the green is unique.
As the kids say, upshots need to be on fleek.

The rest of the course is not much different.
The key to success is good course management.

Preparation out here must be meticulous.
Playing blind is a notion most ridiculous.

Each and every throw must be expertly planned.
But that's why we practice, to learn the lay of the land.

Patience is a virtue, birdies don't come easy.
An excess of tree kicks might make one queasy.

Jimi and his crew fail to disappoint their crowd.
Their endless hours of work show, and they should be proud.

After the videos display the fairways and their curves,
Iron Hill will finally get the recognition it deserves.

NT event and no Paige P . . strange of her not to play a few of the big ones this year

NT event and no Paige P . . strange of her not to play a few of the big ones this year

She is playing a big one this weekend, just not THE big one...the Canadian National Championships. Sponsored by DD, so there's a fair contingent of the team representing there, and I believe she's doing a couple clinics for the tournament as well. Probably just as good a payday as she'd have gotten in Delaware.

She is playing a big one this weekend, just not THE big one...the Canadian National Championships. Sponsored by DD, so there's a fair contingent of the team representing there, and I believe she's doing a couple clinics for the tournament as well. Probably just as good a payday as she'd have gotten in Delaware.

Aha, quite a small FPO field . . but i se Sexton and Simon is playing this one instead of the NT

Iron Hill is a great course, both well thought out and well executed- I hope it can be captured well on video.

Bunch of videos out there already, most of them Disc Golf Monthly episodes (RIP Cubby). Search Youtube for "Delaware Disc Golf Challenge" and you'll find several. If DGM can do it, Jomez will be even better! :thmbup:

Florence gonna rain on this parade?

Nah, we won't see anything from the storm till Monday or so in the DC area. They should be good. It always possible a storm or two breaks off but it a good distance away.

Unfortunately its just going to sit in North Carolina/South Carolina for a couple of days.

Who would have thought it possible to play a par 72 NT course and get good scoring separation without a single penalty (FPO)? ;)

Its also refreshing to see a course set up the way it should be. 4 par5s, 4 par3s and the rest par4s.

But guys like Paul McBeth is not playing the course on par...not many pars at all

But guys like Paul McBeth is not playing the course on par...not many pars at all
McBeth has to shoot about -11 down on this course (-8 to 69 SSA) to shoot his rating. So it looks like he's got a chance to get to 1050+ on the last two holes.

Looks like Even par for the women was rated 957 which is right where it should be for a Blue level challenge.

Last edited:

Latest posts