• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Delaware Disc Golf Challenge

Is Hokom ever going to be called on her illegal jump putts? On one of her jump putts she had to be close to a foot in the air and still had the disc in her hand.

Not sure, Other players do the jump putts too and get away with it too at times. Problem is the players that do this know to do it when nobody else on the card is looking. Walkthrough putting with one MPO are even worse then her with the jump putts but I forget the player and nobody calls them even though they are obvious. I think it might have been Eagle when he was march stomping during an event he was not doing so hot in this year but could be wrong.

If she is doing the true over the line of the disc/marker when she is releasing her putt then it is a true jump putt. Not sure if just being in the air during putting is illegal or not but I have eliminated my jumping when putting from 35 feet and up just to be safe should I ever enter a PDGA Tournament again.

Not sure, Other players do the jump putts too and get away with it too at times. Problem is the players that do this know to do it when nobody else on the card is looking. Walkthrough putting with one MPO are even worse then her with the jump putts but I forget the player and nobody calls them even though they are obvious. I think it might have been Eagle when he was march stomping during an event he was not doing so hot in this year but could be wrong.

If she is doing the true over the line of the disc/marker when she is releasing her putt then it is a true jump putt. Not sure if just being in the air during putting is illegal or not but I have eliminated my jumping when putting from 35 feet and up just to be safe should I ever enter a PDGA Tournament again.

Yes, air putts are illegal. Have to have a "supporting point" on your lie, when you release the disc.

And what about this, at the 8:05 mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vdHxyrkw8c&t=1116s

And it's probably been answered somewhere else, but what's the war paint on her right arm about?

Your link drops into the video in the 18th minute, which isn't what you are aiming for I don't think. I don't see anything off about the 8:05 spot. Hokom's in a straddle and the camera angle makes it appear like her off-foot is too far forward but as the shot is in the air and you see where the basket actually is, it's clear the camera angle is deceiving. She looks 100% legal to me.

As for her "warpaint", it's KT tape for her shoulder. She wears it all the time.

The notion that players are only step putting or jump putting when no one is looking implies two things. First, the players on their cards aren't doing their jobs and no one is watching the top players in the world. Second, that these players are knowingly cheating. I'm not sure I'm willing to accept either premise.

A few days ago, long time player, Bruce Brake commented on this. It is only with the introduction of video that we can see these foot faults in many cases. The solution is to assume that if you can't tell, it's a fault. That rule structure forces players out of the push the step release point to the edge mind set, into a that disc needs to be well clear by the step point, mindset.

^ yup.
I've been using it to give kudos (as is Koling, in this instance at least). Thought it was funny, is all.

At some point the top level golfers will figure out that they are losing tournaments because they aren't calling other players for foot faults. Kristin Tattar was 5 strokes behind Hokom and Hokom had several obvious foot faults(at least on video) and many other questionable ones. That's enough penalty strokes that Tattar could have won. In some cases one or two foot fault calls is all it take to get a player to start playing poorly.

At some point the top level golfers will figure out that they are losing tournaments because they aren't calling other players for foot faults. Kristin Tattar was 5 strokes behind Hokom and Hokom had several obvious foot faults(at least on video) and many other questionable ones. That's enough penalty strokes that Tattar could have won. In some cases one or two foot fault calls is all it take to get a player to start playing poorly.

The problem with that is that no one wants to be known as the player who calls violations just so they can win.

I agree that faults need to be called more, and that calling faults will lead to changes in how players play their rounds, but the motivations have to be correct. I don't think viewing it in the light of "player X could have won if they'd just called player Y on their foot faults" is going to win anyone over.

Honestly, what would be better is if the winning player in that scenario would look at the video, realize they foot fault a lot, and make the necessary adjustments themselves so they aren't winning solely because they're getting away with something.

I agree that faults need to be called more, and that calling faults will lead to changes in how players play their rounds, but the motivations have to be correct. I don't think viewing it in the light of "player X could have won if they'd just called player Y on their foot faults" is going to win anyone over.

I was just pointing out that it is something to consider. If the pros are willing to lose a tournament because they don't want to call a foot fault that is up to them.

I think after situations like Barry Schultz calling out Nikko on a foot fault, and not only Nikko, turning into a situation where the person making the call is Villified. Anyone remember Climo and PB calling Scott Stokely Repeatedly on a foot fault? That didn't go over so well. Video footage makes everyone able to officiate from their computer chair and I'll bet that makes the Pro's much more hesitant to make a call, even when appropriate.

Sorry, that was Bruce Brakel,

There is another self-called sport that has a rule that goes something like this: The player shall compete in such a manner that the other players can verify compliance with the rules.

Under that rule, if something happens so fast that you'd need slow motion to know that the player wasn't breaking the rule, the player would be breaking the rule.

Latest posts