• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deleted UDisc reviews?

The problem with Udisc is they only give 5 possible choices for a course rating, whereas DGCR gives us 11.

5 choices is a very narrow range to fit a descriptive rating into, so most everything ends up overrated.

And I've also rated courses on Udisc that have received (and deserved) a rating of 1.

The problem with Udisc is they only give 5 possible choices for a course rating, whereas DGCR gives us 11.

5 choices is a very narrow range to fit a descriptive rating into, so most everything ends up overrated.

And I've also rated courses on Udisc that have received (and deserved) a rating of 1.

How is 5 too few? If you can assign a course one of 5 ratings, you're overthinking it. The best courses will be 4 or 5, average courses a 3, and the bad ones a 1 or 2.

BTW, you can give half ratings on UDisc so it's a moot point.

How is 5 too few?

Compared to 11, I'd say it's a much narrower range.

If you can assign a course one of 5 ratings, you're overthinking it. The best courses will be 4 or 5, average courses a 3, and the bad ones a 1 or 2.

I'm assuming you meant 'can't assign' and I'm not saying I can't assign a 1- 5 rating. What I'm saying is it's not going to be as descriptive compared to ratings here on DGCR.

BTW, you can give half ratings on UDisc so it's a moot point.

Not on the app which I'm sure is what most people are using to give their ratings.

You're arbitrarily eliminating the lowest rating on a grading scale? Sounds a lot like UDisc's rating scale where the majority of course's all fall between 3.0 - 5.0. Also, you may want to avoid reading 127 of my reviews. They don't meet your minimum threshold.

I'm not eliminating any ratings. I give at least a 1 to any course that is playable even if it stinks. I only give a 0 or .5 to a course that I consider unplayable (not just bad) or unsafe.
I agree, UDisc ratings are generally higher than DGCR's.

You certainly can give half points on the app. I do it all the time.

When I click 'rate' I see 5 blank stars, but I'm sure you're correct.

Regardless, I don't read Udisc reviews or give any credence to Udisc ratings whatsoever. No offence to Udisc, it's a good app and I do use it for the map feature. But for a course bagger, it lacks compared to the DGCR app. Just my opinion.

The culture of reviewing, on apps at least, has changed from a traditional sense of assessment to providing support. All the podcasts and YT channels remind listeners and viewers to "give us a rating" because "they help a lot." How do they help? I'm a little fuzzy on that. So, you end up with a number of different groups:

1. Those who feel obligated to rate
2. Those who are fans
3. Those who are not fans
4. The people who don't rate

With most social media that people commit themselves to engaging, fans are going to outnumber non-fans by a large number. So, rating inflation skewing there. How do the obligated rate? And how many are there? Not sure.

My thesis would be that the way ratings work in social media spaces and are asked for — "it would really help if you would rate us"—leads to inflated ratings because 1) fans are more likely to rate and at higher ratings and 2) a not insignificant number of people "5 star" things in an obligatory fashion.

DGCR seems to be largely situated in an older tradition aligned with movies, books, restaurants, etc. The result is fewer reviews but ones largely undertaken purposefully with the intent of providing a valid assessment (valid as defined by the person reviewing) so to contribute to accurate rankings and to aid other players considering the course.

I think the distinction helps explain in part the "how dare you rate my course in alignment with your assessment when I put so much work into it" reaction. That type of assessment is not made "in support." The social media "help us by rating us" idea doesn't much care about the end user (the player looking into playing the course). The ratings are for the sake of securing rankings. I mean, have you looked at UDisc's best rated courses by state. Ewww.

Last edited:
When I click 'rate' I see 5 blank stars, but I'm sure you're correct.

ZFc0A1Q.jpg

The culture of reviewing, on apps at least, has changed from a traditional sense of assessment to providing support. All the podcasts and YT channels remind listeners and viewers to "give us a rating" because "they help a lot." How do they help? I'm a little fuzzy on that. So, you end up with a number of different groups:

1. Those who feel obligated to rate
2. Those who are fans
3. Those who are not fans
4. The people who don't rate

With most social media that people commit themselves to engaging, fans are going to outnumber non-fans by a large number. So, rating inflation skewing there. How do the obligated rate? And how many are there? Not sure.

My thesis would be that the way ratings work in social media spaces and are asked for — "it would really help if you would rate us"—leads to inflated ratings because 1) fans are more likely to rate and at higher ratings and 2) a not insignificant number of people "5 star" things in an obligatory fashion.

DGCR seems to be largely situated in an older tradition aligned with movies, books, restaurants, etc. The result is fewer reviews but ones largely undertaken purposefully with the intent of providing a valid assessment (valid as defined by the person reviewing) so to contribute to accurate rankings and to aid other players considering the course.

I think the distinction helps explain in part the "how dare you rate my course in alignment with your assessment when I put so much work into it" reaction. That type of assessment is not made "in support." The social media "help us by rating us" idea doesn't much care about the end user (the player looking into playing the course). The ratings are for the sake of securing rankings. I mean, have you looked at UDisc's best rated courses by state. Ewww.

I totally agree with your analysis. Well done. :clap:

As I said, I'm sure Craig was correct. I just checked, and I hadn't known about sliding my finger across to give half star ratings. Not the most intuitive feature, so now even more I wonder how many people are giving accurate reviews on Udisc.

Craig, if you wrote the Udisc app, I'm sorry for offending you. You have always written great reviews here, and I'm sure your reviews on Udisc are equally as good, but you would be the exception, not the rule.

I'm not bashing Udisc..it's a great app and I'm sure I don't use it to its potential, but for bagging courses I will always stand by my statement:

A $25 subscription to DGCR > $5 subscription to Udisc. Change my mind.

In my area, UDisc is the must have app for scorekeeping, absolutely everyone has it and uses it. I don't use the distance tracking because the GPS coverage in my area is spotty.
Personally, I prefer DGCR when deciding which courses to play when I am traveling.

In my area, UDisc is the must have app for scorekeeping, absolutely everyone has it and uses it. I don't use the distance tracking because the GPS coverage in my area is spotty.
Personally, I prefer DGCR when deciding which courses to play when I am traveling.

The biggest advantage to UDisc is their online map. Makes playing courses so much easier.

The biggest advantage to UDisc is their online map. Makes playing courses so much easier.

Agree with this 100%. It's basically one of 2 reasons I use it. The other is for locating courses that aren't on DGCR on road trips.

I've scored exactly 3 rounds on Udisc. Those were for courses not listed on here. I added them as soon as I got home. For 5 bucks a year it's worth it for those 2 features alone. But the "reviews"? No thanks.

giving it a 1 is misleading nonsense and an insult to the builders.

Of the 300+ courses I've played, I would rate this course in the bottom 10 percent. Granted, most of the courses I've written reviews for and rated 0.5-1.5 have significant issues. How else should I rate a wide-open course with a monotonous and mostly uninteresting design?

The "misleading nonsense" is all the 4.0-5.0 reviews this course has received on UDisc.

By the way, the "builders" of this course have been vocal about asking for donations to help them complete this boring course. That could be considered insulting ...

My reason for breaking from convention and posting a brief review on UDisc was to help educate those considering on whether to play this course, because the 4.4 rating and glowing reviews are extremely misleading. In my deleted review, I suggested that if you weren't local (I'm not) or a serious course bagger (I am), you should pass on this course.

It sounds like the OP gave a rating of 1 to offset the high reviews a course was getting.

I believe in using the full range of ratings (0.5 to 5.0) in my reviews of playable courses. For me, this course is definitely near the bottom of the 300+ courses I've played.

Granted, I was a little frustrated to drive about 40 minutes "out of my way" to have such a disappointing experience. But I posted photos on DGCR and will write a review soon so those on DGCR can make a more informed decision about this course.

I believe in using the full range of ratings (0.5 to 5.0) in my reviews of playable courses. For me, this course is definitely near the bottom of the 300+ courses I've played.

Granted, I was a little frustrated to drive about 40 minutes "out of my way" to have such a disappointing experience. But I posted photos on DGCR and will write a review soon so those on DGCR can make a more informed decision about this course.

Sorry Cerealman, but any course with a tank parked in the fairway gets at least a 2.5 in my book! :D

I was wondering if that was the course.

I haven't played it, but the locals seem to love it.

I'm suspicious that the locals are being bribed by the local disc golf shop / sponsor.

Not sure why this boring garbage course is getting so much positive attention. A few miles away, the Claytons is a fantastic 18-hole course that is worthy of its glowing reviews.

Latest posts