• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deleted UDisc reviews?

Cerealman

Diamond Trusted Reviewer | Twin dad | Cereal fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Have you ever had UDisc reviews deleted?

So I played a fairly new course recently. Nine holes with glowing reviews on the UDisc app; it has a 4.4 rating from 80 users with only very positive reviews.

News flash: The course isn't very good.

I'll be writing a DGCR review soon (which would be the course's first), but I felt swindled. So I wrote a few sentences on UDisc to balance out the misleading nonsense. I said the course was mostly wide open holes in a field, boring and that unless you were local or a serious course bagger, you should pass on this course. Gave it a 1.0, which is an accurate rating from me. It's definitely in the bottom 10 percent of the 308 courses I've played.

A few days later, my review was apparently reported and deleted.

I'm aware that UDisc ratings require much skepticism, but even more so, if reviews/ratings are being deleted...

Wouldn't really surprise me at all considering the complete sh*t show that their ratings are. Guessing the land manager/steward or course designer was offended and hit them up to request it be removed? If they're doing that to honest and thoughtful reviews, pretty shameful...

I think this highlights the problem with requests to censor reviews on this site as well. Ratings don't mean a thing to me, reviews do. I should be allowed to wade through and determine which reviews I deem valuable. Good or bad. I would be just as unhappy if we started pulling down homer reviews here.

The ratings on UDisc are so arbitrary compared to this site, but they have more people throwing the ratings up since it's so easy. I checked a course I played in 2015 yesterday and there have only been two reviews on here since, but has 5 since august on Udisc.

Indeed. In fact, I haven't wasted my time writing reviews on UDisc. But since there were so many glowing and inaccurate reviews for this course (one reviewer said it was "open but technical"), I decided to help the UDisc community by sharing my take. And maybe influence other disc golfers not to take a long drive to play a garbage course.

Oh well. I tried. :)

Much more detailed DGCR review coming soon ...

The ratings on UDisc are so arbitrary compared to this site, but they have more people throwing the ratings up since it's so easy. I checked a course I played in 2015 yesterday and there have only been two reviews on here since, but has 5 since august on Udisc.

I have the same experience but sometimes there's not much new to say about a course after it's been reviewed pretty extensively here even a decade after. At least if it's maintained. Some get put up and just go into stasis, neither improving nor declining noticeably over time.

On-topic, Udisc reviews tend to be inflated. It seems nearly everything is either a 3.5 or up, or a 1 or below.

I have the same experience but sometimes there's not much new to say about a course after it's been reviewed pretty extensively here even a decade after..

Discette once said she updates the pictures which I think is a great idea. Scroll through the photos on a course's page and it's surprising to see just how many are hers.

There are so many courses I've played that I don't recognize from the pictures here.

I checked a couple of courses on U-Disc and in both cases the ratings outnumbered the reviews by more than 10 to 1. Furthermore, most of the reviews are 1 or 2 sentences long.
It's just so easy for someone to click "4" or "5" for a weak course.
It's also pretty easy to write a positive sentence or two for a weak course.
It's a lot more difficult to "lie" for several paragraphs to justify a 4 or 5 for a weak course.
I believe this is why courses get higher ratings on U-Disc or Google maps, compared to DGCR.
I realize this doesn't answer the OP's question about deleted ratings. :D

I checked a couple of courses on U-Disc and in both cases the ratings outnumbered the reviews by more than 10 to 1. Furthermore, most of the reviews are 1 or 2 sentences long.
It's just so easy for someone to click "4" or "5" for a weak course.
It's also pretty easy to write a positive sentence or two for a weak course.
It's a lot more difficult to "lie" for several paragraphs to justify a 4 or 5 for a weak course.
I believe this is why courses get higher ratings on U-Disc or Google maps, compared to DGCR.
I realize this doesn't answer the OP's question about deleted ratings. :D

I have always been able to use Disc Golf Scene for all of the above. It was fairly useless there as well.

i know for a fact the preserve pulled a few reviews (it wasnt from me) from udisc when it first opened

idk i mean there is fake reviews on here too we all can think of a recently top rated course that is awfully suspicious

plus all the homer reviews

udisc seems to rate "fun" factor over actual course quality

I so don't get overselling ratings.

If anything, I'd tend to hammer courses in hopes that I don't count 23 people standing around on holes 15/16/17 the next time I walk around the corner on a really nice Friday afternoon.

It is rather frustrating that anyone can go on and rate the course with no vetting process.

Have you ever had UDisc reviews deleted?

So I played a fairly new course recently. Nine holes with glowing reviews on the UDisc app; it has a 4.4 rating from 80 users with only very positive reviews.

News flash: The course isn't very good.

I'll be writing a DGCR review soon (which would be the course's first), but I felt swindled. So I wrote a few sentences on UDisc to balance out the misleading nonsense. I said the course was mostly wide open holes in a field, boring and that unless you were local or a serious course bagger, you should pass on this course. Gave it a 1.0, which is an accurate rating from me. It's definitely in the bottom 10 percent of the 308 courses I've played.

A few days later, my review was apparently reported and deleted.

I'm aware that UDisc ratings require much skepticism, but even more so, if reviews/ratings are being deleted...
You gave it a 1. What did you expect? Of course it was deleted. No matter what you may think of a course, a lot of people put out a lot of effort to build it and giving it a 1 is misleading nonsense and an insult to the builders.

You gave it a 1. What did you expect? Of course it was deleted. No matter what you may think of a course, a lot of people put out a lot of effort to build it and giving it a 1 is misleading nonsense and an insult to the builders.

You're right; the builders put in hard work, they should be credited with the work they did, and they should be thanked.

People should also be aware of what a course offers. If you haven't experienced it yourself, how can you tell what a course (or anything) offers without nuanced pinions? If everyone says "this is good" then that means nothing. The builders need to know that their course isn't for everyone and accept some negatives.

So, you're saying no rating should be lower than a 2 or 3? In that case 2 becomes the new 1 and indicates that a course isn't good.

So, you're saying no rating should be lower than a 2 or 3? In that case 2 becomes the new 1 and indicates that a course isn't good.

To me, a rating of 1 is for a course that is bordering on unplayable. Things like missing baskets, safety issues, little or no signs, terrible design, etc.
It sounds like the OP gave a rating of 1 to offset the high reviews a course was getting.

Though the criticism may be hurtful, when so much effort has been invested, the reviews and ratings are NOT about those involved in a course.

To take them personally is on you. It is your choice and freedom of thought. The ownership of your feelings should not be put upon someone voicing an opinion of a course.

I don't think anyone should be able to tell a reviewer that they are right or wrong. We can disagree, but censorship is an ugly process.

What did I expect? I expect that the review be left for other to decide its value.

To me, a rating of 1 is for a course that is bordering on unplayable. Things like missing baskets, safety issues, little or no signs, terrible design, etc.
It sounds like the OP gave a rating of 1 to offset the high reviews a course was getting.

You're arbitrarily eliminating the lowest rating on a grading scale? Sounds a lot like UDisc's rating scale where the majority of course's all fall between 3.0 - 5.0. Also, you may want to avoid reading 127 of my reviews. They don't meet your minimum threshold.