• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Denver, one day, with gf

kamojoe

Hey yall,

My girlfriend and I are going to Denver for a six day vacation September 18-23. I convinced her that one day has to be devoted to disc golf. Browsing the courses in the area, I have broken it down to three courses: Beaver Ranch, Phantom Falls, and Bailey. My girlfriend usually complains a bit if it's either too much golf, or too much walking/elevation. So, I am wondering what some of you would recommend for me? My guess is that I should either choose between just playing Phantom Falls or playing Beaver Ranch and Bailey. Keep in mind that scenery is a big plus for us so that my girlfriend can enjoy it too.

Thanks

Go to Phantom.

Bailey is a HIKE, lots of elevation. Conifer is a little mellower, but is quite a hike - 1/2 mile to get to the first tee, then like 500' gain in the first couple holes, a bitchy gf will be complaining off the bat.

Phantom is friendlier for the casual round, shorter holes, not much distance to hike. It's not a walk in the park mind you, quite a bit of elevation and some rougher terrain, but should be more enjoyable.

What Martin said, but also bear in mind if you play Phantom, be sure to make a reservation, and if you play all 38 holes, you'll need to allow yourself about 5 hours to complete it to get the full experience. It would be a BIG stretch to knock these 3 out in one day, and your puppies would be barking hard and loud.

Conifer is a little mellower, but is quite a hike - 1/2 mile to get to the first tee, then like 500' gain in the first couple holes, a bitchy gf will be complaining off the bat.

THIS. My wife plays and she was not happy about the walk to the course and the beat down that is the first few holes up the hill.

if you play conifer, don't be a tool and walk the half of mile. pull up to the next pull off past the information booth, pay the fee, and walk up the hill. This starts you at hole 11 or 12 (been awhile since I've been there) but it keeps you from that walk down the valley. It's pleasant, but walking back after throwing all over the hill is tiring.

Looks like Fall colors in the Aspens are coming in a bit early this year and Conifer and Bailey both have lots of Aspen trees and beautiful scenery. Phantom is not quite as pretty since it is in more of a heavily pine-forested area and is limited in vistas, however it is located very close to Zoka's (http://www.zokas.com/), which is an excellent restaurant that you should take the GF to after a round in the area.

I would not do Bailey as that is a much bigger hike then the other two. Conifer has a hard-hike at the beginning but the rest of it is pretty mellow and some of the views are quite magnificent.

Regardless doing any of those three will be a day well spent and I would suggest only picking one of those venues if it is your first time playing there.

Also make sure you have plenty of water (~1 liter/person), some snacks, and maybe some beer. You will need them coming from low elevations. Sell the day as a nice hike and you will be set. Also watch the weather and if it looks like there is a slight chance of an afternoon thunderstorm make sure you start early and have rain jackets, etc since the weather can change incredibly quick in the area.

Anyways here is what Conifer looks like in the fall:

2011-10-16_16-57-40_153-2.jpg

And some of the vistas:
2011-06-21_19-52-12_39-3.jpg

im leaving for denver monday morning and im going to be there for two to three weeks, hope to see you on the course (im going there for a discgolf excursion with my brother and mabye hit up furthur)