• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design course, no credit

Seems like most/all the Houck courses mention the designer on course sign - maybe Houck is not a good comparison

in addition to Houck's name on course maps, I've seen HB Clark's, Lavone Wolfe's and Gregg Hosfeld's name on numerous course maps. I could list several more examples. It has been a very common practice in all three places i've lived since i started playing the sport (Austin TX, Tampa Bay and Huntsville AL.)

I actually have produced several course maps now and if i am certain on who the designer is, i will put the course designers name on the course map. An exception to this is the new John Hunt Course nearing completion in my area as the City specifically requested me to not add any names to the signage.

just get it listed here with you as the course designer & then you can pull it up to show ppl; i'm sure everyone you show will be super impressed.

As a course designer who isn't paid and who put in hundreds of hours of work on each course I've designed and built (often raising the money for the baskets and signs and teepads on top of that), the least they can do is give me the design credit on the sign.

I AM THEY

If you put your name on that sign and someone gets hurts because of a potential design flaw you're just making it easier for some lawyer

If you put your name on that sign and someone gets hurts because of a potential design flaw you're just making it easier for some lawyer

Fortunately I have legal immunity and can't be charged with anything. You may not know this but I'm actually "The Big Guy" mentioned in Hunter B's emails. The Big Guy is not who everyone thinks it is.

Fortunately I have legal immunity and can't be charged with anything. You may not know this but I'm actually "The Big Guy" mentioned in Hunter B's emails. The Big Guy is not who everyone thinks it is.

Thought you were going the sovereign citizen route based on the first sentence. Glad that's not the case.

So, you're like a disc golf deep throat or something?

Your "immunity" (specific to MikeK) starts one year after you completed the work on the course.

I am always interested in who designed a course I have played especially if the course is flawless. The name of the course designer at the beginning of the course or on the course map would be just a common curiosity to me.

So I just got done another town meeting and I got to say, I am a little bummed out. I designed and am going to help install a 9 hole course here in rural ontario for a local town. I went to them with a proposal of a course design and pitched the idea of putting this course in an unused part of one of their parks. We have been meeting as a committee for 18 months now. We get the baskets tomorrow and the signs in a few weeks. I asked if I could have my name on the sign just something like "Designed by Seth D". I didn't think it would be a big deal but the other members (who don't even play dg) hummed and hawed and said they would have to think about it. I have kids. I know what that means. Anyway, just blowing off some steam. Its my 2nd course. I have done them both for free. Imo you would think that that would be the least that the town could do for me. And I know someone is going to write and going to tell me that I should just be happy to have a course to play nearby. Save yourself the trouble. I want to know if it is pretty common or is it rare to credit course designers on the main sign? Thanks

First off.. Thanks for getting a new course in the area. I'm in Holly Springs. Middle Creek and Diavolo have the designers name on them, (JayPo of CADL). Most courses don't in my experience.

Are you one of those guys who walks into a police station/courthouse with a video camera just to prove to everyone that you're allowed to do it?

Did you just assume my gender?

My goodness the bigotry is out of control at this website.

When your ego tops your charitable mission, it is no longer charity.

Your kids and friends will know who designed it.

I bet you have told them already.

I have already told them? Well ya! It would be a little wierd if daddy kept leaving in the evening and didn't tell them where he was going lol. I wouldn't call it a charitable mission either. There aren't any courses for me to play here. Players got to play.

In my mind, the idea behind getting my name on the sign was to make it accessable to potential people in the area who might have connections with another town. There are no courses in a hour radius drive so there is a great need for more courses. I figured that it would make it easy for people to know who to contact and could potentially help everyone out. For most disc golfers, it would be easy to go online and figure out who made a course. For people in my area who don't disc golf, they would have no idea who to contact or where to look up a course designer. Towns don't want disc golf because they want to play. They want disc golf because it makes it seem like they are doing good things for the town. Then they can get re-elected. Having course designer names on the sign does have benefits in growing the sport. That was my main gripe. People not knowing who to contact. Some of you get it. Some of you think I need my name on the sign for my ego. You would be wrong.

I may have missed it, but what is the name of the course? Has the course been added to DGCR yet?

Let's see: years playing: 1.9; courses played: 3. Mkay.

Can't WAIT to check out the course. Bet it's going to be a doozy.

You're doing everything but ordering the signs? Strategery fail.
When you do course #3 make sure you're the one ordering the signs, and remember it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. They would have to go out of their way to order a new sign just to remove your name, and they're way too lazy for that.