• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Recently lost my seasoned star destroyer....what plastic/model/year could be a quick replacement for my understable destroyer slot. Thank in advance.

How far do you throw and how understable are you looking for? GStars tend to be less stable than Star. Pros often start out pretty overstable but beat in quickly. Fresh max weight GStars are still pretty much straight to fade at my power level though (~400 feet). A lighter GStar or Pro might work; look for a flatter one if you can. If one of those is not understable enough, then I'd recommend a Star Shryke or a Champ Tern until you can get a Destroyer beat in enough.

Destroyer

I throw around 415 max. I have mcbeths and AJ for overstable. The gstar is 171 and covers my stable slot. Def looking for PFN Pro destroyer that are flat around 167-172 for understablilty. I think the pro palstic will help. Thought about Terns or Shyrkes but I just love throwing my destroyers so much and the feel is perfect.

I throw around 415 max. I have mcbeths and AJ for overstable. The gstar is 171 and covers my stable slot. Def looking for PFN Pro destroyer that are flat around 167-172 for understablilty. I think the pro palstic will help. Thought about Terns or Shyrkes but I just love throwing my destroyers so much and the feel is perfect.

Yeah in that case you'll probably be looking for something used (not that it will cost any less than a new one most likely). 6-7 / 10 Pro or GStar (or really beat Star although they are often expensive) should do the trick, especially if it's lighter and flat.

Shryke feels pretty similar to Destroyer in hand...just a touch sleeker. Whereas the Tern feels 100% different (shallow, with a sharp lip). If you have already gone the Gstar route, then either find an abused Pro Destroyer or see how the Shryke feels to you.

I've thrown several Shrykes that people offered me and they fly very similar to my beat in Echo Star Destroyer. Maybe a little more low speed stability. Just make sure that if you try a Shryke, get a domey one. The flat ones (especially Star) are about as flippy as Star Terns/paper plates.

Destroyer

Shryke feels pretty similar to Destroyer in hand...just a touch sleeker. Whereas the Tern feels 100% different (shallow, with a sharp lip). If you have already gone the Gstar route, then either find an abused Pro Destroyer or see how the Shryke feels to you.

What plastic would you recommend for the Shryke?

I should also mention that the Krait is a fantastic disc. Less side-to-side movement than a beat in Destroyer, but can fill a lot of the beat in Destroyer shots if you're using it to get good distance powering down, or overall straight long distance shots.

So...if you're using your beat in Destroyer as an all out bomber, then a domey Shryke is a good alternative. If you're using your beat in Destroyer for powered down shots, controlled distance shots, occasional turnovers, then a Krait is what you want.

You want a 2-line with Patent #'s.

What plastic would you recommend for the Shryke?

I'll have to defer to others who have thrown them more...I'm at altitude and it really affects high speed discs and their HSS (they have way less turn). I've tried a Gstar and it was flippy, and star felt like a similar starting point to a Gstar Destroyer that has been used for a bit. I would look at Star based on that and seeing video of people throwing them. The star that I tried definitely felt like it would gain more turn, and the fade was already a sweepy fade rather than dumpy fade, indicating it should get mellow at the end for a long flight. Also the Gstar that was flippy had the lowest PLH out of all the ones at the store.

Champion shryke crushes for sure, it's the only disc I've hit over 500 with on flat ground. Rip it in a hyzer out left and let it do the work coming back to the right. 168 champion is what I have.

anyone have any knowledge about the 2013 Japan Open star destroyers that are under 160 with Pat#s. Just got one and wanted to know how they fly and other important information. it has the doubel dragon stamp on it.

anyone have any knowledge about the 2013 Japan Open star destroyers that are under 160 with Pat#s. Just got one and wanted to know how they fly and other important information. it has the doubel dragon stamp on it.

Should be marked S/DS on the back.

They fly pretty OS when new and are sought after.

How do the metal flakes fly?

I have one Metal Flake Champion Destroyer, red, 171g. It has never thrown, so I took it, along with a pile of other Destroyers, to the local ball field to compare flights.

Weather conditions:
300 ft elevation, 10 mph wind, 80 degrees F

I threw 18 destroyers. They were:
1 Metal Flake Champion Destroyer 171g, new
9 Avery Jenkins 3 Line Star Destroyers 168, 170, 171g, only two of these had been thrown before.
3 Paul McBeth Star Destroyers 171, 172g, all new
3 Philo Brathwaite Tour Series Destroyers 167, 168g, new
2 Pro Destroyers, both 169g, both slightly beat in

I threw each disc 3 times, twice with the wind at about 5:00 (slight tailwind), and once with the wind at direct 12:00 headwind.

Results:
The Pro Destroyers get the easiest distance from both directions, out to about 410 ft for me, which is about as much as I expect to get generally right now. They had some pretty significant high speed turn into the relatively small headwind.
The Brathwaite Destroyers bomb pretty well too. These felt fast compared to all the others, perhaps because they were slightly less weight than all the others. I could immediately use one of the 167g Brathwaites as a max distance disc if I wanted to. You should not expect much skip from these.
The Metal Flake Destroyer was consistently next best for distance, just slightly better than the Star Destroyers. It is pretty beefy for my arm, though(I was only throwing it about 375 ft). It gets a pretty good skip when thrown low. This MF disc had the most dome of all that I threw here.
The AJ and PM Star Destroyers were pretty much all beef for my arm. Two of the AJ discs that I threw here have been used off and on for two years, and they would still need a whole lot more beating in before they could be counted on as max distance drivers for me. The PM Star plastic looks better than the AJ plastic; shiny.

One more thing, as people have probably stated before, The AJ Destroyers generally seem to have more of a dome than the PM ones, which are generally pretty flat. Because of this, the PMs appeared to have a bit less glide, and were a bit less affected by the headwind.

Hope this helps.

As a substitute for the Destroyer, I'd recommend the Champion Shryke.

I threw a Champ Glow Shryke the other day and was very impressed. It didn't have the HSS of say a brand new Destroyer, but it did have noticeably better glide. Seemed easy to control too for such a fast disc. If I had to give up Destroyers, those would be next in line.

Why is it that all these "seasoned Destroyers"(Shryke, DDx, Tern) either are too shallow or lack glide (TeeDevil, Dominator)? I have seasoned Destroyers but I find that they don't pick up as much glide as I would hope for, or still fade out hard even on 375'+ rips. I was throwing them about 350' today and they were low and didn't fade but they didn't get max D. Almost think I should retry Wraiths.

Shryke is no shallower than a destroyer from hand feel. They're darn near identical in the hand. You could try Octanes/catalysts if you're silk searching for the right DD... they're an awesome pairing combined with the nitro for HW duties

Latest posts