• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Dissapointing, sounded like he was gonna tell us about an Anthon revival there for a second

yep, they're coming. :thmbup:

just finished up the art/design for david wiggins, jr.

2014 tour series star destroyer (all unique natural beauties)

had a blast doing the stamp!

LW

spread the good news!

So, when Destroyers first came out I didn't have the ability to throw them well. But I bought them anyways, before I had kids. I lost a few, and seasoned a few, but for the most part I thought they were too OS for me. Fast forward to now, and I throw Bosses and the occasional Nuke. I forgot all about this forum, but eventually stumbled back here. After reading about all the Destroyer love (and TeeBird love toot), I decided to pull out my old box of Destroyers. A bunch of X-Out Pro (apparently I was trying out a bunch to see if I could figure out how to throw them), a couple of Champ pop-tops, a few Star and an Echo Star ESDS pop-top. BOMBS. I now have the arm to throw these! Far! And I fully agree about the rim width being easier to get a consistent release. I am actually glad that I waited until now to get into the Destroyers. I'm thinking about getting rid of a bunch of plastic just so I can pick up some more Destroyers.

So, with that said, I've also read the negative comments about the Destrulcans. Most of the Destroyers I am used to throwing are all from the '07-'08 era. And I'm assuming that the Destrulcans are not like them. Does Innova still make Destrulcans? What are the current runs like? G* stability, glide, compared to some of the earlier runs?

Thanks for entertaining mystery questions.

So, with that said, I've also read the negative comments about the Destrulcans. Most of the Destroyers I am used to throwing are all from the '07-'08 era. And I'm assuming that the Destrulcans are not like them. Does Innova still make Destrulcans? What are the current runs like? G* stability, glide, compared to some of the earlier runs?

Thanks for entertaining mystery questions.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is called the Teedevil. Destroyer bottom with an anhyzer top. They tend to be more understable and have less glide IMO. I would rather use a flat gummy pre avery star destroyer in that spot of my bag.

Thanks for entertaining mystery questions.

Yes, it is called the Teedevil. Destroyer bottom with an anhyzer top. They tend to be more understable and have less glide IMO. I would rather use a flat gummy pre avery star destroyer in that spot of my bag.

No...Vulcan Top. The Anhyzer top is Discmania's top they use for a few molds.

Ok. So does that mean that CP runs are neither of these tops? That Innova is now making true Destroyers, or is it "buyer beware"?
A while back Innova made a run of Vulcan top Destroyers that were stamped with the normal Destroyer stamp. People call the Vulcan top Destroyers "Destrulcans". The Vulcan top Destroyers are the same mold that is currently called the TeeDevil. Im not sure what came first the Destrulcan or the TeeDevil but its the same mold. The current production Destroyers are not Destrulcans. I personally prefer buying my discs in disc shops rather than online. Doing this allows me to fondle the discs & compare PLH, dome, weight etc. If the PIAS/disc shop you go to has old stock or used discs you have the possibility to run into a Destrulcan. Destrulcans are very easy to spot because they have a noticeable shoulder, where the normal Destroyer mold doesn't have a shoulder. Destrulcans aren't very common anymore so it isn't that big of a deal anymore. If I remember correctly Star Destrulcans were the most common. I should note that the newest run of Destroyers tend to be more over stable than previous runs. They have the newer AJ signature & tend to be domey/pop top. I've heard that the newest run of Destros have the Discmania anhyzer top (same top as the PD2) & thats what makes them so over stable but I can't confirm that. Good Destroyers are still easy to find so don't let Destrulcans & such scare you away from a great mold. I personally like to cycle discs & I carry 5 Star Destroyer in my bag in various levels of stability. I like that the newest run of AJ Destros are more beefy than most other Destroyers. The new beefy Destros beat in slow & are great when they're new, I use one to fill the my most over stable distance driver slot in my bag. I don't however like or carry any Destrulcans.

Destroyer on the left, Destrulcan on the right
Its usually easier to tell the difference between them but this Destrulcan is pretty domey. If this picture doesn't help you tell the difference then take a look at a Vulcan or TeeDevil to see how the Vulcan tops look like in person. Destrulcans usually are flatter than the one in this picture so they're usually easier to spot.
PDRM0009.jpg

Older AJ Signature
600px_Black_Star_Destroyer.jpg

New AJ Signature (Notice how the loops of the "y" & "j" cross & how the words next the the signature were moved)
d_destroyer_star_green_avery_jenkins__27167.1368866601.1280.1280.jpg

Yes! Thanks, DiscinFiend! So many questions answered. I feel pretty informed now. Now to find people to trade all my other drivers, basically, for Destroyers.

Do you know what the G* are flying like?

There's actually 2 new stamped AJ Destros. The signature is the same with the overlapping "y" and "j" but the signature itself on one is smaller. I should of checked if the markings were different on the back but didnt think much of it.

Yes! Thanks, DiscinFiend! So many questions answered. I feel pretty informed now. Now to find people to trade all my other drivers, basically, for Destroyers.

Do you know what the G* are flying like?

I'm waiting for one of the disc shops by my house to get them before I go & get some. As I said in my last post I prefer to buy my discs in person rather than online. What I've been told is that GStar discs tend to be more stable (straighter) than the regular Star counterparts of the same mold. This is just word of mouth & what I've read here on DGCR. When I get some GStar Destroyers I'll post my findings in this thread & I'm sure others will also.

There's actually 2 new stamped AJ Destros. The signature is the same with the overlapping "y" and "j" but the signature itself on one is smaller. I should of checked if the markings were different on the back but didnt think much of it.

Got any pictures? I'm an avid Destroyer thrower & collector, I've never seen or heard of this before. If this is indeed true I'm interested to know if there is any discernible differences between them besides the stamp.

I do not. I noticed the difference when I was at Dicks looking for the older ones. Maybe I will look again and snap a pic. Didnt really notice a different in plastic.

^^ sounds suspect. I flip through them all the time and have only seen one variant of the new signature and stacked text.

I bought one of the new stamp Echo Destroyers today, all the ones i looked through had an extreme pop top and had a rim that looked right in between a vulcan top and a regular top. The 170 i bought flies like a champ turn, it flips up and carries to the side then fades in a meaty way. I cant throw big anhyzers with it but its definitely less stable than you'd imagine a Destroyer with a big nasty pop top would be

Ha, I never noticed. I have a mix of both signatures from the recent run. They all fly the same so no mold differences as far as I know. Do they stamp the discs at both Innova East and Innova West? I wonder if they have different stamps.

So I've bought my third star destroyer this weekend. I am hooked and it is definitely my favorite distance driver (of all time maybe?). I max out at 400 feet (measured in a field environment) and all my star destroyers are 175g. Just recently I watched the McBeth In the bag 2014 and he mentioned his star destroyers are closer to 170g. Is there a significant difference in distance and control by dropping ~5 grams?
For my next star destroyer purchase (I believe I will be buying lots of these in the future...) should I try a lower weight? It just seems odd because as I cycle my destroyers, I would want the newer purchase to be most overstable. Would getting a 170g one defeat that purpose?

So I've bought my third star destroyer this weekend. I am hooked and it is definitely my favorite distance driver (of all time maybe?). I max out at 400 feet (measured in a field environment) and all my star destroyers are 175g. Just recently I watched the McBeth In the bag 2014 and he mentioned his star destroyers are closer to 170g. Is there a significant difference in distance and control by dropping ~5 grams?
For my next star destroyer purchase (I believe I will be buying lots of these in the future...) should I try a lower weight? It just seems odd because as I cycle my destroyers, I would want the newer purchase to be most overstable. Would getting a 170g one defeat that purpose?

Everyone wants to think they are a princess that can feel a pea under their mattress, but no 5g won't make or break your throw. I'm not saying don't try something different, but don't expect a major difference.

5g is as heavy as a US nickel. can you feel it when you pick up a 170 compared to a 175? i can easily tell a diff between 150 and 175 but 5g is hardly noticeable

2014 on the left 2013 on the right. The plastic is definitely different, the 2013 is a bit more rubbery, and obviously has a little different profile. They are both marked 175 above *DS

image_zps3f53aca2.jpg

image_zps96210c45.jpg

Last edited: