• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

rumor is the tooled star destroyers are flying similar to AJ destroyers. picked one up online, hopefully it comes in this weekend and i can put that to the test.

Well, I don't think they are "tooled" into the mold to say Destroyer. I think it is engraved where they press a piece of hot metal into the plastic after the disc has cooled (engraving can also be done with a tool that works like a tattoo gun). It is incredibly expensive to retool a mold. I am not saying they will not do that eventually like Discraft does (definitely tooled into their molds), but all the ones I have seen are put there after the disc is molded up. So instead of writing an abbreviation with a pen, they engrave the name of the disc mold.

Well, I don't think they are "tooled" into the mold to say Destroyer. I think it is engraved where they press a piece of hot metal into the plastic after the disc has cooled (engraving can also be done with a tool that works like a tattoo gun). It is incredibly expensive to retool a mold. I am not saying they will not do that eventually like Discraft does (definitely tooled into their molds), but all the ones I have seen are put there after the disc is molded up. So instead of writing an abbreviation with a pen, they engrave the name of the disc mold.

Is the name in the same orientation on each disc? We could probably look at a few of these and figure out for sure if it was added later, right?

The new Destroyers fly exactly the same to me. There are variations in the Mcbeth ones as well. Been throwing Destroyers for a long time, and there has never been much consistency. I have Aj's that fly as stable as any Destroyer ever, and a couple of easy to turn McBeth ones. It's all just guessing and hoping when you order online.

Is the name in the same orientation on each disc? We could probably look at a few of these and figure out for sure if it was added later, right?

Never thought about that. I don't own any and have only observed about 10 in person, but did not think to compare two of the same mold.

Quick question for some of you Destroyer historians. Just picked up a pre AJ star destroyer tonight along with a couple real nice 3 lines. The pre AJ is marked FSDS. What would that indicate? It is a star per the stamp on front.

I still don't understand why it's thought that you need to produce a new mold to have the embossed mold name there. You just machine the wording into the existing mold. Generic fonts like that are standard work on CNC milling centers.

Quick question for some of you Destroyer historians. Just picked up a pre AJ star destroyer tonight along with a couple real nice 3 lines. The pre AJ is marked FSDS. What would that indicate? It is a star per the stamp on front.

Probably marked ESDS so it is an Echo Star Destroyer but could be a really nice Pre-Avery Echo Stock stamp and if so you got a great destroyer.

Probably marked ESDS so it is an Echo Star Destroyer but could be a really nice Pre-Avery Echo Stock stamp and if so you got a great destroyer.

That's what I thought at first. But it is stamped star on the front. Haven't thrown it yet probably won't get a chance until Wednesday. It is quite abut stiffer than any echo I've ever handled but I've only been around the game for two years this month.

That's what I thought at first. But it is stamped star on the front. Haven't thrown it yet probably won't get a chance until Wednesday. It is quite abut stiffer than any echo I've ever handled but I've only been around the game for two years this month.

Yup there are a handful of destroyers out there that are stamped that way. A lot of xcalibers got stamped up that way as well. More than likely it will be overstable since it is an ESDS and not an E*DS but either way its worth a good amount of money.

Here are some pics of the one in question. After a better look it does say ESDS it was dark last night when I got it. The red one is the 3 line AJ I picked up also and it is a real meat hook. Again, didn't throw the ESDS so looking forward to getting it out.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 62
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 54
Does anyone know about the 2014 run of destroyers? Do they have high PLH, low PLH? super beefy like these new 4x ones or more mellow?

Does anyone know about the 2014 run of destroyers? Do they have high PLH, low PLH? super beefy like these new 4x ones or more mellow?

Idk about 2014 destroyers, but the current run of star destroyers(with the embossing) are not very beefy at all. The 4 that I have all show a little turn out of the box

Idk about 2014 destroyers, but the current run of star destroyers(with the embossing) are not very beefy at all. The 4 that I have all show a little turn out of the box

That's interesting because I have a couple new embossed ones as well and they are super beef. Hmmmm, I probably have to see the disc in person anyways to check PLH, dome, etc.. cool thanks!

It seems with any sought after/popular disc, finding that unique run is complicated.

Feeling them up at the local brick and mortar can be helpful. The problem that I find when buying local is getting the same run color, weight kind of thing. If I order online, assuming the inventory is good I can order two of the same weight and run.

The reason I want two of the same is for cycling purposes and testing. So,if I like the disc, I put both in the bag and start the cycling process. If , I loose one I got a backup. I can use one for risky holes, tight or ob and not beat the other one up too bad.

At this point trying to find some destroyers that meet my specs is a shot in the dark. Currently, just purchasing what runs are available now. Which means what is being produced currently.

The last order was a pair of bottom stamps. Love that run but just too os to make the bag for that slot.

I have two ordered from the innova factory store. Will report on the fight characteristics of those when they come in this weekend.

Last edited: