• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Another underrated lightweight distance bomber is the Sapphire. Slower than a Destroyer, but they will go further than you think for a 10 speed.
I have one of the 170ish ones and it was surprising stable during the Trilogy challenge, so I kinda put it away. I started throwing it more due to a new course with different throws than I have been used to. It true Trilogy fashion, it is beating in to a really long disc. I am very interested to see what this things does when it gets full turn at my speed.

I have one of the 170ish ones and it was surprising stable during the Trilogy challenge, so I kinda put it away. I started throwing it more due to a new course with different throws than I have been used to. It true Trilogy fashion, it is beating in to a really long disc. I am very interested to see what this things does when it gets full turn at my speed.

Yeah, I have one of the 170+ Sapphires as well. I think mine's 175g. IMO it flies better than the lighter ones. It isn't quite as prone to total flipping, and has great glide. Honestly, a heavy Sapphire is like a much, MUCH better Beast. Very long disc. I was going over 450' with it.

For whatever reason I just can't get the lighter Sapphires out as far.

Honestly, I've been pretty impressed with my winter distance this year. I usually see a noticeable drop off due to all of the typical winter reasons but not seeing huge losses lately for whatever reason.

I think I've been lucky because I've had clear tee pads (mostly playing Adams Hollow and Ultra up in Fort Collins) and I usually try and hit the course early in the morning while everything is still frozen to avoid the mud and slippery conditions.

Last time I threw was early Dec, before the snow started piling up. I like at least 50 degrees. I feel like I can get full rips and not hurt myself.

Last time I threw was early Dec, before the snow started piling up. I like at least 50 degrees. I feel like I can get full rips and not hurt myself.

If I only played in fair weather I'd miss out on three or four months a year.

Sometimes I cheat though. I've known to slip away to places like Phoenix for some warm weather winter disc golf.

If I only played in fair weather I'd miss out on three or four months a year.

Sometimes I cheat though. I've known to slip away to places like Phoenix for some warm weather winter disc golf.

I'm with you, but a 1 degree real feel, -10 windchill, and a foot and a half of snow is my limit ;)

That being said, I am looking forward to ripping distance drivers when 90% of the teepad isn't ice...

Has anyone thrown the new Calvin Destroyers enough to know if there is a color variation again? I got two purple rims and one of them is more workable while the other is pretty overstable, but not anything near the og calvin halos.

Has anyone thrown the new Calvin Destroyers enough to know if there is a color variation again? I got two purple rims and one of them is more workable while the other is pretty overstable, but not anything near the og calvin halos.

havent thrown mine yet, but got 2 purples and 2 whites. The whites seem like they are clearly more OS than the purples just on feel and looking at the wing.

havent thrown mine yet, but got 2 purples and 2 whites. The whites seem like they are clearly more OS than the purples just on feel and looking at the wing.

sold them all, prefer past years tour series. Plastic just doesnt feel as good for the 2023 run.

Can anyone comment, what's typically more understable? A destroyer with a flat bottom wing or a champion tern?

Will do some fieldwork soon with the discs above but curious to hear other's experience.

Can anyone comment, what's typically more understable? A destroyer with a flat bottom wing or a champion tern?

Will do some fieldwork soon with the discs above but curious to hear other's experience.

From my little experience, HS stability are very close, but the Destroyer will close with more fade. But then again, I have had brand new champ Terns vary wildly.

From my little experience, HS stability are very close, but the Destroyer will close with more fade. But then again, I have had brand new champ Terns vary wildly.

Got a few field throws in today but it was windy. Enough to see that the destroyer (a Calvin 2022 with close to flat bottom wing) was still considerably more stable than the terns (ohn and champ metal flake)

I put my 2020 halo back in the bag today. Watching Calvin. It was my most used distance driver for a good spell, and also shaped my bag.

Very reliable disc. It poses fundamental questions to me regarding my bag, but I'm also pretty flexible with what I throw.

I'm just trusting my gut for now.

How are those Henna Glow star D's flying?

Got a few throws with mine in yesterday, pretty stable with good glide for the white one I threw. Profile is slight neutral dome and pretty average PLH which feels most similar to my Red Echo Sirius Scorpius. Plastic is pretty grippy Parked a 370' hole on hyzer (no wind) which is a good measure for my normal distance. 400' on a flatter line a few holes later.

Pretty sure Henna was throwing hers (pink) out at North Cove for some of her longer distance lines which was cool to see (hole 7 Rd 1 https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxw-epfYIeJhRxn5KUObV-Rk4CZa40wx8l).

How do the 2023 Calvins compare to the 2022s? I don't have the arm to bag a Destroyer really, but I got a 2022 because they just looked cool and I wanted to support him. It's one of the black ones that is silly overstable. I keep it with my backups for high wind days where I won't be able to trust my overstable Wraith into a headwind.

I like the feel of 2022s better, better grip and stiffer flight plates

a buddy of mine gave me 2 of this years Philo Tour Destroyer. (He didn't like the colors and I don't blame him).

I typically throw a Fuzion Raider in this spot. I have them in various plastics and weights to cover different shots.

The 23 Philo appears to have a flat wing. I was surprised at how "easily" I could throw it. I've used it for maybe a week now and I want to say that it is giving me more distance than the Raider. Likely just a hair easier to flip up. Definitely longer on an anhyzer throw.

How do prior versions of Philo Destroyers compare?
Is there a more understable version?

Is there a version of the Emperor that would be close to a 23 Philo Destroyer?
Does the Emperor even compare to a Philo?

a buddy of mine gave me 2 of this years Philo Tour Destroyer. (He didn't like the colors and I don't blame him).

I typically throw a Fuzion Raider in this spot. I have them in various plastics and weights to cover different shots.

The 23 Philo appears to have a flat wing. I was surprised at how "easily" I could throw it. I've used it for maybe a week now and I want to say that it is giving me more distance than the Raider. Likely just a hair easier to flip up. Definitely longer on an anhyzer throw.

How do prior versions of Philo Destroyers compare?
Is there a more understable version?

Is there a version of the Emperor that would be close to a 23 Philo Destroyer?
Does the Emperor even compare to a Philo?

Flat wing Destroyers seem to pop up every once in a while. Wysocki Raptor Destroyers were also this way. The plastic was a bit blizzardy for my liking, but the discs themselves flew great. A little more turn and glide than regular Destroyers.

Most Raiders I've ever thrown have been less stable than Destroyers. For whatever reason I feel like Destroyers push forward better than Raiders, and are usually longer. I always feel like I'm 10' short of where I ought to be with a Raider.