• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Destroyer3 is Coming

I appreciate Innova's willingness to try new things. And some of the experiments have worked very well: the 'L' series worked well in some discs (TL, Eagle-L, and Beast-L have their followers), and the '3' series did very well in some places (Roc3, Shark3, Mako3, etc.).

Having said that, Innova seems to be at a point of diminishing returns. They already has SO many molds out there that anything new they makes is going to stepping on another mold. And IMHO they're doing a lot of it just to move product. Like someone above said, whassup with the Invictus when they had the Starfire and Monster and retired them both? Just a new name to generate some sales.

Me, I'd rather see them come out with some old molds in new plastics, such as the Star Viking; and lighter weights in some molds, like 150-class Star Mirages, etc. But, they're going to do what they do...

I love Innova fairways and drivers. I have never liked any of their mids.

Innova has some good mids, like the Roc3, Mako3, (and for me the Panther), etc., but overall I agree with you. I know the Zone is more a putter/approach disc, but Innova has nothing as good as the Zone. The Buzzz is unequaled by anything in the Innova line.

Prodigy has some really excellent mids; if they had a good lineup of faster discs, (IMHO) they'd do a HUGE business in mids.

I appreciate Innova's willingness to try new things. And some of the experiments have worked very well: the 'L' series worked well in some discs (TL, Eagle-L, and Beast-L have their followers), and the '3' series did very well in some places (Roc3, Shark3, Mako3, etc.).

Having said that, Innova seems to be at a point of diminishing returns. They already has SO many molds out there that anything new they makes is going to stepping on another mold. And IMHO they're doing a lot of it just to move product. Like someone above said, whassup with the Invictus when they had the Starfire and Monster and retired them both? Just a new name to generate some sales.

Me, I'd rather see them come out with some old molds in new plastics, such as the Star Viking; and lighter weights in some molds, like 150-class Star Mirages, etc. But, they're going to do what they do...

I sent a desperate email to Innova about this about two weeks ago. Got a pleasant reply but doubt anything will come of it. The Viking in Star, Luster or Glow Champion would be fantastic & would breathe fresh air into a great mold. But they want to sell us a Star Savant? No thanks, you got it right with the Viking just give us more plastic options & maybe see if any of your top pros want to give it some shine.

Their fairway lineup is very solid, and they have some good drivers despite the glut at the top of the speed ranges.

Have to say, though I tried to be a Roc guy early on the Trilogy mids have become many of my favorites. I know Discraft is the poplar one here, especially right now, but the Bard, Warship, Gatekeeper, Justice and even the Truth are very good.

I sent a desperate email to Innova about this about two weeks ago. Got a pleasant reply but doubt anything will come of it. The Viking in Star, Luster or Glow Champion would be fantastic & would breathe fresh air into a great mold. But they want to sell us a Star Savant? No thanks, you got it right with the Viking just give us more plastic options & maybe see if any of your top pros want to give it some shine.

I'd like to see a number of molds in 'new' plastics. Similar to the Viking, I think the Krait in Star plastic would've done very well. The Krait was/is an extraordinarily underrated disc, and Paul McBeth (to mention a top pro) even had it as a sig disc for a while. Put it in Star/Pro plastic, and the Krait might've had great sales.

Dave Dunipace always liked and touted the Viking, so maybe a Star Viking WILL come forth as a result of your email... Time will tell....

Last edited:
It seems to me that their biggest gap is still overstable mids and putters. Maybe the Warhog will start the change, but I still see a gap for a disc that is in the Viper stability range with a smaller diameter and more modern feel.

Don't tell me Gator, that's not it.
croc?

Their fairway lineup is very solid, and they have some good drivers despite the glut at the top of the speed ranges.

Have to say, though I tried to be a Roc guy early on the Trilogy mids have become many of my favorites. I know Discraft is the poplar one here, especially right now, but the Bard, Warship, Gatekeeper, Justice and even the Truth are very good.

Trilogy all the way for me on mids. I do have a Caiman that comes in handy some. Pretty unique flight.

Trilogy all the way for me on mids. I do have a Caiman that comes in handy some. Pretty unique flight.

I feel like putters and mids are what they do well. I'm not nearly as impressed by their drivers for the most part.

I feel like putters and mids are what they do well. I'm not nearly as impressed by their drivers for the most part.

They have some drivers I love, and a ton of total duds. But alas, for every Giant there is a Freedom.

Sheesh. My PMB 4x's are pretty flat. Not sure how much flatter a 3 could get.

Maybe that's the point. Find a replacement for those good PMcB discs now that PMcB is in the Discraft fold.

I've met at least two Innova only people that have exactly one non-Innova mold: the Zone. They've inevitably tried the Rat, Caiman, and Rhyno but settled on the Zone. Maybe some day...

Maybe that's the point. Find a replacement for those good PMcB discs now that PMcB is in the Discraft fold.

I've met at least two Innova only people that have exactly one non-Innova mold: the Zone. They've inevitably tried the Rat, Caiman, and Rhyno but settled on the Zone. Maybe some day...

Have had a couple of Zones. The way I play, I almost never need something that overstable. I could easily play it though. Just so many molds, and so little room.

I like Innova drivers too. For the most part they put out a very reliable product. My only real problem is that they have ENTIRELY too many molds. To the point its become ridiculous.

Innova is at the point they're splitting hairs now with each new mold they introduce. IMO the last 2 really good driver molds Innova came out with were the Thunderbird and Shryke. Those two filled holes in their lineup, and did a damn good job of it.

I LIKE the Corvette and Colossus, but those two don't do anything you can't do with a half dozen other Innova molds. I felt the same way about the Savant and Firestorm.

I think the Destroyer3 will sell based solely on the name. If it were called the Teedevil3 no one would touch it with a 10' pole. Innova definitely isn't innovating by releasing a flat Destroyer. Probably half the Destroyers they make now are already flat.

On a side note, I love the champion Roc3. Its the only Innova mid I've ever jelled with.

They have some drivers I love, and a ton of total duds. But alas, for every Giant there is a Freedom.

Unrelated to the thread, but I think Trilogy's best overall driver is the Raider. Someone obviously put some care into designing that mold. It performs spectacularly.

I agree that many of Trilogy's drivers are massive letdowns, and can be horribly inconsistent from disc to disc. The plastic also wears out too fast.

I agree that many of Trilogy's drivers are massive letdowns, and can be horribly inconsistent from disc to disc. The plastic also wears out too fast.

Best putter plastics on the market. I throw nothing else of theirs because it all breaks in too quickly, but Classic/Blend/Soft are amazing mid grade plastics.

I fall into this category

Latest posts