• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Developing a Left Handed Shot?

Lefty approach shots are a great thing to work on to play for the opposite fade/if a tree is blocking your throw and are not nearly as hard as learning to throw 300-400 feet with your off hand. I think that's a useful time investment. Maybe eventually that can lead to driving off hand if you get that far.

I completely agree. I've been learning a LHFH approach shot lately. Nothing with too much power, but if I'm stuck behind something that I can only reach around to the left, a LHFH shot is much more comfortable and accurate than a backwards RHBH shot. My muscle memory isn't quite there yet, as I sometimes throw it 40' past the hole (i'm always shot on approach shots with my right hand). But the accuracy is there, and the distance is getting better.

I've tried learning LHBH, and it's just funny. I suppose I will keep screwing around with it, but I will probably never learn it unless I break my right arm. Then i'll have to learn it.

I used to be able to throw a frisbee with either hand, but I have never tried thowing a disc LH. I have been considering it lately though. But with stupid winter coming on, I don't know when I'll able to get some good practise in. :mad:

I am amazed at how few leftys I see out on the course. Quite often people will see me drive and ask what disc I am throwing. Ill say a destroyer or xcal, and they will be like "how can you make it go left to right like that"? um I use a different type of hand than you.

lol'ed

In bowling you get a different average for LH, I think it would be cool to do the same in disc golf.

And for those of you that say "why throw LHBH when you can throw RHFH?" I would respond that the flight characteristics are not exactly the same, although they are close. And it is obviously best to have a good BH anny and a good FH hyzer, because sometimes a hole is shaped to where one or the other is best, especially if you play in the woods alot.

Also, I read in a bowling magazine to throw with your other hand occasionally because it helps you develop both sides or your body and is good for your form. I would think the same is true in DG.

I throw RHBH. My left hand is dead weight. It's good for typing the left side keys of a keyboard as well as driving (not sure why). I can't imagine teaching it to throw a disc...it would take a TON of time. I'd rather spend the time developing my anhyzer throw and sidearm...

You might be surprised. My buddy hurt his throwing shoulder and has been playing left haned while it heals. I decided to try it one loop of 9 holes and was surprised, I was getting almost 200' right off the bat. I felt the same way as you, I'm religously right handed but it just came easy. My right hand forehand has been hurting my shoulder so I've actually started using it for left to right approaches with OB on the left when I can't afford to spin out left

One lesson I learned quickly, only take a one or no step approach. Trying to do a reverse X step leads for some pretty entertaining shots.

i'm left handed in most thing but when it comes to sports it's all rh i've tried some lhbh throws and it's just rediculous how bad they are. i've thought about tryin to devlope my lh throws just it always pops in my mind on the ride home from the course

Just a word of caution, if you start learning a lefty shot, you may lose your rhbh anhyzer shot. If you are only throwing hyzers, you won't keep up on the anhyzers which are good to have. They have less chance to skip, and can have a nice smooth(er) landing

Predominatley I throw RHBH, my RHFH is a work in progress but getting better. LHBH is my choice for shorter, tighter approach shots that need to go right, RHFH or anny's for longer shots that need to go right. I just have more control, but less distance throwing left handed. It's funny to see some people's reaction when seeing this, I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like I'm throwing it 300' or something.

Latest posts