• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Developing a more effective putting practice regiment

The think about really high rep approaches question is how helpful can it be? I mean if I make 99/100 putts from the exact same spot, how helpful are those last 50 or so makes in a row? What if I miss the first one but make the next 99 in a row? In a real golf situation that would just be a miss, plain and simple.

I suspect you're assuming that you always practice from the one spot. Nope. As I said eariler, I throw several stacks before I move. I throw from many spots during a practice session. Over the course of many practice sessions, I'll throw from a great many different spots, at different distances, with the wind blowing from different angles and at different wind speeds.

With consistent practice, over a few months, you'll have thrown thousands of putts. You will have made thousands of putts from short and long, upwind and downwind, uphill and downhill. You'll have developed a routine that you don't have to think about. You'll have refined your technique to where you don't have to think about it. You'll have trained your brain to focus on the target efficiently and won't have to struggle to concentrate. The more high quality putts you throw, the better you'll be at making high quality putts. It's so much easier to feel confidence about a putt when you've already made hundreds from that distance with a wind from that angle....

^ Yup...All In was a video Discraft put out with Scott Papa. I like his idea, but had to modify it a bit. He suggests hitting ten putts in a row to move to another station and I became rather frustrated with spit-outs and perfect putts not falling because my basket was full of previous putts. I recommend five discs instead. Be sure to make your range one that you can reach consistently. For example, when practicing my putts, I seldom move outside of the circle.

^ Yup...All In was a video Discraft put out with Scott Papa. I like his idea, but had to modify it a bit. He suggests hitting ten putts in a row to move to another station and I became rather frustrated with spit-outs and perfect putts not falling because my basket was full of previous putts. I recommend five discs instead. Be sure to make your range one that you can reach consistently. For example, when practicing my putts, I seldom move outside of the circle.

One key here - or at least for me - when practicing. A true spit out (not an iffy putt in the corner that didn't get lucky) is a "make" assuming it hit where you intended. This is especially important for those playing on less than ideal practice baskets (home made, single chain sets, etc).

Question for those of you in the winter:

How much help do you find indoor winter putting practice to help?

In my first season I've been focused more on my BH form and have put in relatively little putting practice - and it shows in my game. My drives are so much better than my putts.

Given we are now in winter I am not feeling the urge to get out and do fieldwork driving...but I have 35' of open room in my basement. I plan on dedicating my lunch hour (I work from home primarily) to ~45 mins of putting practice. Obviously it will help - but I'm wondering if a winter's full of practicing without any wind & elevation will end up being an issue this spring.

Thoughts?

One drill that I sometimes did was incorporate short approaches into my routine. I'd take four putters and do three attempts at parking them from say 100-150' away. The fourth putter was for putting only. After I threw the three approaches, I'd go to the closest lie, pick up that putter and putt with both it and the unthrown putter. I'd collect them both, then go out to the second closest lie, pick that putter up, and putt three times from there, collect the putters again, go out to the furthest lie, pick that putter up and putt four times. Rinse and repeat on a different basket. A little repetition for muscle memory, a little walking to simulate a game situation, a little more practice on more difficult shots.

Nice tip, thanks scarp. I practice the same way but hadn't thought to throw multiple putters as I worked out to the farthest lie. Great idea.

I do this on a single basket in the backyard where I have several 100 feet for approaches. One series is backhand approaches, next could be forehand, next roller, next spike hyser ...

I like your multiple putter idea to give more practice on increasingly difficult shots.

If you have 45 minutes, my experience is do 15m take a break and do something else - then come back and finish out a second round of 15m.

I know that sounds easy, even TOO easy, but that second 15m will take it's toll on you. I would often times start out good and strong and then second round was just a disaster.

You don't want to practice when you're out of juice - as you'll start developing bad habits and more importantly you'll lose some of the confidence you develop.

If I'm practicing my putting, I'm practicing MAKING my putts. If I'm practicing increasing my range to say 35-40', that's a different thing and has a different focus.

Developing a putt that will be as immune to wind and elevation changes has been one of the other reasons I've dropped pitch putting and moved to the short arm spin putt. Flat and a minimum arc to go right at the poll.

One key here - or at least for me - when practicing. A true spit out (not an iffy putt in the corner that didn't get lucky) is a "make" assuming it hit where you intended. This is especially important for those playing on less than ideal practice baskets (home made, single chain sets, etc).

Absolutely. I consider a "make" anything that hits the lower 40% of the center pole if it sticks or not. I consider anything that misses the center pole or hits high on the pole a miss regardless of the outcome. That attitude also makes putting during rounds a lot less frustrating, because 99% of your spits will be shots where you missed that target.

I'm definitely going to modify my practice basket this weekend to make a narrower target profile. My best days of putting were when I was in college and my roommate and I putted on a Innova skillshot that had been modified so the target was only about 4 inches across.

If you have 45 minutes, my experience is do 15m take a break and do something else - then come back and finish out a second round of 15m.

I know that sounds easy, even TOO easy, but that second 15m will take it's toll on you. I would often times start out good and strong and then second round was just a disaster.

You don't want to practice when you're out of juice - as you'll start developing bad habits and more importantly you'll lose some of the confidence you develop.

If I'm practicing my putting, I'm practicing MAKING my putts. If I'm practicing increasing my range to say 35-40', that's a different thing and has a different focus.

Developing a putt that will be as immune to wind and elevation changes has been one of the other reasons I've dropped pitch putting and moved to the short arm spin putt. Flat and a minimum arc to go right at the poll.

Putting is a uniquely intense part of the game. Breaks are definitely a good thing. And when you are putting, even in practice be focused. I think it is harder to be focused if you speed up the routine or have some sort of time element in the practice routine or game. The goal should be number 9 made putts not number of made putts in a given time.

As for your short arm spin putting, I am not convinced it is any better than a good pitch putt, even in the wind. But putting is all about feel and everyone will feel differently in different conditions. So, use what works for you. I person ally have a lot less accuracy with a spin putt.

Putting is a uniquely intense part of the game. Breaks are definitely a good thing. And when you are putting, even in practice be focused. I think it is harder to be focused if you speed up the routine or have some sort of time element in the practice routine or game. The goal should be number 9 made putts not number of made putts in a given time.

As for your short arm spin putting, I am not convinced it is any better than a good pitch putt, even in the wind. But putting is all about feel and everyone will feel differently in different conditions. So, use what works for you. I person ally have a lot less accuracy with a spin putt.

No question. And you and Knuth (who kind of does a hybrid spush putt) are both great putters. To some degree, playing with you guys (Ian included) is what killed off my pitch putt.

You guys are so accurate from 25-40'... and my pitch putt became very reliant on finger spring at the 30+ range. To me, finger spring worked great when it worked, but it was all about maintaining the feel for it.

If I was going to play just putting competitions, I'd stick to pitch putting.

And maybe it also comes from the fact that you guys have been playing for a very long time. Ryan's been playing for 10+ years, so his putt is completely ingrained and available to recall.... and he makes me want to puke when he hits 50-60' putts nearly every round.

I am not using literary licence though when I say I've been putting almost daily for a year. I still get iced in a round and lose the groove. I've practiced so much it's absurd, and that style is SO successful for me in practice - but just miserable in a round.

For now, I'm putting my eggs in the short arm spin putt basket and hopefully I continue to see good results.

TLDR; I suck at putting in a round, many of the guys I play with are amazing pitch putters.

I've practiced so much it's absurd, and that style is SO successful for me in practice - but just miserable in a round.

TLDR; I suck at putting in a round, many of the guys I play with are amazing pitch putters.

Ya, this is exactly what I'm struggling with right now. Good success on the basket, miserable in round. Thankfully I'm a good enough at driving and approaching that I can still typically shoot rounds in the 900-930 rating area, but I'm trying to take my game to the next level. 950+ is easily within my reach if I could just average 3 or 4 made putts per round.

As far as a pre-putt routine I suggest NOT creating one, those should be something that just comes naturally. I have seen people create a pre-putt routine and all they end up thinking about, as they prepare to putt, is their routine. If that's what you're doing then you are not concentrating on the putt.

My best advice is to not over think this. :)

I think Jay dub is correct. This is my 2 cents from a newbie. I have started not to think of form at all, just focus. Each putt is different: stance, distance, wind.... You will never be able to focus on the actual putt, if you are thinking of form or you pre-putt routine. In fact, I would always ice my self worrying about form. Here is what has helped me a lot.
First and foremost, I focus on one element, balance!!!!
I start every practice secession up close 10-15ft. I am mainly focusing on on link all over the basket, not trying to make the putt. Next, I putt on a brick at 20ft. I stand on the brick with one foot. Back foot is off the ground. You rear foot is just a counter balance. You will find that if you are able to balance on the brick you make the putt and your form improves by just being in balance. I move next to putting at 20+ on a 2*4 with two feet while my weight is on the balls of my feet. My focus is just being able to place my back foot back in the same position after the follow through. Next, I take a normal stance and close my eyes and just feel the putt and guess if it is in and location. After that I move away and putt within 30+. I never focus on making the putts, just focus and balance. I think your body knows what it needs to do and your mind is the only element in the way!

As far as a pre-putt routine I suggest NOT creating one, those should be something that just comes naturally. I have seen people create a pre-putt routine and all they end up thinking about, as they prepare to putt, is their routine. If that's what you're doing then you are not concentrating on the putt.

My best advice is to not over think this. :)

I see where you're coming from. However, I did develop a putting routine unnaturally. It was a response to missed putts, though. I found a few things that could throw me off if they're wrong during a putt, so my pre-putt routine is to make sure those things are perfect. My pre-putt routine is: resituate hat, resituate glasses, resituate pant waist, pull up pant legs.

I think Jay dub is correct. This is my 2 cents from a newbie. I have started not to think of form at all, just focus. Each putt is different: stance, distance, wind.... You will never be able to focus on the actual putt, if you are thinking of form or you pre-putt routine. In fact, I would always ice my self worrying about form. Here is what has helped me a lot.
First and foremost, I focus on one element, balance!!!!
I start every practice secession up close 10-15ft. I am mainly focusing on on link all over the basket, not trying to make the putt. Next, I putt on a brick at 20ft. I stand on the brick with one foot. Back foot is off the ground. You rear foot is just a counter balance. You will find that if you are able to balance on the brick you make the putt and your form improves by just being in balance. I move next to putting at 20+ on a 2*4 with two feet while my weight is on the balls of my feet. My focus is just being able to place my back foot back in the same position after the follow through. Next, I take a normal stance and close my eyes and just feel the putt and guess if it is in and location. After that I move away and putt within 30+. I never focus on making the putts, just focus and balance. I think your body knows what it needs to do and your mind is the only element in the way!
I completely agree with the bolded part.

When I was practicing a lot i would simulate pressure for myself by not stopping until I made 10 straight from some given spot. When it has already gotten dark out and everyone else in the family has already eaten dinner you had better believe those 9th and 10th putts matter just as much as most any in a tournament round.

Even if you don't do this you should never stop on a missed putt- you are training your mind for the most part not your body and you don't want even a miss in practice to linger.

Do you guys that practice with stacks of putters hold a putter in your off hand while putting during rounds?

When I was practicing a lot i would simulate pressure for myself by not stopping until I made 10 straight from some given spot. When it has already gotten dark out and everyone else in the family has already eaten dinner you had better believe those 9th and 10th putts matter just as much as most any in a tournament round.

Even if you don't do this you should never stop on a missed putt- you are training your mind for the most part not your body and you don't want even a miss in practice to linger.
:thmbup:
I always make sure I end on a good shot.

Do you guys that practice with stacks of putters hold a putter in your off hand while putting during rounds?
I hold all my putters in my off hand. Right now I use 7 so there are 6 in that hand on my first putt. It helps me practice focus and concentration.