• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

most of the courses in Fort Worth are not exactly beginner friendly. North Park in Haltom City is probably the most forgiving in terms of lost discs. are you comfortable throwing around water? do you feel like you can control a disc pretty well?

zboaz and saddle hills both have creeks and challenging terrain
gateway is tight and technical with some dense rough
TCC NW has a bunch of holes that play along a reservoir and wind is always a factor
greenbriar is the most open and may be the best choice but does have a (usually) shallow creek and two holes that play along a pond

if you're not too worried about possibly losing discs or smacking more than a few trees, i think zboaz and saddle hills are the most enjoyable courses in town.

Thanks for the info! I'm not that worried about loosing discs, I used to play daily and had pretty good control but I could be a total mess after the long break. I do have about 20 old discs I pulled out of the garage so I'm sure no matter where I play I'll be donating a few discs to the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're not too worried about possibly losing discs or smacking more than a few trees, i think zboaz and saddle hills are the most enjoyable courses in town.

Zboaz I could let slide because I have a love/hate relationship with it lol..., but Saddle Hills is the most enjoyable course in the area? I play it several times a year, I'm curious what qualities make it the most enjoyable course for you?

wind is always a factor

True. Mornings are generally better and I find ZBoaz to be a little more protected than Saddle Hill.

Lake Weatherford is a great place to warm up though. No lost discs there.

Lot of cleanup work being done at ZBoaz. Really cutting down on some of the spots discs are most often lost.

Thanks for the info! I'm not that worried about loosing discs, I used to play daily and had pretty good control but I could be a total mess after the long break. I do have about 20 old discs I pulled out of the garage so I'm sure no matter where I play I'll be donating a few discs to the course.

You might want to check on those old discs - some could be pretty valuable depending on the condition. There's really helpful people in the "what is this disc worth" thread.

sure, you can even post it here in this thread.

Zboaz I could let slide because I have a love/hate relationship with it lol..., but Saddle Hills is the most enjoyable course in the area? I play it several times a year, I'm curious what qualities make it the most enjoyable course for you?

Zboaz is a great course and i'd call it easily the best course in Fort Worth. i'd also call it in the top 3 of DFW, with Jaranator and Harry Myers (for the record, haven't played the redesign yet).

as for Saddle Hills, i've always thought it was an awesome piece of land. from the time it was 9 holes it has been one of my favorites in DFW. great use of the creek, great use of elevation, fun and challenging holes (IMO). the old white and yellow tees had good different looks on a number of holes.

there have been a lot of changes over time, for better and for worse. it's nice that it has concrete tees now but i miss some of the old alternate tees. not a fan of new #5 but there were few options after they lost some land and a few holes. not really a fan of certain people pretending like they designed the course and coming off very overbearing but i'm glad that the course does have an enthusiastic steward that is serious about keeping it in great playing shape. that's more important than my opinion so thanks, John.

i get that there are some detractions that might really annoy certain people, especially players of advancing age. there are poor creek crossings and some of the elevation is tough to traverse. plus there were natural tees for years. if anyone out there in DFW is a stickler on tee pads and has avoided Saddle Hills for that reason, go check it out again.

Saddle Hills is my #2 in Fort Worth and i prefer it over Vets, Turner, Fritz, the Carrollton courses, the McKinney courses. being in Denton, i play Lake Park, Trophy Club, and maybe Heritage most often but Saddle Hills is right there with those ones for me.

I need help. More specifically, disc golf in the Frisco/Little Elm/The Colony corridor needs help. We have so many more players now and the courses are getting over-crowded.
I'm not talking about 3 groups waiting on hole 1 on Saturday morning kind of crowded. This is more like "hey it's Monday at 3pm and there is a group on every hole at McCord" kind of crowded. I saw it happen again yesterday around 2:30...it was Wednesday. Dash's Track too, and I'm sure Bill Allen has seen the same surge of players as everyone else's local courses has.

I started emailing with John Houck early last year when I had more time to scout potential new locations, and he has been encouraged by the local interest (the Brodie-bump) and that the PGA is moving their world headquarters to the area.

So far, I've focused on two areas. One is across the street from Dash's Track but wouldn't allow for a true 'championship level' course, even though it is about twice the area of Dash's.

north side of Beavers Bend Park off Legacy Drive is practically walking distance from Dash's Track DG Park. The total area looks to be about twice the size of Dash's Track actual course area just to the west across 4th Army Ave, directly south of the baseball fields. There is some parking, an existing park, and a trail. It has HVPLs overhead just like Dash's and a public water facility to the south. This area would provide a more open course compared to Dash's tight short lines, and but there seems to be plenty of trees. This is a much easier area to check out on foot too.

The second picture is the spot for a truly epic, hosting-majors kind of course. The PGA is eating up all the land east of 423 for their courses and mansions, but this area is between older established neighborhoods (so no new construction) and the Lake Lewisville coastline is all Army Corp of Engineer land. My wife has access to all the local geo and federal maps from her job as an environmental consultant.

Now that the weather is better, I need help walking this land and taking pics/videos. I'm trying to work my way into a position on the Frisco Community Relations Board so I can direct some attention to this effort, but Parks is really the 'in' we would need. Little Elm Parks and Houck Designs worked together on McCord Park, but the effort to make this happen would almost entirely come from local discers.

Hit me up if you want to spend a few hours stomping through woods and wetlands to take pictures! :D

Attachments

• East of Dash's Track.jpg
    East of Dash's Track.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Panther Creek west of 423.jpg
    Panther Creek west of 423.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 19
DFW suggestions

Coming out of a 15 year hiatus from playing. I'm in Fort Worth. Any suggestions what course I should start at?

I didn't see Bicentennial Park in Crowley mentioned. Creek and elevation in play. Course flow is not the best, but the holes are excellent. Two 9-holers worth checking out are Sonora Park in Kennedale and Eagle Ranch (Houck design) in far northwest Fort Worth (basically Lake Worth). Both have also have water in play, and Eagle Ranch has elevation.

FYI... Selah Ranch is now under new ownership as Pure Hope Ranch, and the disc golf courses remain.

I'm old and admittedly losing enthusiasm for the game. I'm not quitting, just downsizing my commitment. I'm going to sell about 100 discs next week. I want this to be easy and quick.

What store pays the most for discs? I'm not interested in store credit. I want to partially pay myself back for the camera I bought.

DFW area only.

Thanks in advance!

I'm old and admittedly losing enthusiasm for the game. I'm not quitting, just downsizing my commitment. I'm going to sell about 100 discs next week. I want this to be easy and quick.

What store pays the most for discs? I'm not interested in store credit. I want to partially pay myself back for the camera I bought.

DFW area only.

Thanks in advance!

For stock stuff, PIAS, DD Carrollton, and Replay all have about the same rates.

If you have discs you think are collectible, Second Hand Sports in Denton at least charges more, so they may give you a better price. I'd check that their buyer is in before you head up there.

I might buy your Innova and Millennium if you know what you want to get out of them.

DFW area only.

Thanks in advance!

You're going to lose a crap load of value selling it to a store. You should be able to move 100 discs fairly quickly. I would just show up at a few DFW minis and sell out of your car. Or join a few Facebook groups and sell to the members there.

i'll echo DiscFifty's comment and also add that i wouldn't waste my time with the Denton store

you might have better luck just posting what you have here and set a meetup / casual round to sell to DFW locals. i'd be down to meet, play a round, and pick a few things out of your collection.

DFW area only.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, give the regulars a shot at your collection first. I really only buy used discs and would like a chance to dig for a few jems.
With all the rain this weekend, maybe we can all arrange a meetup somewhere?

Yeah, give the regulars a shot at your collection first. I really only buy used discs and would like a chance to dig for a few jems.
With all the rain this weekend, maybe we can all arrange a meetup somewhere?

I like this idea. Discs aside I wouldn't mind meeting you all, even though I don't post much.

DFW area only.

Thanks in advance!

How about a meetup Sunday morning? Depending on what's convenient time and location-wise for you, I can meet just about anywhere in DFW between 10-11am.

I appreciate everyone helping out. Unfortunately I can't make it Sunday due to a union meeting. First Sunday of every month... and this one is a special memorial event.

I don't play much anymore. Maybe a round every other week. Between family and chores, I don't have much time to play.

Latest posts