• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

You can't go wrong with any of these recommendations. Turner Park in Grand Prairie will be closest to where you're staying. Fritz isn't far from there. The others are farther out, but worth the drive to play if they interest you. Lots of good reviews here on the site to help guide your decision. Have fun!

I haven't played veterans but hear great things.

Also hear it's got a lot of blind shots from the tees and everything around here is green and full. If your time is limited that may be tough one to play blind.

Like everywhere in the middle of the US, we are in a heat wave. Be prepared with water and probably want to use something for ticks.

wheres the word about turner getting taken down coming from?

From the course Pro and course designer Jim Dart. He is trying to keep the course in play. They did just redo the "mando" for hole 3. I don't know the time table, but the courses days are numbered.

i just saw something fro 4-5 years ago saying the same thing, but also read it was gonna stay a disc golf course and they didnt wanna take it down, just renovate the park. google search it

The city has developed a master plan for the park that does not include disc golf but the bond funding it has not yet been floated. Last I heard they were aiming to implement in 2026.

Last edited:
i just saw something fro 4-5 years ago saying the same thing, but also read it was gonna stay a disc golf course and they didnt wanna take it down, just renovate the park. google search it

this
VVV

The city has developed a master plan for the park that does not include disc golf but the bond funding it has not yet been floated. Last I heard they were aiming to implement in 2026.

the course is definitely going away. it will just take awhile before it does

Flying into DFW next week for a quick work overnight and will have a shot to play probably only one course in town. Never played anywhere around here. Because I've seen so much video coverage of these, my first inclinations would be to try either Harry Meyers or Veterans. Both look right up my alley in terms of my style/ability. If left to my own devices, I'd probably just go to Meyers for the Houck factor. BUT, I figured I'd check with you Texas DG aficionados first!

Any locals have opinions on the "if you could only choose one" question? thanks!

i'm in the minority of locals who think that Veterans is a bit overrated. it is a nice course and has some cool elevation changes but IMO the back 9 doesn't really deliver. haven't been to the new Harry Myers layout yet but it's obviously a great course, a bit of a hike from where you will be. i also think the Lester Lorch courses are very good but also overrated by virtue of having 2 courses on site.

Turner and Fritz are both pretty good closer options and Turner will be gone at some point. if staying closer means maybe playing both, i'd probably do that. if i were going to make the drive, i'd probably rather go to Zboaz in Fort Worth than go out to Harry Myers. and Saddle Hills in Fort Worth is comparable in style to Vets but better, i think.

leaving out the private Jaranator course (where access could be an issue) my "only choose one" course in DFW is probably Zboaz. enjoy your time and let us know where you end up playing and what you think.

FYI: new Mach V baskets were installed at Lawnview (in east Dallas) this spring to replace the damaged/missing ones. That 9 hole course is complete once again.

There's still no bridge to cross the creek on hole #6, though, and I got awfully muddy today trying to do so. Sometimes... the course wins.

Thinking through my current top 10 in DFW.

I think the top 3 are all pretty close for me. I enjoy courses that aren't packed full of other people where I can get lost in nature a little bit more. I think the elevation at Coyote beats out some of the beautiful greens at Hideway.
1. Lester Lorch Coyote
2. Hideaway
3. Lester Lorch Beaver

Three nice park style courses. Harry Myers has some great holes but isn't quite as magical an experience for me as the other two. It's so crowded with other park visitors.
4. Z-Boaz
5. Trophy Club
6. Harry Myers

Heritage might be the toughest course for me on this list. Seems to really favor a FH player. I probably play it more than all the other courses for some reason...maybe because it's the least effected by wind?
7. Heritage
8. Veterans
9. Gateway
10. Bill Allen

Haven't played Jaranator.

i haven't been out to Hideaway yet. but debatable whether to call it a DFW course...

i'm still always surprised when i see the lester lorch courses rated so highly. not saying they are not good courses but Zboaz, Towne Lake, Trophy Club, Saddle Hills, and Harry Myers are all higher on my list. and Jaranator is at the top.

i haven't been out to Gateway in years. anyone know if the original layout is ever coming back?

i haven't been out to Hideaway yet. but debatable whether to call it a DFW course...

i'm still always surprised when i see the lester lorch courses rated so highly. not saying they are not good courses but Zboaz, Towne Lake, Trophy Club, Saddle Hills, and Harry Myers are all higher on my list. and Jaranator is at the top.

i haven't been out to Gateway in years. anyone know if the original layout is ever coming back?

Heheh the developers in Terrell are desperate to call it part of DFW, "Live here, work in Dallas!"

For me I think the Lorch courses combine elevation, water carries, tight wooded holes, and wide open distance better than any other courses, in a flow that doesn't feel flukey.

I don't think any of the other courses have that variety balanced so nicely.

But would love to hear compelling arguments for some of the other ones!

Heheh the developers in Terrell are desperate to call it part of DFW, "Live here, work in Dallas!"

For me I think the Lorch courses combine elevation, water carries, tight wooded holes, and wide open distance better than any other courses, in a flow that doesn't feel flukey.

I used to love the Lester Lorch courses but I haven't played them since they fell into disrepair. Did they get fixed back up? Some of my disc golf buddies have difficulty with the terrain though, especially coyote. Just tough to walk, so I probably won't make it out there anytime soon.

The so-called Terrell course is only a few feet this side of the county line. The "Terrell course" is way up by Quinlan. I can't imagine living that far out and working in Dallas, but I lived in Terrell and worked in Dallas for years before I got a remote work opportunity.

I played Lester Lorch this summer in a tournament. It seemed in good shape to me.

There are a lot of courses I have not played in the DFW area, so I can't comment on what is best across the metroplex, but ZBoaz has a great combination of challenging lines through trees and open holes IMO. I think you get everything at Z in 18 holes that you play 36 for at Coyote.

I really like Bicentennial as well. It is a bit more of a bomber course in general, but I think it's a great course overall. Lot of elevation changes and some tight lines.

Saddle Hills and Gateway are both fun to play. Saddle being a lot like Z, just a step behind and Gateway is similar to Coyote without the elevation.

I played Lester Lorch this summer in a tournament. It seemed in good shape to me.

There are a lot of courses I have not played in the DFW area, so I can't comment on what is best across the metroplex, but ZBoaz has a great combination of challenging lines through trees and open holes IMO. I think you get everything at Z in 18 holes that you play 36 for at Coyote.

I really like Bicentennial as well. It is a bit more of a bomber course in general, but I think it's a great course overall. Lot of elevation changes and some tight lines.

Saddle Hills and Gateway are both fun to play. Saddle being a lot like Z, just a step behind and Gateway is similar to Coyote without the elevation.

I avoid zboaz because some of the terrain is difficult for me to walk due to steep inclines. Plus, I can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time so I have to use a cart with a seat. Not the most cart friendly course. I also don't feel safe out there. The permanent fire pit littered with evidence of prohibited substances is cool and all, but it's a testament to the lack of police presence due to jurisdictional issues. The course is located in one city on land that was donated to another city so the local police can't even come out if someone is murdered out there, or so I'm told. I already go Texas style on some wooded courses that aren't like that and have everything from coyotes to homeless people living in the woods near the holes. I just feel zboaz is going to have some kind of disaster eventually and I don't want to be there when it happens.

All those courses are a bit far for me to travel these days, so I tend to stick to east side courses that don't have much elevation. You get some elevation at Harry Myers and Porter elementary, but that's about it.

I avoid zboaz because some of the terrain is difficult for me to walk due to steep inclines. Plus, I can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time so I have to use a cart with a seat. Not the most cart friendly course. I also don't feel safe out there. The permanent fire pit littered with evidence of prohibited substances is cool and all, but it's a testament to the lack of police presence due to jurisdictional issues. The course is located in one city on land that was donated to another city so the local police can't even come out if someone is murdered out there, or so I'm told. I already go Texas style on some wooded courses that aren't like that and have everything from coyotes to homeless people living in the woods near the holes. I just feel zboaz is going to have some kind of disaster eventually and I don't want to be there when it happens.

All those courses are a bit far for me to travel these days, so I tend to stick to east side courses that don't have much elevation. You get some elevation at Harry Myers and Porter elementary, but that's about it.

Totally understand all of those points. I'm not as mobile as I'd like to be, but still able to manage the terrain at Z/Saddle/Bicentennial, etc. I've played Veterans a couple of times and it has flat out kicked my butt. Playing in the heat and those hills were just too much for me--but I'm going to work on that this winter (lose weight and increase cardio).

I'm on the west side of Fort Worth (actually closer to Weatherford). I don't know if you have played it, but Lake Weatherford would be a good course for you. Essentially flat and easy to walk terrain, but has some trees--mainly low canopy rather than tight lines. Great cart course. North Park is another good one for using a cart.

As far as Z goes for the crazies or other aspects, we play early--basically at sunrise, so we are frequently the only people on the course for most of our round. We have only run in to one person that was truly sketchy in the past 2 years. This guy walked up on us on hole 15 and started asking/accusing us of talking "sh#t" about him. Said he was camping in his car apparently on the other side of the park and heard people talking about him. We had no idea he was in the park until he walked up on us.

Just remembered, Z has improved the big downhill climb on 9. They put down several yards of mulch and made the walk down MUCH easier. You still have the rocky ledges to climb on 2 and 8, plus the sketchy creek crossings. It's still not cart friendly IMO, particularly if you are using the cart out of need due to mobility challenges. But it's a great course with a little bit of everything.

Gateway news

Stopped by today on the way back from playing in Dallas. Eight (I was told nine but I saw eight) holes are in the area that used to be the start of the course. The first four holes are basically the same (but a slightly different order). After that, you've got flags in the ground marking tee areas (one uses a walking/running path as the tee pad, and another uses a left over from the original layout). The baskets are a mixed bag of DGA and Innova models.

Totally understand all of those points. I'm not as mobile as I'd like to be, but still able to manage the terrain at Z/Saddle/Bicentennial, etc. I've played Veterans a couple of times and it has flat out kicked my butt. Playing in the heat and those hills were just too much for me--but I'm going to work on that this winter (lose weight and increase cardio).

I'm on the west side of Fort Worth (actually closer to Weatherford). I don't know if you have played it, but Lake Weatherford would be a good course for you. Essentially flat and easy to walk terrain, but has some trees--mainly low canopy rather than tight lines. Great cart course. North Park is another good one for using a cart.

As far as Z goes for the crazies or other aspects, we play early--basically at sunrise, so we are frequently the only people on the course for most of our round. We have only run in to one person that was truly sketchy in the past 2 years. This guy walked up on us on hole 15 and started asking/accusing us of talking "sh#t" about him. Said he was camping in his car apparently on the other side of the park and heard people talking about him. We had no idea he was in the park until he walked up on us.

Just remembered, Z has improved the big downhill climb on 9. They put down several yards of mulch and made the walk down MUCH easier. You still have the rocky ledges to climb on 2 and 8, plus the sketchy creek crossings. It's still not cart friendly IMO, particularly if you are using the cart out of need due to mobility challenges. But it's a great course with a little bit of everything.

I played tournaments at weatherford and Northpark years back. If I lived close I expect those would be frequent choices for me.

i pretty much agree with txmxer on this but you don't get the water carries at Zboaz. i do have to admit that it has been years since i have played beaver and coyote though. i can't picture every hole in my head.

my favorite elevation changes on a course in DFW are at saddle hills. favorite water features is tough, Jimmy Porter and especially McCord use their creeks really well. are the water carries on Beaver the only real forced carries in DFW? i can't think of another. oh, Fritz has one. i guess Jaranator has one too.

Stopped by today on the way back from playing in Dallas. Eight (I was told nine but I saw eight) holes are in the area that used to be the start of the course. The first four holes are basically the same (but a slightly different order). After that, you've got flags in the ground marking tee areas (one uses a walking/running path as the tee pad, and another uses a left over from the original layout). The baskets are a mixed bag of DGA and Innova models.

i was under the impression that the new layout (years old, at this point) was entirely in the area of the back 9 of the original layout. has the redesign been redesigned? how does the current layout compare to the map posted here?

i was under the impression that the new layout (years old, at this point) was entirely in the area of the back 9 of the original layout. has the redesign been redesigned? how does the current layout compare to the map posted here?

The "new" layout at Gateway is in an area that housed some of the original back 9 but not all of it. The map posted here appears to be correct for the current course. The new holes are west of the current course. That land doesn't appear on the map here; it is off the bottom of the page. It is right of the park road when you turn in from East First Street.

Latest posts