• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

That's easy to figure out why. They're trying to lessen the so called "baggers,' by lowering the threshold entry fee for open (trying to attract more) and making it higher in Rec and intermediate (trying to discourage more). Those divisions are where most of the complaints come from.

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately the ams I play with at weekly minis would not agree with that.

On a different note:

Local player Emerson Keith has become the 3rd highest rated player in Texas! Only 8 points behind Bradley Williams.

https://www.pdga.com/player/47472
https://www.facebook.com/emerson.keith

GK Productions covered the final round of the 2019 Winter Warm Up featuring some of DFW's finest. This a very nice production so make sure you subscribe to their channel.

As the new year is upon us, I would like to take this time to thank everyone involved with the DFW disc golf community. For those who may not know, DFW is one of the most active disc golf areas in the county. Almost every day of the week there is a casual/pro mini and the weekends usually bring us either more minis or official PDGA tournaments. If you are on Facebook and have not joined the DFW Disc Golf Mini List, you should take the time to join. It can be reached here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DFWDGminis/

I setup this account here to simply provide an outlet for posting information about the DFW disc golf scene. While playing in over 200 local DFW PDGA events, I've witnessed some interesting developments, trends, in recent years regarding PDGA tournaments that the DFW community may or may not be familiar with, especially how these compare with events in other parts of the country.

If you don't know about the 2019 Tour Standards set up by the PDGA, I would highly suggest taking the time to view this document. I will be using the information provided in this document from time to time to highlight various details in regards to PDGA tournaments in the DFW area.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2019_pdga_tour_standards_0.pdf

As you will know from reading the 2019 PDGA Tour Standards document, there is a pricing structure setup by the PDGA that TDs are encouraged to use. While there is no official mandate on the pricing structure, as written in the document: "TDs are strongly urged not to exceed the values listed in this table in determining their PDGA net entry fees."

I will not interject personal opinion into the facts I post here. I will leave that up to anyone reading it and they can decide what they would like to do with the information provided.

There is a trend in the DFW area to lower PDGA entry fees for pros while raising the fees for ams.

(Verified on 1/3/2019)
Hyzerbomb: 2019 Polar Open 1/12/2019
MPO division $10.00 lower than the suggested pricing structure while Immediate is $20.00 HIGHER than the PDGA suggested pricing, Rec & Junior is both $15.00 higher.

(Verified on 1/3/2019)
Dynamic Discs: Straddle the Brazos 1/13/2019
MPO division $15.00 lower than the suggested pricing structure while Immediate is $25.00 HIGHER than the PDGA suggested pricing, Rec is $15.00 higher & Junior is $10.00 higher.

I've noticed this trend of inflating AM prices and it bothers me a little. My wife plays Women's Int, but to her it's hard to justify dropping $45-50 to play with a field of maybe 2 or 3 women (or even 0 on a bad day).

On the men's side of things, I wish we could stick closer to the recommended $25 as well. I got a $90 merch payout last year at one tournament and it's fun to blow that credit on some new discs, but I would have been totally content with a smaller entry fee and $50 of credit.

I've noticed this trend of inflating AM prices and it bothers me a little. My wife plays Women's Int, but to her it's hard to justify dropping $45-50 to play with a field of maybe 2 or 3 women (or even 0 on a bad day).

On the men's side of things, I wish we could stick closer to the recommended $25 as well. I got a $90 merch payout last year at one tournament and it's fun to blow that credit on some new discs, but I would have been totally content with a smaller entry fee and $50 of credit.
Just dropped $210 (A Tier) for entry in to the Nick Hyde for my son (junior) and myself (Int). I honestly don't mind it though, the payouts Matt Siri (TD) put together are always great, and the player pack is always great as well (I mostly sell everything from it and get my entry fee back).

For B and C tiers though I agree, really wish they'd lower the entry fees.

I'll keep playing in my group of friends. It's more fun, competition is great, it doesn't take all day and it costs less. The DFW tourney structure discourages AM players. So be it.

I headed over to Heritage in Flower Mound to play a quick round during lunch, but it was too crowded and I didn't have time to wait so I played Coppell's Andy Brown instead. I got 18 played in an hour like I wanted, but I wound up throwing or rolling four discs into the ponds. Grrrr! At least I birdied more than I OB'ed.

Thank you for the comment. Most tournaments seem to be filling, and until they don't, I'm sure the prices will keep going up. I'm registered in 6 tournaments already, and the one thing I 100% agree on is either smaller entry fees or someway to not pay extra for a player's pack I have no need for. That's one thing I will be addressing publicly at some point because just about everyone I've talked to says they would be interested in lower entry fees at the expense of not having a player's pack.

Thank you for the comment. Most tournaments seem to be filling, and until they don't, I'm sure the prices will keep going up. I'm registered in 6 tournaments already, and the one thing I 100% agree on is either smaller entry fees or someway to not pay extra for a player's pack I have no need for. That's one thing I will be addressing publicly at some point because just about everyone I've talked to says they would be interested in lower entry fees at the expense of not having a player's pack.

I'm in. No players pack, lower entry fees, and maybe even more funny money in the end. I'd rather money go towards funny money payouts rather than a players pack full of discs I don't want/can't resell.

Our group played the new course at the Cedar Valley Community College on Saturday. It's a fun course to play. Aclay was in the group and made an accurate review. I agree with him that if there isn't regular trimming, it could get overgrown very quickly. If you want to play it in its "fun to play" form, I advise you to get out there soon. It's a fun round.

Thanks for the kind words, eegor, but now that you've told everyone about this hidden game, it will get crowded. Oh, wait. I think I spilled the beans first.

Is anyone aware of any damage to local courses due to the wind storm which blew through Dallas on Sunday afternoon, June 9th?

As the new year is upon us, I would like to take this time to thank everyone involved with the DFW disc golf community. For those who may not know, DFW is one of the most active disc golf areas in the county. Almost every day of the week there is a casual/pro mini and the weekends usually bring us either more minis or official PDGA tournaments. If you are on Facebook and have not joined the DFW Disc Golf Mini List, you should take the time to join. It can be reached here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DFWDGminis/

I setup this account here to simply provide an outlet for posting information about the DFW disc golf scene. While playing in over 200 local DFW PDGA events, I've witnessed some interesting developments, trends, in recent years regarding PDGA tournaments that the DFW community may or may not be familiar with, especially how these compare with events in other parts of the country.

If you don't know about the 2019 Tour Standards set up by the PDGA, I would highly suggest taking the time to view this document. I will be using the information provided in this document from time to time to highlight various details in regards to PDGA tournaments in the DFW area.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2019_pdga_tour_standards_0.pdf

As you will know from reading the 2019 PDGA Tour Standards document, there is a pricing structure setup by the PDGA that TDs are encouraged to use. While there is no official mandate on the pricing structure, as written in the document: "TDs are strongly urged not to exceed the values listed in this table in determining their PDGA net entry fees."

I will not interject personal opinion into the facts I post here. I will leave that up to anyone reading it and they can decide what they would like to do with the information provided.

There is a trend in the DFW area to lower PDGA entry fees for pros while raising the fees for ams.

(Verified on 1/3/2019)
Hyzerbomb: 2019 Polar Open 1/12/2019
MPO division $10.00 lower than the suggested pricing structure while Immediate is $20.00 HIGHER than the PDGA suggested pricing, Rec & Junior is both $15.00 higher.

(Verified on 1/3/2019)
Dynamic Discs: Straddle the Brazos 1/13/2019
MPO division $15.00 lower than the suggested pricing structure while Immediate is $25.00 HIGHER than the PDGA suggested pricing, Rec is $15.00 higher & Junior is $10.00 higher.

If this pricing considers that pros will not get a players pack, then i have zero problem with it.

As far as pricing for Ams (I only play am), I am much in favor of no or limited player packs. In return i would be ok with allowing TD's to only pay out 85-90% of entry fees. and for petes sake allow amenities offered at the tourney to be part of that 85-90%. Nothing builds the disc golf community more than everyone having lunch together between rounds and the PDGA rules currently discourage this.

I see a "new" course has been added in McKinney. Another course named after B.B. Owen. Pizza God says it's too overgrown to play and the pictures taken back it up. It looks like it might be playable in late winter. This is the first I've heard of it.

Does anyone know the history of this course? http://dgcour.se/10934

So Heritage Park in Flower Mound is really nice. It's gonna be a great course for years to come. IMO, it's easily a top 10 course in the metroplex. its pretty muddy out there right now so bring a few towels with ya!:hfive:

Just in the top 10? Granted since the Grapevine course was pulled, it's good to have another course in the area, but I was hoping it would be an elite professional course providing something we didn't have in the area. (Pause to read the reviews here..) Too bad it's a short course, the longest holes are only about 420. Sounds like a good course to challenge the local scene, but it's not going to attract the big tournaments to the area. With Turner Park going away, I was hoping this course would fill that void.

Latest posts