• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG in National Advertisement

John Rock

Double Eagle Member
I was looking through my latest issue of ALL ABOUT BEER magazine when I came across the ad for Odell Brewing (Ft. Collins, CO). It has 2 bottles with handwritten things the brewers enjoy. Disc Golf is at the top of the left bottle, plus a nice little basket drawn as well. How's that for exposure? COOL!

i always thought that the pDGA should be more active in getting beer companies as sponsors. fits the identity of the sport well and i think the beer sponsor would have a higher rate of return in their investment.

definitely awesome tho

That's pretty cool. And micro brew sponsors would be the way to go. Seems like a majority around here drink alternatives to tasteless beers.

i always thought that the pDGA should be more active in getting beer companies as sponsors. fits the identity of the sport well and i think the beer sponsor would have a higher rate of return in their investment.

definitely awesome tho

The National Tour was sponsored by Woodchuck Cider for years. The 2008 worlds in Michigan had a title sponsor of a local brewry.

Trust me, the PDGA does these things when they are given the chance.

Trust me, the PDGA does these things when they are given the chance.

But isn't that the problem? "when they are given the chance"

I understand it might not have been the best choice of words on _MTL_'s part, but PDGA should be making the chance, not wait for it to be given.

"when they are given the chance" means "when the PDGA is given the chance to market to them."

It's not that the PDGA isn't waiting for people to call them. But getting companies to listen is the hard part.

Anything but woodchuck :gross:

But isn't that the problem? "when they are given the chance"

I understand it might not have been the best choice of words on _MTL_'s part, but PDGA should be making the chance, not wait for it to be given.

Why is it the job of the governing body to go out and find sponsors? The NBA doesn't go ask gatorade to sponsor Kevin Durant, and the PGA didn't hook up Tiger with Nike. The people who benefit from the sponsorships are the ones who need to be pounding the pavement if they think that disc golf is something these companies would want to sponsor. It's also going to be a lot more possible for TDs and players to get local level sponsorships for tournaments or specific players than it is for the PDGA to try to convince a company to sponsor a whole tour.

I think I saw a Magic Hat bottle cap that said something about disc golf once.

That's pretty cool. And micro brew sponsors would be the way to go. Seems like a majority around here drink alternatives to tasteless beers.

And there are a lot of DGers in the craft brewing industry. I was in CO fora business trip in June and picked up discs at Odells and New Belgium. It was some of the young brewers at our brewery that inspired me to start playing DG. I ended up making a connection with a guy at Pure Flight DG Shop in Amherst, MA...and fate being what it is, our brewery is sponsoring the Vibram Open.

Hopefully this doesn't smack of self promotion, just seemed in the spirit of the thread.

If you're curious: bbcpint.com

And there are a lot of DGers in the craft brewing industry. I was in CO fora business trip in June and picked up discs at Odells and New Belgium. It was some of the young brewers at our brewery that inspired me to start playing DG. I ended up making a connection with a guy at Pure Flight DG Shop in Amherst, MA...and fate being what it is, our brewery is sponsoring the Vibram Open.

Hopefully this doesn't smack of self promotion, just seemed in the spirit of the thread.

If you're curious: bbcpint.com
It is definitely true that a lot of DGers are in the craft brewing industry. The local craft brewery in Columbia was started by DGers and a craft brewery in Charlotte named one of its beers after disc golf.

If someone bottled craft beers in those re-closeable twist-top cans that millerlite has, they could run away with the disc golf beer market! Never have to worry about kicking them over or spilling in your bag.

Why is it the job of the governing body to go out and find sponsors? The NBA doesn't go ask gatorade to sponsor Kevin Durant, and the PGA didn't hook up Tiger with Nike. The people who benefit from the sponsorships are the ones who need to be pounding the pavement if they think that disc golf is something these companies would want to sponsor. It's also going to be a lot more possible for TDs and players to get local level sponsorships for tournaments or specific players than it is for the PDGA to try to convince a company to sponsor a whole tour.

I think it's within the governing body's scope to seek national sponsors for its National Tour. And probaby World Championships.

Though it's silly when some suggest that they haven't thought of doing so, or tried to do so. Their very limited success can be attributed to incompetence (for PDGA-bashers), or the very small potential market we offer for advertisers (my belief).

Should we ever reach the size and demographics that would benefit national sponsors, I'd expect the PDGA to solicit them.

Why is it the job of the governing body to go out and find sponsors? The NBA doesn't go ask gatorade to sponsor Kevin Durant, and the PGA didn't hook up Tiger with Nike.

But the NBA itself has sponsors & sponsorship deals, that they actively seek out to work together with this sponsor to further promote their league.

The idea's the same, you (the player or league) uses the sponsor to help fund and/or advertise your activities so you can go do that voodoo that you do so well, and they get to say they're the official X (disc, beer, clothing line, condom, etc) of the player or league.

The pro sports leagues don't line up their players sponsors, but they'll happily sign up with a beer company, who advertises that they're the official beer sponsor of the league, in return getting sold prominently in the stadiums, getting their logo slapped on league materials, and so on.

But what do I know, I like Woodchuck. :eek:

Latest posts