• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's Holding Disc Golf Back

We could get the Bush girls? or the Palin pups? oh.. Positive role models! So we should probably ditch politicians as a whole. :D Nothing is holding the sport back, it just isn't growing at as rapid a rate as some people would like. Vibram seems to be one of the great supporters with real prize money at the Vibram Open (I browsed the page, didn't read into it, so if I am wrong, meh. Won't be the first time.) I play both ball and disc, completely different mentality, I actually drink more playing ball, it really does improve my game. I am the "rec" player at ball, in fact I'm sure other ball golfers shake their head at me. (I actually ran a cart into a tree last year.) If you had to point to a person and say "They are why there shouldn't be public ball golf courses" it's going to probably be me. :D

Here's something else to think about... MLB, NFL, PGA, And whatever the sanctioned Tennis association is have been around for going on a century now, in some cases longer. It will get there, it just may take some time. If bowling and table tennis are on ESPN, disc golf will be.

speaking of sports that shouldn't be on TV if DG isn't... Darts, how did this game make it on TV? I like darts but if there was a game, not a sport, that was more designed to drink, smoke and play I haven't seen it yet.

Here's something else to think about... MLB, NFL, PGA, And whatever the sanctioned Tennis association is have been around for going on a century now, in some cases longer. It will get there, it just may take some time. If bowling and table tennis are on ESPN, disc golf will be.

This is the best answer, imo. Comparing DG to extreme sports is the wrong comparison. Nothing extreme about disc golf, in reality it's boring to watch unless you're a player. The best comparisons are the type of sports Jeasy mentioned.

100 years from now it will be on TV. :)

This is the best answer, imo. Comparing DG to extreme sports is the wrong comparison. Nothing extreme about disc golf, in reality it's boring to watch unless you're a player. The best comparisons are the type of sports Jeasy mentioned.

100 years from now it will be on TV. :)

I'm new to dgcr, and so far every reply to any post I've made has been a smart arsed comment made by some punk. Glad to see there are some people out there that can add intellect to a conversation.

I'm new to dgcr, and so far every reply to any post I've made has been a smart arsed comment made by some punk. Glad to see there are some people out there that can add intellect to a conversation.

Hahaha! That's funny and true. There are a lot of so called "internet bad azzes" on this site. :thmbup:

btw, thanks!

In my opinion, table tennis is an excellent spectator sport, though as with any sport, people who actually play it will be the more interested viewers.

why do you even throw disc? if you question anything you dont belong. bottom line. pick up bowling or softball. waste time elsewhere..

So stupid. Only idiots and fools subscribe to the belief that the status quo shouldn't be questioned. I hate the term "sheeple", but it is statements like the one above that make it appropriate.

Last edited:
Status quo should be questioned, just not by noobs!

The reason darts, bowling, world's strongest man, etc. are on TV is that they have a money sponsor that approached ESPN in the early days of the network and negotiated a sweet lifetime deal. The network is making money off of the advertising that is sold, and there's nothing going into that time slot now, so it stays.

If disc golf is going to be on TV, it's going to be on something like Versus or the Outdoor channel -- something that needs programming at odd hours. In the beginning, disc golf will probably be shown at 2 in the morning right before the infomercials start, and we'll have to DVR it to watch it. Nothing will be shown live. As more people record and watch, the time slot will get better, and some events will be broadcast live (probably not too many).

The only other scenario I can see is if ESPN starts an "extreme/fringe sports" channel featuring X-Games type stuff. Then disc golf might fit in with the street luge and off road skateboarding. Personally, I think that would be the better option (even if it isn't ESPN that creates the network, I think you'd find that demographic to be pretty lucrative to target).

If the goal is to get disc golf mainstream acceptance and media coverage (which judging from this thread is FAR from certain), then I think the biggest thing holding it back is our narrow thinking. We're focused on ESPN like it's some Holy Grail of Sports Acceptance when there are other networks that could be a much better fit. We need to broaden our perspective.

If you really want to go mainstream you need to have disc sports in the Olympics. People have tried for years, with no success. Is it just possible we wern't meant for mainstream appeal? And is there really anything wrong with that?

And to all you noobs who are so intent on changing the sport, or insisting that there is something wrong with it, **** ***. How would you like it if I got all in your buisness and started telling you what was holding your long time favorite pastime back? Your opinions are welcome, but quit trying to fix us!

Status quo should be questioned, just not by noobs!

I disagree. Sometimes it takes fresh eyes and minds to bring new ideas to the table. Too often people do things in a way that is completely stupid because "that's the way it has always been done". Why do you think businesses bring in outside consultants to help improve their business? Dismissing someones ideas on the basis that they are "noobs" is just ignorant.

If you really want to go mainstream you need to have disc sports in the Olympics. People have tried for years, with no success. Is it just possible we wern't meant for mainstream appeal? And is there really anything wrong with that?

And to all you noobs who are so intent on changing the sport, or insisting that there is something wrong with it, **** ***. How would you like it if I got all in your buisness and started telling you what was holding your long time favorite pastime back? Your opinions are welcome, but quit trying to fix us!

So, because no one has been successful at getting it into the olympics yet, it is impossible and we should quit? If people quit trying to do things because "it didn't work the first time", think of how little would ever get accomplished. Sounds like the mantra of a lazy person to me.

The Olympics are a big budget national penis waving contest every 4 years. Very few of the sports you see are big money makers. The big money makers have professional levels that make all the money and get all the "mainstream" exposure. The Olympics are a mix-match of popular national pastimes that the entire world gets exposed to, it has nothing to do with mainstream. Baseball is out of the Olympics...how mainstream is that? We see Curling every 4 years and it still hasn't taken off in this country.

So, because no one has been successful at getting it into the olympics yet, it is impossible and we should quit? If people quit trying to do things because "it didn't work the first time", think of how little would ever get accomplished. Sounds like the mantra of a lazy person to me.

You and all your little noob buddies can carry the torch for the next 35 years. Good luck! Me, I'm happy with the way things are!

And if you have to result to insults, then it is you sir who are an ass.

The Olympics are a big budget national penis waving contest every 4 years. Very few of the sports you see are big money makers. The big money makers have professional levels that make all the money and get all the "mainstream" exposure. The Olympics are a mix-match of popular national pastimes that the entire world gets exposed to, it has nothing to do with mainstream. Baseball is out of the Olympics...how mainstream is that? We see Curling every 4 years and it still hasn't taken off in this country.

I never said anything about making money. The Olympics would expose ALOT of people to the sport that have never heard of disc golf before. As far as baseball goes, who cares? Sports come and go from the Olympics all the time. Look at how fast some sports like Snowbording have come in such a short time.

Mabye you guys can go post on the Snowboarding forums and tell 'em how to fix that!

I like it the way it is. More courses are being installed all the time. There is a relaxed feel to the game whether it's a casual round or tournament. The lack of tension associated with the game is what's appealing to me.

I'm obsessed with playing disc golf. I have zero desire to watch it on TV. The quality of the equipment is top notch. My only wish is that the equipment would be easier to obtain.

You and all your little noob buddies can carry the torch for the next 35 years. Good luck! Me, I'm happy with the way things are!

And if you have to result to insults, then it is you sir who are an ass.

Resort to insults? When did I insult you?

Latest posts