• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG in the Winter?

Yeah I love it when I'm coming down to the final few holes in freezing weather and I can no longer grip the disc so every shot is a worm burner. I like playing in the cold even though it's not the best situation for good scores. There's usually only a few other addicts on the course and I covet the solitude. In fact some of my favorite rounds were played when the weather was in the 30s, calm with big ole snow flakes lazily falling from a gray sky.

I can completely understand. Something special about being out on a quiet snowy day. Especially when you are the first out there after a fresh snowfall.

I think there is something great about being on the course alone no matter the time of year. This summer there were times that I would get a round in before work or real early on the weekends and its great. Very peaceful. Of course, same goes for snowy days.

I've already had the great pleasure of playing in snow this year and even though it is a different game it's still fun. It actually makes some courses easier because it moives alot of tree obstacles or you can at least see the hole better if it's hidden normally. Putting gets a little harder as the chains can become slippery as hell if they get icy. Not something i'll be doing everyday anymore but i'll definitely still be discing through the winter

Here in northern west Michigan we get alot of lake-effect powder. Tape a ribbon to the bottom of your disc, you`ll spend less time looking for them. Wrapping ribbon 14"-24" duck taped to the bottom, depending on the snow depth. We played Winter League Dec. to April (Sat. 1:00p teeoff) in snow knee to waist deep. I`ve thrown all kinds of plastic in the winter, never broke one.

expect for it to be not anywhere near the same game you play now. Your movement is restricted, if theres snow, losing a disc is super easy, grip is different, and it's freaking COLD. That being said, it is definitely worth going out. It is always a very casual round and often my friends and I, who normaly don't bring beer on the course, bring out a bottle to warm us up.

Winter DG isn't like DG in the other 3 months of the year, but it helps stratch that itch that builds after you haven't played in a while.

If playing in snow disc will be VERY easy to LOSE. The kind of boots you wear will matter. I wear long john's so I don't have to wear big bulky clothes. I only wear glove on left hand to keep warm and not on "right" throwing hand. When a lot of snow I take two towels. Winter DG is very fun if you like the cold like myself.

Last edited:

Latest posts