• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG just mentioned on my local radio

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
Listening to a morning show in Minneapolis. Started talking about 'frisbee' golf :wall: (minor cringe) And a caller called in to tell a story of how he broke his ankle teeing off then slipping and falling.

It was just random that I heard they were talking about it. I'm just at work and overheard it.
Cool to hear it being more of a 'thing'

But its always talked about like its a childish activity, haha whatever

There's some commercials on the local radio staion in Tahoe that are disc related. It's torture when they come on and i'm at work.

But its always talked about like its a childish activity, haha whatever

For 90% of players (yes that's an entirely made up statistic), it's a very casual hobby and nothing more. I have no problem with it being referred to that way.

Was there anything more to the call-in than he broke his ankle? I mean, who cares?

Paul Allen and Paul Charchian from KFAN did several segments on disc golf last year. We even got Paul C. out to Plymouth Creek to play a round so he would have something to talk about the next time he was on. I even got my first name mentioned on the radio as one of the people leading him around the course.

Unfortunately it never went much further than that. The two of them talked very professionally, respectfully, and generally seemed intrigued by the topic. They even had Timmy Gill on for a whole segment. However, once you got to their Facebook page you would see that both of them got blasted for wanting to try a sport so saturated with drugs and alcohol. Of course most of those posts were said in jest, but they were basically wondering why either Paul would be willing to throw away their respectable careers by this sport.

If you do not know who the two Pauls are, Paul Allen is the voice of the Minnesota Vikings and probably the best, most informed sportscaster you are ever going to come across. He was offered several national positions to broadcast, but he turned them down because calling the Vikings' games is his dream job (as well as being an announcer at Canterberry Downs), and you can tell it by the excitement and passion in his voice. Paul Charchian runs League Safe Dot Com, is constantly on the radio talking football or video games, and I am not sure if anyone knows more about video games or fantasy football them him.

Before the two Pauls, the only person I have ever heard in the Twin Cities market talk about disc golf was Patrick Reusse from KSTP radio. He was asked to do a piece about a proposed course going into Robbinsdale. I do not remember which course he stalked, but his idea of research was to sit in his car for 30 minutes and watch Hole 1. Charlie from GGGT and a few others were invested in making this course happen and put a lot of time and effort into it, and while I am not sure it was his article that killed the deal, it definitely held some sway with the park board.

Before the two Pauls, the only person I have ever heard in the Twin Cities market talk about disc golf was Patrick Reusse from KSTP radio. He was asked to do a piece about a proposed course going into Robbinsdale. I do not remember which course he stalked, but his idea of research was to sit in his car for 30 minutes and watch Hole 1. Charlie from GGGT and a few others were invested in making this course happen and put a lot of time and effort into it, and while I am not sure it was his article that killed the deal, it definitely held some sway with the park board.
Here's the article in question. A perfect example of why misinformation and propaganda should be a crime.

http://www.startribune.com/featuredColumns/44646172.html

Here's the article in question. A perfect example of why misinformation and propaganda should be a crime.

http://www.startribune.com/featuredColumns/44646172.html

Thanks for the link. I do not know how much air time on the radio he dedicated to this as well, but he definitely ruffled a lot of feathers and turned away a lot of disc golf listeners. What is even more disturbing is how much he loves golf.

What gets me is that he has never seen anyone over the age of 25. Obviously there is a statement of what he thinks of people under the age of 25, but apparently he was not looking too hard. Usually when I am out and about, I would almost put the percentage at nearly 50/50 of people under/over 25. Maybe it is just the time of day that I play.

Wow...that guy has issues.

Although after the first couple of times he used "frisbee golf" he switched to "disc golf" and kept it up for the rest of the piece.

I think deep down he just wants someone to teach him how to throw a $15 Innova disc. (I think he should start with DX plastic myself.)

Last edited:
Joes Garage? Didn't that place shut down? Such a shame. I loved the baked potatoe omlette. So good.

By the way it was on KQ this morning around 8am

Latest posts