• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Mecca

Though it's all based on just the collective opinion of DGCR and some fuzzy math and boundaries.

I hear you. Depending on what one considers a good course (i.e. do you include 3.5's? 3.0?, etc), and how far an area to draw your circle around, how many reviews did some of these courses get, and who did the reviews andwhether they know what they're talking about or if their someone loving their local course or hating on another, and whether if they share your disc golf values, and whether the courses are near this or that, etc., ad nauseum, infinitem...

you could end up with something that says Miami, FL is a great disc golf destination...

But that would just be wrong.

Wasn't this thread made recently?

It basically came down to NC, TX, MI, CA being the states that came up constantly.

Austin has something like 32ish courses. And the whole I-35 corridor between Dallas FT-Worth is constant with courses you can pop of the highway and play. I live in the southern suburbs of Atlanta which is totally not DG Mecca.

So Austin FTW

My picks out of the places I've been are Highbridge and Charlotte, with the Twin Cities, Dallas-Ft Worth and the Ludignton MI area in the mix.

As-of November 2012? Perhaps Augusta, Maine.

meccas.jpg

Awesome stuff! Helps out with my "brocation" plans.

Question: One those cities with multiple zip codes listed, is there any overlap in the number of courses or is each line represent a distinct number of courses?

Like Dallas and Charlotte... are those zip codes more than 25 miles apart or are a few courses counted for both rows?

It's in the footnotes, my friend: "- If a city is listed twice, there is likely overlap between them. I list a city more than once if a 2nd ZIP code has more courses but fewer quality courses."

So for instance, I list the 2nd Charlotte ZIP because it has 15 more courses than the first ZIP, at the expense of quality courses. There is certainly overlap between these ZIPs.

Here's the updated list. I resisted posting it here (thus duplicating the other thread), which is why I posted a link to the other thread. But I don't want people here to see the old list and not click into the other thread. Thus, DUPLICATION:
meccas-2013-08-02_zpse6f78d6f.jpg

Same disclaimers as always:
- 5 reviews required for 3.75+ and 4.0+ categories.
- 0 reviews required for total courses.
- I have previously checked several ZIP codes in each metro to find the one with the best numbers. I didn't do that this time -- I just stayed with the same ZIP. If you can find a better ZIP for your metro, let me know.
- Shut up with your private courses. If it's not listed on DGCR, it doesn't count for this thread.
- Searches performed with the 25-mile radius feature. I know it covers more than 25 miles. I don't care to check exactly how many fall within 25.0 miles, as it's just not that important.
- If a city is listed twice, there is likely overlap between them. I list a city more than once if a 2nd ZIP code has more courses but fewer quality courses.

Of the areas that I've played, and it's pretty limited. But Charlotte gets my vote.

A few of you may remember the Hubs thread. Maybe this will help.

If I was pressed to pick a city, I would have to say Charlotte. It's not just the courses and the close proximity of them, but the culture of disc golf definitely adds to the atmosphere.

I will also give a shout out to the Greater Philadelphia area. There are a ton of courses within an hour of me (north of philly) that are extremely high quality and rich with history (Nockamixon, Tyler state park, Sedgley etc.)

If I had to pick one course or compound I would say The Blockhouse (The Grange). I was at the crab feast tournament there last weekend and I must say from the courses to the people that play there, it is definitely what I would call a Mecca of disc golf.

Latest posts