• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG on a ball golf course? We finally got to do it

VictorB

* Ace Member *
Fundraiser event this past weekend - setup a temporary course out at the Columbia Country Club. ~9600', par 71. This was the first time the club has been able to have an event on a ball golf course.

link to the story
http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/a973bef6-80ce-0971-00f9-1b37eff8d807
(that's me hitting the long putt in the video, btw :D )

Anyone else have any stories about playing DG on a ball golf course? I know they do it for the Japan Open, but I want to hear club level stories about it!

Theres' a tournament at the local Fly18 course (Willowbrook Golf Club) called the Byron Big D Doubles. I THINK (could be wrong) that the baskets have been pulled because the course didn't see enough disc golf traffic to care about keeping them in, but there was a yearly doubles tournament there...

FAN-TASTIC!

There's also a course that's been put in on the site of an old closed down ball golf course. The Ponds at Lakeshore. Local leagues/tourneys there. Absolutely AMAZING course if you've got the arm for it. Hole 2 is like 900 gazillion feet... The Am tee is 400 or more from the Pro tee.

Always a good time seeing the ways you have to shape lines there, because the disc golf holes don't go on the same lines as the ball golf ones did. There're a LOT of distance placement shots (you have to be long AND put it in a small area to ensure your next shot isn't insane).

If anyone's in Michigan (specifically the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area), I HIGHLY recommend a round there.

I played a course outside of Melbourne (Australia) that was on a ball golf course. This was probably 4 years ago when I really wasn't any good, but it was my first experience with par 4's and 5's.

I know some KC folks came over to Columbia for this and enjoyed themselves.

We got to throw up a temporary 18 on a 9 hole course for our club finals. It was really a blast and the course owner was really pleased with our event. Playing on a highly manicured course and riding in carts was really great.

CCR club has a temp course in Haslet MI at Meridian Sun ball golf course. There is a tourny there every year. Also at the newly abbandon Waverly Golf Course, CCR held a Rolling Doubles event as well as making it part of the CCR Open.

The Sarasota Skypilots hold a event at a local Country Club course. We just got the OK to put up permanent baskets now. We are very excited about this one. We are raising money for the baskets right now. It will be our 3rd home course. Love it.

played 2 disc golf tournaments this year on a ball golf course. They were both a bunch of fun and I look forward to playing them next year.

4203899330_5f5b6cb852.jpg

4203157207_b5e372e7c0.jpg

4203905028_2f552872eb.jpg

4203167559_7fbf2fcedc.jpg

4203943234_84469f1abe.jpg

4203954732_8c2357681f.jpg

4203964194_8fd0a0b857.jpg

Riding around in the cart was weird. I didn't feel my body was stretched out/warmed up like usually. During the hub city open I ended up getting a 5 on the longest hole 1122 feet. It was during the 2nd round and the made shot was between 100 and 150 feet.

It was almost impossible to convince yourself to go for the upshot on the basket with the 2 guys standing on it. It was such a strange feeling releasing it so high. Me being 5'8'' or 5'9'' it was close to losing a disc in the bottom of the basket. I had to stand the disc up on a edge then flip it up and out.

SkaBob said:
What would Des Reading say about those baskets?! :shock: :lol:

I doubt she'd say anything. IIRC, her gripe with the elevated pin at Worlds was the amount of tree blockage that you could be stuck with depending on where you disc happened to stop.

Anyway, I've played on a couple ball golf courses with mixed results. The first one I played on was a nice manicured course, but it was largely flat and open. It was mainly a lot of big bomber shots, with lots of OB (cart paths, bunkers, greens, etc.). It was kinda cool for what it was, but it wasn't a whole lot of fun to be playing in a tournament setting unless you had a cannon of an arm. For me (and most of the other ams), it was just throw as hard as you can over and over again, hope to land safe, and be humbled by your lack of distance.

The second one I've played is on a funky, not-so-professional golf course (they have a giant inflatable gorilla out front), had tons of elevation and plenty of trees in play. That was a much more enjoyable experience for me, there were still some good bomber holes, but still good golf holes for the average arm. The only gripe I'd have was that some of the baskets were homemade and didn't like to catch that well.

I guess what I'm saying is that discing on a golf course can indeed be awesome, but it's not necessarily a guaranteed thing.

SkaBob said:
Theres' a tournament at the local Fly18 course (Willowbrook Golf Club) called the Byron Big D Doubles. I THINK (could be wrong) that the baskets have been pulled because the course didn't see enough disc golf traffic to care about keeping them in, but there was a yearly doubles tournament there...

FAN-TASTIC!
Actually the people that own Willowbrook own two courses. The guy that supported disc golf was moved to a position at the other course, and the guy that replaced him was (from what I heard) very anti-disc golf. He refused tee times to disc golfers, forced them to tee prior to 8am, etc. And then used the lack of golfers on the course as an excuse to pull it. Damn shame.

There's also a course that's been put in on the site of an old closed down ball golf course. The Ponds at Lakeshore. Local leagues/tourneys there. Absolutely AMAZING course if you've got the arm for it. Hole 2 is like 900 gazillion feet... The Am tee is 400 or more from the Pro tee.

Always a good time seeing the ways you have to shape lines there, because the disc golf holes don't go on the same lines as the ball golf ones did. There're a LOT of distance placement shots (you have to be long AND put it in a small area to ensure your next shot isn't insane).

If anyone's in Michigan (specifically the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area), I HIGHLY recommend a round there.
I love that course. Every hole from the longs, it seems like, sits right in my throw-as-hard-as-I-can golf line wheelhouse.
Smoke said:
CCR club has a temp course in Haslet MI at Meridian Sun ball golf course. There is a tourny there every year. Also at the newly abbandon Waverly Golf Course, CCR held a Rolling Doubles event as well as making it part of the CCR Open.
CCR Open... aka the Mike Henry Open? Here's a bunch of 500 foot shots... oh and here you go Mike, here's your trophy ;)

some call me...tim? said:
SkaBob said:
What would Des Reading say about those baskets?! :shock: :lol:

I doubt she'd say anything. IIRC, her gripe with the elevated pin at Worlds was the amount of tree blockage that you could be stuck with depending on where you disc happened to stop.

Anyway, I've played on a couple ball golf courses with mixed results. The first one I played on was a nice manicured course, but it was largely flat and open. It was mainly a lot of big bomber shots, with lots of OB (cart paths, bunkers, greens, etc.). It was kinda cool for what it was, but it wasn't a whole lot of fun to be playing in a tournament setting unless you had a cannon of an arm. For me (and most of the other ams), it was just throw as hard as you can over and over again, hope to land safe, and be humbled by your lack of distance.

The second one I've played is on a funky, not-so-professional golf course (they have a giant inflatable gorilla out front), had tons of elevation and plenty of trees in play. That was a much more enjoyable experience for me, there were still some good bomber holes, but still good golf holes for the average arm. The only gripe I'd have was that some of the baskets were homemade and didn't like to catch that well.

I guess what I'm saying is that discing on a golf course can indeed be awesome, but it's not necessarily a guaranteed thing.

That hole at highbridge is bogus. Basket in the tree is lame even for casual rounds, let alone worlds. Trust me, I've shot at it a few times.

ChrisWoj said:
Actually the people that own Willowbrook own two courses. The guy that supported disc golf was moved to a position at the other course, and the guy that replaced him was (from what I heard) very anti-disc golf. He refused tee times to disc golfers, forced them to tee prior to 8am, etc. And then used the lack of golfers on the course as an excuse to pull it. Damn shame.

what a douche...nobody complained about him?

ChrisWoj said:
I love that course. Every hole from the longs, it seems like, sits right in my throw-as-hard-as-I-can golf line wheelhouse.

I LOVE that course. I keep looking for a job around a2 so I can get an apartment at the complex there...they're SUPER cheap!

ChrisWoj said:
CCR Open... aka the Mike Henry Open? Here's a bunch of 500 foot shots... oh and here you go Mike, here's your trophy ;)

hahaha Why Woj...you sound positively JEALOUS! :twisted:

SkaBob said:
ChrisWoj said:

what a douche...nobody complained about him?
Not that I heard of. In the end its too late now for Willowbrook :( Byron Big D Doubles this year woulda been a lot of fun. I played it last year with an Am4 friend of mine (well, he was 842 at the time, 920s now I think), we had to play Open... needless to say we got SMASHED and I still had a ton of fun.

ChrisWoj said:

I LOVE that course. I keep looking for a job around a2 so I can get an apartment at the complex there...they're SUPER cheap!
Same here! If I can't get into law school in Charlotte I'd love to try to get in up there so I can move in on that property and golf right outside my door!

ChrisWoj said:

hahaha Why Woj...you sound positively JEALOUS! :twisted:
Jealous I didn't get to play it! LOL. I can't remember why I couldn't make it, but I woulda loved a course like that.

ChrisWoj said:
Not that I heard of. In the end its too late now for Willowbrook :( Byron Big D Doubles this year woulda been a lot of fun. I played it last year with an Am4 friend of mine (well, he was 842 at the time, 920s now I think), we had to play Open... needless to say we got SMASHED and I still had a ton of fun.

heehee the time I played it I wasn't a member. Ziggy and I got to play AM2 :twisted:

SkaBob said:
ChrisWoj said:

heehee the time I played it I wasn't a member. Ziggy and I got to play AM2 :twisted:
My friend coulda been a non-member, but by virtue of me being an Open golfer I wasn't allowed to play down as per PDGA rules. For the next 16 years I'm in that fun boat of players with absolutely NO option as to which division they get to golf with. Not that I'm complaining too much, just sucks for dubs events where I decide to, for fun, golf with a friend thats way way way below the Open skill level.

ChrisWoj said:
My friend coulda been a non-member, but by virtue of me being an Open golfer I wasn't allowed to play down as per PDGA rules

heh...You can probably thank Ziggy and I for that, if the Big D Dubs started requiring open players to play in open.

You're welcome :lol:

Latest posts