• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

Have used Merrell Embark Trail Gloves, worked great but for 175$ a *Durable* minimalist shoe, just didn't hold for more then 3-4 months until their was some serious scraps and tears. Still have the shoe after 2 years but waterproofing is long gone and appearance wise its just ripped to shreds. Still a great workout beater shoe =]

Merrell Mid-height Moabs were my seconds DG shoe last season. Worked well, great waterproofing but once they get wet, it literally takes days to fully dry out before you have any more water proofing. Goretex doesn't hold up well and shaved 1/2 inch hole on the side of the toe from only a couple improper toe drags * my fault 100% but still... the construction faded away infront of my eyes* 100% investment for in my opinion a light yet bulky/clunky shoe. Traction is completely wore off and good luck on a Wet/frozen teepad... You Will Crash Hard

+Which leads me into my newest pair of hopeful DG workhorses+
The Rocky S2V Declination
http://www.rockys2v.com/Product-Details/15558/RE001/Declination_Athletic_Trail_Shoe/

I have never seen anyone post anything about them knowing they are so new and almost un heard of in the DG community. Given that plus my trust in the Rocky brand as a whole after using there boots Hiking and in a professional Kitchen I have full confidence these will have the durability I need... Also an Athletic appearance and feel, Great waterproofing and thats enough for me!

Will give a full review once they arrive but what do you guys think? Decent purchase? Its basically a slip on shoe with no tongue that also has laces for a perfectly snug fit.

Their onsite review said they smelled like cat piss, both him and a friend purchased a pair and had the same problem.:gross:

Ordered these for $55 shipped
salewa-ms-firetail-trail-running-shoes-for-men-in-black-marigold~p~6918v_01~1500.2.jpg

And these for $65
salomon-synapse-cs-trail-shoes-waterproof-for-men-in-winter-green-black-green~p~6579w_01~1500.2.jpg

Sierra had a 35% code with free shipping.

I wouldn't waste a nickel on Salomons but I'm interested in this code you speak of.

Merrell Mid-height Moabs were my seconds DG shoe last season. Worked well, great waterproofing but once they get wet, it literally takes days to fully dry out before you have any more water proofing. Goretex doesn't hold up well and shaved 1/2 inch hole on the side of the toe from only a couple improper toe drags * my fault 100% but still... the construction faded away infront of my eyes* 100% investment for in my opinion a light yet bulky/clunky shoe. Traction is completely wore off and good luck on a Wet/frozen teepad... You Will Crash Hard
When I read stories like these, I feel they're full of as much hyperbole and half-truths as they are fact and have more to do with the footwork of an individual than the construction of a shoe.

I do agree that the waterproofing won't hold up to a full year of use. But a hole forming after a "couple" toe drags? The traction on a Vibram sole "completely" wore off? No traction on a wet teepad? :confused:

Re NF Hedgehog
Great shoe, very comfy, good waterproofing...

But if you are a toe dragger the soft vibram will grate off quickly. I only got about 4mo out of them b4 they wore to the goretex. I only throw forehand ~20% of the time. Adjust mileage accordingly if you throw/drag more often.

You guy are looking in the wrong genre. I looked across the pond at our ball golfing brotheren and decided to give a pair of their shoes a try. I picked up some adidas crossflex 2 spikeless golf shoes and they are awesome. They are sturdy, waterproof, have tons of traction, and are holding up awesome. To top all of that off you can find them on eBay for under $50 to your door!

http://www.budgetgolf.com/Adidas-Cr...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJvD2_3J7bwCFeJF7Aod7lcAcg

6pm.com go there. buy things. they will all be cheaper than your wildest dreams. ... they have bikila LS and other vibram models for 30-50 dollars, shipped. THIRTY FREAKING DOLLARS. i just bought spyridons for 45$.
i know, just like any other deal site, there will be some that are "meh" and maybe it won't be great all the time. but those prices just freaked out this VFF nut.

From a fellow vff nut, thanks for the heads up. Been wanting to try spyridons but budget is tight right now. Was going to just get a pair of new balance for the upcoming season because of price (ksos are about done after multiple seasons). Just ordered some spyridons for what I had set aside for new balances. Hard not to buy a second pair of vffs at those prices.

Pick shoe. Treat with waterproofing, if needed. Before use, apply shoe-goo to wear areas. Repeat as needed.

Last edited:
From a fellow vff nut, thanks for the heads up. Been wanting to try spyridons but budget is tight right now. Was going to just get a pair of new balance for the upcoming season because of price (ksos are about done after multiple seasons). Just ordered some spyridons for what I had set aside for new balances. Hard not to buy a second pair of vffs at those prices.

If you have fat toes the mesh will rip after a couple weekends at the course. Just saying it will happen, went through two pairs of spyridons, second is still usable but only on lush courses. Sticks and dirt is annoying between the toes. Rock block plate is awesome though.

Pick shoe. Treat with waterproofing, if needed. Before use, apply shoe-goo to wear areas. Repeat as needed.

Don't know why I never thought of that. Usually I have a problem with busting seems. I'm trying to find a leather/nubuck one piece design in the forefoot to heel shank with a Vibram sole. My shoes with Vibram soles broke at the fabric(even nu Buck from abrasions and pressure against the hard sole) and never got to wear away the Vibram, there was toe pivot wear but nothing significant. On the contrary my non Vibram sole shoes (keens) wore very quickly at the soles but the upper lasted slightly longer than say my vasques. Gonna give these oboz a run this weekend but they do feel a bit narrow, wearing them around the house now to stretch em out a bit.

Last spring, I played a tourney with some rough terrain and my old shoes just didn't have the traction I needed, so I decided to spring for some nice trail shoes. I had great experience with my Asolo boots over the years, so I decided to try out their shoes.

rPSt4Vv.jpg

I bought a pair of Asolo Mantra. Pros - Comfortable, durable (Vibram soles), and mildly water resistant. Cons - They run narrow. I've never had to buy any shoes in a wider than normal size before, but I would have been more comfortable if I had.

They didn't bother me too much, but on long discing days, it would really start to hurt my pinky toe on my right foot. It has an odd curve to the outside of the shoes which just didn't fit my foot well. To counteract that, I kept the laces near the toes looser than the top. Other than that issue, the shoes performed great. I've had them about nine months and they've been very solid with grip and durability. There are a few small chunks missing from the soles now, but I haven't had any issues with that so far.

US8HWcW.jpg

I recently purchased some Keen Marshal WP. Pros - They are fairly comfortable (support and cushion), have good traction, and lightweight. Cons - Very hot. My feet were cooking even when the temps were <50F. Only worn them for a few rounds and they're already showing signs of wear. I honestly don't think they'll last me for even six months. Also, the toes of the shoes are rounded off, not giving much room for your big and middle toes.

I wear size 12 in everything, but I think I should have gone with a 12. I walked around in them a good bit in the store and they felt great. But, after only a few rounds, they are causing some issues with toes. On my right foot, I think the shoe was pushing on my big toenail and now it is partially black. I might lose the nail. Needless to say, I'm not too happy.

I am going out and seeing if I can find something better suited today.

Last edited:
After tearing through a pair of Moab GTX's in 6 months, and then a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX's in about 4 months, I kind of gave up and bought the cheapest shoes I could find with a Vibram sole and some form of waterproofing. I ended up getting these:

2249226-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

http://www.6pm.com/the-north-face-storm-wp-tnf-black-dark-shadow-grey

Nothing to really complain about for $62. Not nearly as comfortable as the Salomons, and not nearly as all around awesome as the Merrells. But I won't feel quite so bad if I'm shoe shopping again in 3 months.

I'm constantly on the search for the next best dg shoe, and I think I've found it, Merrell Proterra's. I've owned the majority of the top shoes on the market (Merrell, New Balance, Saloman, Keen) and the Proterra's are spectacular. Light, nimble, but rugged where it needs to be, waterproof/Gore-Tex, reasonably priced, couldn't be happier.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30885M/74566/Mens/Proterra-Sport

I'm constantly on the search for the next best dg shoe, and I think I've found it, Merrell Proterra's. I've owned the majority of the top shoes on the market (Merrell, New Balance, Saloman, Keen) and the Proterra's are spectacular. Light, nimble, but rugged where it needs to be, waterproof/Gore-Tex, reasonably priced, couldn't be happier.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30885M/74566/Mens/Proterra-Sport

I like my proterra sports but they are not waterproof. The link you provided clearly stated that. I think these are good shoes, but keep an eye out eye for deals as I paid $50 new for mine.

I like my proterra sports but they are not waterproof. The link you provided clearly stated that. I think these are good shoes, but keep an eye out eye for deals as I paid $50 new for mine.

Oops, I posted the wrong link, here is the Gore-Tex waterproof model....

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...588/Mens/Proterra-Sport-GORE-TEX?dimensions=0

For me, protection from dewy morning grass is the extent of my need for waterproof shoes, I don't venture into any water. These Proterra's do a perfect job unlike some of my other dg shoes.

First of all, Discdoh gave great feedback as the theadfather. Then it started to turn into what people bought. I'd love to hear some new shoe reviews. Pros and Cons, comfort and durability. Also, a specific model is much more helpful than "Merrells."

My Merrell Road Gloves (written on the size tag) are not ideal for DG. Admittedly, they were cheap, not built for off road use, and I'm tired of trying to make them work. I'd really like to hear descriptive reviews like Discdoh. That's the kind of useful information anyone looking to buy DG-friendly shoes wants to have. Thx!

I've noticed on this and other shoe threads how people love to talk price, and say "not bad for the money." Cheap should scare you. Materials and craftsmanship are sacrificed for a lower price. If I were forced to make shoes in jail, I doubt I'd have enough incentive to make it well. I'll save you the politics, but things are outsourced because of consumers' obsession with the price tag. The most expensive option isn't always the best one, but the best option is rarely the cheapest. Are they great or just okay and cheap? Let others determine value for themselves.

I would love more votes for their favorite DG shoes. Here's a list of shoes that folks have mentioned. Please provide feedback on them or any others you're enjoying.

Adidas Crossflex 2 (golf shoes), Terrex Fast X, Terrex Swift R GTX
Cushe Baja
Garmont Zenith
Keen Delaveaga, Marshall, Siskiyou, Turani CNX, Zion
La Sportiva FC Eco 2.0 GTX
Lowa Renegade
Merrell Moab
New Balance Minimus, 411, 911, 989, 1521
North Face Hedgehog GTX 3
Oboz Arete, Firebrand, Sawtooth, Dark Shadow, Yellowstone
Salewa Alpine, Firetail?
Saucony Xodus 4.0 GTX
Vasque Juxt
Vivobarefoot "trail shoe", "hiker"

That's just from 2 threads. There's soo many. Oboz, Keen and North Face kept coming up. I'm intrigued by Salewa, La Sportiva, and Cushe.
I'm also curious about experiences with specialty shoes, like spikeless golf shoes and shot putting/discus shoes.
I want this thread to help EVERYONE interested in DG shoes, so please don't withhold.

I like the Keen Targhee 2 Mid Boots. They are very waterproof and are all around tanks for my feet. When I get out on the course, I like being able to stomp around without worrying about a puddle or mud. These boots create that comfort level for me so I don't have to tip toe around. They will probably get really hot this summer, but I will just cycle a new pair of socks after every round. If I get in a rhythm of buying a new pair once a year, thats $120 I don't mind spending. My only concern is that I throw a lot of FH and end up tearing through the toes of a lot of shoes. The toes on these seem really tough so time will tell.

After tearing through a pair of Moab GTX's in 6 months, and then a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX's in about 4 months, I kind of gave up and bought the cheapest shoes I could find with a Vibram sole and some form of waterproofing. I ended up getting these:

2249226-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

http://www.6pm.com/the-north-face-storm-wp-tnf-black-dark-shadow-grey

Nothing to really complain about for $62. Not nearly as comfortable as the Salomons, and not nearly as all around awesome as the Merrells. But I won't feel quite so bad if I'm shoe shopping again in 3 months.

I ordered these 1/2 size up and they still crushed my forefoot. Way too narrow. Saw them priced at $65 on Zappos. Had to send them back.

Latest posts