• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Superstitions

Haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the 'don't take my putter from the basket'? I fall prey to this one, I swear if anyone else hands me my putter from the basket I KNOW I will screw up the next hole if not the rest of my game.

P.S. In the words of Eli Manning....."I'm not Superstitious, but I am a Littlestitious"

I havn't seen anyone with this one yet. If you return the favor on the next hole does it make you feel like they might screw up next and even things out?

the one i really hate (i haven't read the whole thread either) is when someone picks up your gimme and tosses it in for you...i absolutely HATE that...

I like to keep my discs in order in my bag first by speed, then by stability, the putter in it's pocket, and the mini in it's pocket. Usually whan I'm having a bad round I have noticed that my disc are always out of order at the end of the round.

This initially led me to become superstitious and believe that I throw better when my discs are in their proper slot so I started making sure I slow down and put all discs back where they belong when I'm done using them. I still noticed that if I had a bad round my discs would be out of order afterwards.

I then realized that if I rush putting the discs back then I am probably also rushing my shots. Rushing leads to my bad rounds not the out of order discs.

...but I still find myself making sure all the discs stay in perfect order.

the one i really hate (i haven't read the whole thread either) is when someone picks up your gimme and tosses it in for you...i absolutely HATE that...

Wow! I've been playing for 8 months or so, and I had no idea that grabbing gimmes or makes for others in your group was bad etiquette. In fact, I've always made it a point to try and do that when I can, so as to be polite--especially if their walk to the basket to fetch would take them away from the next tee.

So here's a question: Do you say anything to the folks who do that? I've always preferred my playing partners to educate me on the subtle etiquettes of the sport, as I really have no idea what they all are.

Anyway, from now on I'll try to remember to leave other people's discs alone, or at least ask if they want me to grab it before doing so.

And an aside: Is there an "Etiquette" thread somewhere?

Wow! I've been playing for 8 months or so, and I had no idea that grabbing gimmes or makes for others in your group was bad etiquette. In fact, I've always made it a point to try and do that when I can, so as to be polite--especially if their walk to the basket to fetch would take them away from the next tee.

So here's a question: Do you say anything to the folks who do that? I've always preferred my playing partners to educate me on the subtle etiquettes of the sport, as I really have no idea what they all are.

Anyway, from now on I'll try to remember to leave other people's discs alone, or at least ask if they want me to grab it before doing so.

And an aside: Is there an "Etiquette" thread somewhere?

I think it really depends on the group of folks your playing with. With the current group that I play weekend rounds with, we toss gimmies back to each other all the time. Generally, if someone really wants to sink that 3-5' putt, they will let the others know. Of course its very informal and few of us play tournaments. I can understand why people who play a lot of tournaments might not want to do this for fear of this habbit surfacing while thay are competing.

I think it really depends on the group of folks your playing with. With the current group that I play weekend rounds with, we toss gimmies back to each other all the time. Generally, if someone really wants to sink that 3-5' putt, they will let the others know. Of course its very informal and few of us play tournaments. I can understand why people who play a lot of tournaments might not want to do this for fear of this habbit surfacing while thay are competing.

Ditto. Depends on the group. Some groups -- especially friends of yours -- then totally play casual and pickup/give people the gimmes.

I am totally not superstitious. I have no rituals I perform. I just go out and play.

i dont care if someone taps me in,in fact i think thats good etiquette it helps speed up the game especialy when there are people in your group still putting but i dont like when someone just picks it up and throws it to you maybe thats a superstition but if it dosnt touch chains you didnt really finish that hole and yes i will walk all the way back and slap chains if you didnt do it. Even if i quit and take a stroke limit i still walk over and slap it

i should clarify...if it is 2 feet away, and with friends, i don't mind if they pick it up and toss it to me...but when it's ~10 feet or more, and i really want the satisfaction of making the shot myself, there is sometimes where an individual we play with will pick it up and shoot it in himself...for some reason it just really bugs me...i've told them that i want to shoot my putts myself so i can improve but they continue to do it...

on a calm day on flat ground if a friend throws it in for me at ten feet thats a show of respect if its someone you dont know real good it might seem that they are showing you up. i do agree though at that distance i would like to shoot my own putt most of the time . so its probally best not to pick up someones disc unless you know its cool unless its right under the basket if someone has a problem with that their probally just a douch

I was wondering how many of you had weird rules or superstitions when playing Disc Golf.

Let me give you an example.

We have a rule that no one is allowed to say anything until the disc has stopped flying. The rule originated from a simple superstition that as soon as someone said anything about the flight of a disc (wow, great throw..) or even made an awe struck sound, the disc would immediately change it's flight path and crash. Usually into a tree branch the size of a pinky finger. The frequency of these seemingly random occurrences was astounding. So we made up the rule.

Anyone have a similar superstition?

that does seem to happen to us a lot, doesnt it? mine is to never change putters during a round. eventually you will be able to put again,

I am totally not superstitious. I have no rituals I perform. I just go out and play.

I wonder if people are superstitious of those of us who aren't superstitious? OK did that just sounds like a crazy? ;):p

on a calm day on flat ground if a friend throws it in for me at ten feet thats a show of respect if its someone you dont know real good it might seem that they are showing you up. i do agree though at that distance i would like to shoot my own putt most of the time . so its probally best not to pick up someones disc unless you know its cool unless its right under the basket if someone has a problem with that their probally just a douch

Probably I am just a douche, but here's how I see it... the game is defined by throwing the disc from the tee into the basket. Even if the disc is parked in the shadow of the basket, you have not actually completed the hole until the disc is in the basket.

I understand casual play, and I don't get bent out of shape about someone picking up my lie and tossing the disc back to me. But when it happens, I'll go back to my approximate lie and put the disc into the basket. It's just how the game is played.

This might sound compulsive, but I'm looking for consistency. I believe you find a consistent game by playing all rounds the same, whether it's for fun with the gang or tournament play. If you always play by the rules, you don't have to mind shift when it's a "real" game. The less you have to shift your thinking, the better you will play. It's still a lot of fun when you play by the rules.

Silly rules

We have silly Rules:
1. If you get a "Dirty Ace" or "Black Ace" as some people call it. Everyone buys you Mexican food and beer for the next round.
2. Two holes @ our home course (Morley Field) have little drain pipes that are hard to get in. If you make it in those, the throw doesn't count on your score (Free Shot).
3. Finally if you land your drive on the Steep roof (Coated in Sheet metal) of the Pro Shop on hole 14 and it doesnt fall to the ground. The throw once again doesn't count.
Silly rules but they make it fun.

Superstition: If I'm on a birdie run or an underpar round I won't say my score out loud. I inevitably bogie the next hole.

i dont care if someone taps me in,in fact i think thats good etiquette it helps speed up the game especialy when there are people in your group still putting but i dont like when someone just picks it up and throws it to you maybe thats a superstition but if it dosnt touch chains you didnt really finish that hole and yes i will walk all the way back and slap chains if you didnt do it. Even if i quit and take a stroke limit i still walk over and slap it

dont be douche read the whole thread

tree love

After you hit a tree you must hug it or it will bring you 7 years bad luck.

lol i dont know about everytime you hit it, but i have a friend who hugs a tree if he gets a lucky deflection off of it. he jokes around and says if you show the trees some love they show it back

QUOTE=tomschillin;3911]my one superstition in DG is that my putter has to touch the chains on every hole that I use it... (shortened by jimb) i have to walk over to the basket and hit chains with it...otherwise, how is the disc going to know it's done with that hole?...but that's just me....

Technically, a hole is completed when the disc comes to rest in the basket or chains... so just tapping them doesn't actually complete the hole. :D Yes, I am obsessive-compulsive. I'm not superstitious. Before I deem a hole completed, even on a gimme sitting under the basket, I must lay the disc in the basket and totally remove my hand from the disc. And I mainly play by myself. OUCH!!!! :eek:

Ditto. There's a good reason that you don't open an umbrella inside... you'll put someone's eye out if you're not careful. And you don't walk under a ladder because something might fall on your head or you might knock whatever's on the ladder down. That's not superstition. That's being sensible. Again, Mr. OCD here. :rolleyes:

I wonder if people are superstitious of those of us who aren't superstitious? OK did that just sounds like a crazy?

See if anyone replies to this thread. If they don't either they're superstious about non-superstitious people... or my thread bored them, literally, to death!!! :rolleyes:

And please pardon the excessive use of smiley faces. I just can't stop! Actually, the site wouldn't even let me use all of them that I wanted to. (Frown.)

Just one more thing... old school 80s metal... pick your poison from this link.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i+ain't+superstitious+megadeth&search_type=&aq=f

QUOTE=tomschillin;3911]

Yes, I am obsessive-compulsive. I'm not superstitious. Before I deem a hole completed, even on a gimme sitting under the basket, I must lay the disc in the basket and totally remove my hand from the disc. And I mainly play by myself. OUCH!!!! :eek:

you should try being more lazy thats how i balance out my OCD and playing by yourself aint all bad at least you wont pick up other peoples quirks :)

Latest posts