• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Superstitions

Asvetic

Bogey Member
I was wondering how many of you had weird rules or superstitions when playing Disc Golf.

Let me give you an example.

We have a rule that no one is allowed to say anything until the disc has stopped flying. The rule originated from a simple superstition that as soon as someone said anything about the flight of a disc (wow, great throw..) or even made an awe struck sound, the disc would immediately change it's flight path and crash. Usually into a tree branch the size of a pinky finger. The frequency of these seemingly random occurrences was astounding. So we made up the rule.

Anyone have a similar superstition?

Not really a superstition, but a rule we added. If your disc lands on another person's disc, you owe them a beer. Didn't happen too often, and in the basket is excluded, obviously, but it added a little bit of fun to everyone's approach shots.

I was wondering how many of you had weird rules or superstitions when playing Disc Golf.

Let me give you an example.

We have a rule that no one is allowed to say anything until the disc has stopped flying. The rule originated from a simple superstition that as soon as someone said anything about the flight of a disc (wow, great throw..) or even made an awe struck sound, the disc would immediately change it's flight path and crash. Usually into a tree branch the size of a pinky finger. The frequency of these seemingly random occurrences was astounding. So we made up the rule.

Anyone have a similar superstition?

Me and my buddies were just talking about this the other day. We need to make the same rule you guys do because we don't have that rule and most the time someone says something it is positive and in praise of a shot, and in no more than a few seconds it hits a tree and goes way off course haha. It is really strange how that happens. I totally agree with you that it happens way more often than it should.

Some people I play with will give you a dollar if you hit metal on a tee shot and 5 dollars if you get an ace.

51 Club

Some people I play with will give you a dollar if you hit metal on a tee shot and 5 dollars if you get an ace.
Commonly referred to as "51 Club". I.e $5 for ace and $1 for metal.

Ha thats so funny a few of my friends (coolkid and some others) were just talking about that. i have tried to stop but i can't help myself sometimes haha but i think i'm going to try harder to keep quiet and hope the rest of my group follows

nice-ing

We refer to that as "nice-ing" a disc. I.e. "Nice shot".

Sometimes if you "nice" a disc really well you can get it to go all the way into the water. :eek:

We refer to that as "nice-ing" a disc. I.e. "Nice shot".

Sometimes if you "nice" a disc really well you can get it to go all the way into the water. :eek:

I wonder if this is keeping PDG from becoming a world-wide spectator sport. :D

Not to step on what I am sure will be a great thread with some cool rules & superstitions, but I have to be honest.

Luck, Superstitions, and Fate are things I am hard pressed to ever believe in. I need to believe that what you do, is, what you get. So, anytime I catch consciously myself doing something repetitive, just because it worked once, I almost instantly break that trend and I have never really noticed anything change.

It is an interesting observation though that someone with my belief system on this subject will find himself unconsciously doing things like this every so often. Maybe our brains are hard wired that way for a reason. :confused: :cool:

I don't believe in luck or superstition either, but I have to admit that I have one in DG. I won't putt until everyone else has taken their discs out of the basket. Somehow it distracts me. Or the superstition is that if a disc is already in the basket then it will keep my disc out. (How? By a force field? I guess that's why it's irrational.) But I don't think I can break the habit either.

I don't believe in luck or superstition either, but I have to admit that I have one in DG. I won't putt until everyone else has taken their discs out of the basket. Somehow it distracts me. Or the superstition is that if a disc is already in the basket then it will keep my disc out. (How? By a force field? I guess that's why it's irrational.) But I don't think I can break the habit either.

I don't think that's a bad superstition at all. And the rational behind it makes complete sense. Course it must be a pain to practice putting with only one disc. ;) :D

I am not superstitious but I do believe in luck. I mean you throw a disc down a fairway from 200 ft and it hits the 1 tree that is out there. If the throw is 1 foot either way-great throw but now not so good. If you tried to hit that tree from 200 you probably wouldn't. Or you throw a shot that hits a tree and sometimes it kicks it into deep brush and sometimes it kicks it into the middle of the fairway. Luck is a part of all sports. But I believe you can't influence your luck with superstition, luck will hopefully balance out over time. Overall if you throw the disc well you will play well. I don't have any particular things that I do when I play. I do believe I play better when I play at a good pace so I get in a rhythm.

. So, anytime I catch consciously myself doing something repetitive, just because it worked once, I almost instantly break that trend and I have never really noticed anything change.

Yeah, I tend to agree with the whole "superstition" thing, like wearing the same pair of socks or not washing a shirt, but there are "routines" that I do on a tee pad or before I putt that tend to focus me or calm me down (practice my run up, aim with my arm, etc). They aren't superstitions, exactly, but ways I get in the mindset for what I am doing. I compare it to a basketball player and a free throw. The routine is comfortable, which usually leads to a better shot for them, throw for me.

Call me silly...ok on second that, let's not. :rolleyes: Really bad joke, sorry. I took up this discussion with a baseball fanatic I know. I was going to see just how far he would allow these things to exist in his life. But what I really learned after the discussion, was a very real factor involving superstitions.

When it comes to sports, superstitions are really just self pep-talks, or confidence boosters. A person having lost confidence at one point or another, may have what "they think" is a fluke occurrence of greatness. They examine the event and pick something out that happened prior to this event that was different and decide that must be what caused it. Why they don't think, hey, I finally overcame my lack of confidence is beyond me.

However, following the superstition will boost their confidence and we all know that is the key to success more times than not all by itself. So i have decided they have a real important purpose even if they don't make sense to me.

Although, they have a downfall. If you cannot make you superstition happen, you lose all hope and I would hate to be a slave to that.

Anyway, that is my thoughts...so far.

my one superstition in DG is that my putter has to touch the chains on every hole that I use it...so if the putt is a gimmie and my buddy picks the disc up for me and tosses it to me, i have to walk over to the basket and hit chains with it...otherwise, how is the disc going to know it's done with that hole?...but that's just me....

if the putter doesn't come out on a particular hole, meaning I made an awesome shot on the approach with something other than the putter, no big deal...but if it's my putter, it's got to touch the chains, regardless...

my one superstition in DG is that my putter has to touch the chains on every hole that I use it...so if the putt is a gimmie and my buddy picks the disc up for me and tosses it to me, i have to walk over to the basket and hit chains with it...otherwise, how is the disc going to know it's done with that hole?...but that's just me....

if the putter doesn't come out on a particular hole, meaning I made an awesome shot on the approach with something other than the putter, no big deal...but if it's my putter, it's got to touch the chains, regardless...

I love that. Plus, I mean we live for the sound of the "CHING!!!!!"

Latest posts