• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG the fastest growing sport?

T.Hizzle

Eagle Member
I heard many people claim that DG is the fastest growing sport. However, I find it tough to believe when I see US Lacrosse gained 650,000 members last year comapred to the pdga's 4,000 members. College Lacrosse is played on ESPN constantly in the spring and early summer. DG is not on ESPN or other sports networks. Chains has yet to make it to a theatre and Lacrosse has a national movie out now.

I'd say the vast majority of people that pick up DG do not join the PDGA. To play lacrosse properly you pretty much have to join an organized team so it's easy to track that sport's growth. Disc golf you can play alone or with some friends with no need to join an organization so the number of players is more difficult to track. I can say that when I mention disc golf to people that more of them have at least heard of the sport these days where a few years ago I found myself explaining what it was.

I'd say the vast majority of people that pick up DG do not join the PDGA. To play lacrosse properly you pretty much have to join an organized team so it's easy to track that sport's growth. Disc golf you can play alone or with some friends with no need to join an organization so the number of players is more difficult to track. I can say that when I mention disc golf to people that more of them have at least heard of the sport these days where a few years ago I found myself explaining what it was.

^^ This. Think about how many "fly under the radar" types you've played with and that is a contributing factor as to why our numbers are so nebulous.

I wonder what came first, Hockey or Lacrosse...I know the mayans had their own version of it...

Any ways, Tim's analysis is spot on. People don't play pick up games of lacrosse. If you could compare it to basketball, or tennis maybe you would have something. Those can be played with just 1 other person randomly on a court. Have the growth of sales of tennis balls and rackets or basketballs and nets been out pacing the growth of sales of discs. You don't see a new tennis ball company popping up every year like you see with disc manufacturers.

another point would be the number of courses in existance and the rate at which new ones are created.

just looking at the pdga numbers is only part of the equation. there's so much more than that when trying to figure which is the "fastest growing sport".

They have better marketing with even a city named for the sport...

They actually spend less % of expenses in marketing that pDGA does...

2010 pDGA marketing expenses $81,244 (8.6% of total expenses)

2011 US LAX marketing expenses $535,306 (3.4% of total expenses).

Can some one post the course growth % year over year starting say...10 years ago?

LAX operating expenses are probably much higher though.

So perhaps the PDGA should model their advertising initiative after US LAX as it appears to be (a) more efficient and (b) working.

Only because I love you:
2001 10%
2002 9%
2003 10%
2004 14%
2005 15%
2006 11%
2007 14%
2008 9%
2009 12%
2010 6%
2011 6%

cite: http://www.pdga.com/demographics

dggrowthrate.jpg

As far as courses added to this site, it has been around 550 per year (give or take) since 2008. This year 313 have been added so far.

that's great. nice high numbers.

looks like these are the current top states for courses (unless i missed one):
Texas - 270 courses
Cali - 212
Wisc - 198
Mich - 174
Ohio - 149

i would imagine the decline in course growth rate has to due with a lot of local governments being pretty broke?

Apparently, manufacturers like DGA are selling more baskets each year for private courses, most unlisted, than public courses. So just calculating growth using directory figures alone is misleading and likely a key reason for the drop in growth percentage.

that's great. nice high numbers.

looks like these are the current top states for courses (unless i missed one):
Texas - 270 courses
Cali - 212
Wisc - 198
Mich - 174
Ohio - 149
A few more ahead of Ohio:
Minnesota - 186
Iowa - 177
Illinois - 170