• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Aces 2020

Lifetime Ace #14, 2nd of 2020

Hit a blind ace today!

This hole doesn't look hard when you walk up to it, but it actually can punish misfires pretty badly: 220' long hole with no trees, but a paved soapbox derby track running left of, but offset from parallel (maybe 20-30 deg, or the 1:00/7:00 position - this crummy ass tee sign is incorrect) to the fairway, with a sharp downward ridge occurring exactly parallel to the derby track, and running between tee and basket. So, you can't see the basket from the tee, and the ridge can make it really tricky to accurately judge where and how hard to throw it. Play it too safe and you'll land well short, still up above the ridge and have a long downhill putt, backhand it too far left and the track will tear up your disc, and send you careening farther (too far and you're going down another steep downhill), and even if you put a teeshot about where you think you should, it's still really easy to land deceptively long and right on a forehand.
HfqFwee.jpg

SS2tBuJ.jpg

N1nIe1z.jpg

kDXM1B6.jpg

Anyways though, I let a forehand fly, heard the ching (a split second later than I expected to - I initially thought this was just someone else holing out somewhere else on the course!), and saw my trusty firebird (ace #6 with it!) sitting nestled in the chains!

Bighorn Ridge
Hole 17 - 125'(really steep downhill with very little to stop a disc)
KC Color Glow Aviar

I almost never run this basket opting instead for an upside down putter that slides to the pin. This was my strategy last night as well but I got a little extra juice on it and about 12' before the basket it skipped a rock right up into the chains and dropped. Even if it wasn't intentional it's my first skip ace and I'll take it.

Lot of Wisconsin boys getting aces this week. I just hit my 3rd of the year and 26th all time. I got Hole 1 at Hiestand Park Long tee to Blue basket with a Star Destroyer. Udisc has it at 338 feet, but it is very uphill and probably plays more like 375ish. Threw a nice mild hyzer and the right to left crosswind just slammed it over and into the basket. The basket is at the top of the hill and slightly around the corner.

f89b2953.jpg

I don't think I posted my other aces this year, but they are not as impressive.
Both at the Watertown course, I got hole 19 on 3/27 from the short pad and hole 21 on 3/17 from its only pad.

Last edited:
Tricky little ace tonight to shoot a score of 18 for the nine hole Amelia course. Believe it or not, this 200 footer has grown in quite a bit since this picture was taken several years ago. And a note for those who downplay 'short' aces: try this one! :)
59bb4450.jpg

Got this last month, Monday October 5th at hole 8, Upper Salford, 140'. My first ace after more than 4 years playing :):|

Today, I sunk a 186ft for my first eagle at Hole 6 in Ft Washington Park, my farthest into-the-basket throw so far. No photos though, didn't think of that till later.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 24
I've actually thrown a LOT of aces this year, but most of the time I'm playing what folks would call "putter courses". Even so, It's fun to throw them. Playing the Amelia course tonight with my buddy, I got hole 5 on the first nine hole loop, and hit hole 8 on the second. ...but the second loop was accompanied by eight deuces, matching the rumored course best score of 17! :p

Twice as nice

I put my Thanksgiving break to good use by hitting two aces last week.

#17 at Pinson Bicentennial Park, just north of Birmingham, Ala. - about 175 feet
#3 at Johnston Woods Retreat Center, just northeast of Chattanooga, Tenn. - about 100 feet (but uphill)

Attachments

• aces.jpg
    aces.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 13