• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGI Group - Pro Agent Representation

From Paul's Instagram...

paul_mcbeth I'm so happy to announce that I will be an athlete for the DGI group. The first professional agent representation firm exclusively for Disc Golf. I'm excited to be a part of the team with players like @sockibomb13 @frisbeenate @bigjermdg @teamphilo @greggbarsby @1uli @eagle_wmcm @ppierce29190 and @catrina44184 . These players won't be the only part of DGI, DGI will be representing @jomezpro @gbo_live and @discgolfprotour . 2018 has already started off with a bang. Who's ready for some Disc Golf!?!

found his name on the DGI website

Let me bask in my snooping glory!

In all seriousness though, i wonder what effect this will have on pro DG. less handshake deals and more legitimate contracts? more sponsorships by having a (seemingly) legit marketing company selling DG to companies outside the sport? Will be interesting to see.

I feel like it would be big news if was an actual sports agent. This just seems like a dude with previous failing businesses that latched on to disc golf. I guess time will tell, but again not big news to me because this dude isn't even an actual sports agent.

I hope this isn't like one of those "boutique" book publishers. You know the ones where you pay them to publish your book...

If we're completely wrong about this let us know guys. We know several of you lurk here...

I know we crack jokes around here like its a sport sometimes but this is different. I feel kinda bad not knowing the whole story here but its just a bit out of left field. The names involved would lead you to think its legitimate but also make you pause. Because if its not legitimate, then it will affect the very top of our sport. Like I said in my earlier post, I really do hope this is on the up and up and I am definitely eager to hear more about it.:thmbup::popcorn:

Last edited:
If I was a major disc golf manufacturer with sponsored players, I'd be a bit concerned by this. I'm guessing the players are looking to redefine what sponsorship means. Guessing they want more than just round plastic things.

I know we crack jokes around here like its a sport sometimes but this is different. I feel kinda bad not knowing the whole story here but its just a bit out of left field. The names involved would lead you to think its legitimate but also make you pause. Because if its not legitimate, then it will affect the very top of our sport. Like I said in my earlier post, I really do hope this is on the up and up and I am definitely eager to hear more about it.:thmbup::popcorn:

This is my reaction as well, 100%. I think this is exactly the kind of move, in theory, that the top pros needed to make. But I wish they had made it with an actual agent. I'm a local (live in Durham, work in Raleigh). I hadn't heard of Hassell, but I don't know *everyone* in the DG scene. His Facebook posts lead me to believe he is an active disc golfer, and he does have marketing experience. But the failed radio stuff is worrisome.

Unless we get a proper definition of what this fella "represents" this is all speculation. He's representing their interest. Interest in what? Par talk? PDGA rules? Sponsorships? Velvet Elvis paintings? Pretty sure it's safe to assume the most likely interest would have to be money. But as we all know this isn't exactly the NBA/NFL/whatever so it's not like there's a lot of money at stake for a players union or the like to wrangle over. And because of that fact, I will bet this has zero net effect on the sport except to those that are paying for this guys services - whatever that means. Here's hoping this guy doesn't rip 'em off.

And digging deeper...

SPOTTY RECORDS

The name of Sam Hassell does not appear on any FEC reports from Winning Our Future, but Reuters discovered that he received the largest chunk of money from the Super PAC. Payments totaling more than $8.1 million were made to his two companies. He created Marketel Media Inc five months before WOF was formed and Intelimarc Inc just nine days before.

Although Hassell is the sole stakeholder in Intelimarc, his name is not on its incorporation documents. Two local attorneys are cited instead. Because December was so hectic, said Hassell, he had his brother's law firm do the work. WOF paid Intelimarc $1.2 million for Internet and email advertising, according to FEC records.

In recent years, Hassell sold radio ads for Salem Radio Network, a national network of stations that feature Christian music and conservative talk show hosts. He left in May 2011 to become chief executive officer of one of its clients, the Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC), a for-profit company that offers members discounts on various goods and services. When Hassell incorporated Marketel in July, AMAC was its only client. WOF is now a second.

WOF bought $1.9 million in radio air time, according to Smart Media Group, a political advertising company in Alexandria, Virginia, that monitors political ads on TV, radio and cable outlets. According to its reports to the FEC, WOF paid Marketel at least $2.9 million solely for radio advertising.

That leaves $1 million - a third of the disbursements - that didn't show up as buys.

Hassell couldn't explain the gap or say how much his companies profited. He did say they took the "industry standard" of something less than 15 percent in commissions for the placing of radio ads.

Explanations for the gap could include Smart Media's missing some air-time purchases by Winning Our Future. Some of the expenditures listed in the Super PAC's reports to the FEC might have included money spent on something else, such as producing the ads. (Winning Our Future reported separate outlays for ad production.)

From the FEC records alone, however, it's hard to know where much of the $8.1 million paid to Hassell's two new companies ended up.[/i]

The dude can't be that bad...I mean, of all the players who are supposedly on this "team," Paul is the only one who is politically conservative (and that's just a hunch based on observation). I feel like All the other guys and gal would run for the hills if they knew he was this hyper conservative dude LinkedIn says he is.

The dude can't be that bad...I mean, of all the players who are supposedly on this "team," Paul is the only one who is politically conservative (and that's just a hunch based on observation). I feel like All the other guys and gal would run for the hills if they knew he was this hyper conservative dude LinkedIn says he is.

He is absolutely "this hyper conservative dude LinkedIn says he is." It's his own page, created by him.

So, Paul announced he is part of the brand new DGI Group. Also repping the firm will be Ricky, Nate, Jerm, Philo, Gregg B, Uli, Eagle, Paige and Cat.

Let's here your theories on this. Who owns it? Who's the brainpower?

Also mentioned that Jomez, GBO Live & DGPT will be part of the firm as well.

Aren't you friends with some of these people?
You ask, and then tell us.

I seriously doubt all those players don't know his political leanings. If they don't that's just either stupid on their part or politics are irrelevant to this endeavor. Especially since he has a LinkedIn page spelling it all out. So that tells me they've obviously hired him for other reasons. My guess is, he hit them all up at some private conference in a rented room at

Political inclinations aside. Do pro disc golfers need an agent? How could they benefit from such? Is there upside in a middle man taking a cut on contracts signed with sponsors? Is there enough money coming into the pockets of each of these players to justify giving some away? As suggested before, without more information from Holly, I am left with questions, not an opinion.

Political inclinations aside. Do pro disc golfers need an agent? How could they benefit from such? Is there upside in a middle man taking a cut on contracts signed with sponsors? Is there enough money coming into the pockets of each of these players to justify giving some away? As suggested before, without more information from Holly, I am left with questions, not an opinion.

Now, this is complete speculation, but this is kinda what I think could happen.

DGI Group could handle all sponsorship negotiations, they could have a team of people registering their players for tournaments. Possibly scheduling for clinics, travel and lodging.

They could pull their collective weight and say we're not playing this tournament or demand for something more than prize money to show up at a tournament. For instance, we know that if Ricky, Paul and Big Jerm sign up for a tournament it will be good for the surrounding businesses cause of the number of people they'll draw to the area.