• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Discraft's Great Lakes Open July 23-25

One thing I noticed watching some of the Jomez coverage: way more spectators down the fairways and really putting them selves in the line of fire,not all of whom were necessarily aware that shots were coming their way.

If you're there to watch, you need to notice when a disc is headed for you, and get out of the way. SMFH.
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that

I think mandos/OB need to be in play to make you stay in one fairway, at least roughly. Didnt there use to be another hole on this course where it was common to leak out into another holes fairway and it was all good, a feasible play to even do it on purpose? At least you should be able to see into the incorrect fairway youre throwing into, lest you bomb a hyzer on another player going about their round.

They Simon proofed that one hole at Jonesboro few years back, even between rounds.

I'd wager there will be a mando of some sorts going up for 15 next year. I suspect possibly 17 as well to keep shots from going over the road. I like Nate's idea to keep the Toboggan as OB free and natural as possible as per tradition. Inserting a few Mandos achieves both objectives.

I think they need to tinker with 18 for FPO, perhaps a shorter pad?

Last edited:
The last 2 years, we have played the week or so after USDGC. Best chance for reasonable weather. Was 90 or so last year, got one day in the mid 70s this year. Have played 6 rounds total, all during the week, never much traffic on the course. Gives us time to find our errant throws too...

You gotta get out there on a weekday, that is crucial. The weekends are basically packed to the gills all day long.

And by weekday, I mean weekday with an a.m. tee off. The only problems we used to have with earlier tee off would be that those rubber teepads would be all slick with morning dew, but now with cement pads that problem is fixed.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that
If you've seen the tourney when McBeth overtook Barsby in the 2017 European Open (Simon & Doss were also on the card), the fairways were completely lined with people. At the time, folks were amazed by how many people were spectating. But to the original point, yes, absolutely, a spectator needs to be standing there with their head on a swivel.

Post edit - how about a longer basket for FPO only, turn 18 into a par 4 for them. Way easier to mess with a 2nd pin that you could tinker with year to year than to pour a permanent tee pad.

Post edit - how about a longer basket for FPO only, turn 18 into a par 4 for them. Way easier to mess with a 2nd pin that you could tinker with year to year than to pour a permanent tee pad.

Shorter tee really isn't feasible because of the hill.

Not sure how much they can extend the pin before the asphalt driveway comes into play, but if your goal is to create more scoring separation for FPO, the asphalt OB might help.

I think mandos on 15 &17 will happen before longer pin for FPO on 18.

Hole 1, 5, 10 and 18 stands out on the FPO side.

Paige had a birdy on 1. . the only one
Ragna parked hole 5 for the only birdy. .. HOW did she park THAT hole?! Edit , Vanessa had a birdy to

10 and 18 did not have a single birdy. .

Ragna parked hole 5 for the only birdy. .. HOW did she park THAT hole?! Edit , Vanessa had a birdy to

Hole 5 is reachable and is downhill. It's definitely reachable by a good portion of the FPO field. Hole 1 is similar but plays a bit longer. I'd leave them as is. Sure there is no birdies on 1, but there is a lot of bogies and scoring separation (see Paiges blow up triple Bogey last round). I'd make the case for calling 1 a soft FPO par 4 rather than changing the hole.

Hole 10, yes to adjustment. I think the move there is a shorter pin placement, perhaps short of the trees, right, there in that area they mow just over the shule.

18 is a tricky one. It's such a great area to finish because it's next to the parking lot and TD central. I think having a long pin placement for FPO up close to the asphalt road as Bogey mentioned is the move. I like the idea of having a long pin placement for the ladies there and turning it into a par 4. It's a great MPO Hole in its original placement as is.

Remember, just making a hole shorter isn't the best way to achieve scoring separation for FPO. Sometimes lengthening the hole can make more sense too.

There is also the idea that keeping old hole 14 for FPO only and having them finish on 17 and skipping 18 altogether, but you lose the magic of finishing on the 18th green which is really the best spot in terms of gallery viewers in the whole park.

Last edited:
I'd wager there will be a mando of some sorts going up for 15 next year. I suspect possibly 17 as well to keep shots from going over the road. I like Nate's idea to keep the Toboggan as OB free and natural as possible as per tradition. Inserting a few Mandos achieves both objectives.

The giant tree near the road on 17 would be a very natural mando to keep players from throwing up the road. I would say at least 75% of players threw right of the tree (up the road).

Throwing big to the right on 17, toward the road, is not a new play. Pros, with arms like they have, can always get a good look at the green from up by the road. Saw KJUSA do it last year.

So it's not a good hole if none of the FPO field gets a birdie? I'm now a Masters age am and I put a drive at the edge of circle 1 on hole 10 (missed the putt). I think Paige and possibly a few others could possibly birdie #10 and even 18. Both holes #10 and 18 have never been changed from the original Toboggan layout. They both have decent scoring separation as they can both be bogied or worse fairly easily.

Looking at course stats, #1, #5, #10, and #11 were close to 50/50 bogey/par. I'd say that is a good hole.

Hole #18 was 76% par, so that isn't a very compelling hole. Hole #12 was the worst, though. It was 89% par.

Hey Im the president of the "lets do away with stupid gratuitous mandos and Obs put there only for score separation international" but still think they have a place in directing the play generally (in which case they ought to be off line enough so that they are not in play per se) and preventing stupid stuff. so you can launch a disc and think of a new route, go ahead. but if you think of a new route that goes via another fairway? GTFO

I just thought it was super funny that the guy who designed the Lake Eureka course was talking about not wanting artificial OB at Toboggan.

PS I don't remember the old holes that were scrapped but the new ones seemed pretty cool. Never played the course but it seems like the consensus is that the changes were for the better?

PS I don't remember the old holes that were scrapped but the new ones seemed pretty cool. Never played the course but it seems like the consensus is that the changes were for the better?

They are an improvement. Old hole #5 was a RHBH turnover or RHFH up a slight rise with trees in the way. Most of the time was throw and hope you made it through the trees for a putt. Old hole #14 was a downhill hyzer with a protected basket. You could throw a perfect shot and get stopped by a tree and have no putt.

I think mandos/OB need to be in play to make you stay in one fairway, at least roughly. Didnt there use to be another hole on this course where it was common to leak out into another holes fairway and it was all good

Hole3. Paul did that the year he shot the -18. That's the hole he almost skipped it in from the wrong fairway.

18 is a tricky one. It's such a great area to finish because it's next to the parking lot and TD central. I think having a long pin placement for FPO up close to the asphalt road as Bogey mentioned is the move. I like the idea of having a long pin placement for the ladies there and turning it into a par 4. It's a great MPO Hole in its original placement as is.

Remember, just making a hole shorter isn't the best way to achieve scoring separation for FPO. Sometimes lengthening the hole can make more sense too.

There is also the idea that keeping old hole 14 for FPO only and having them finish on 17 and skipping 18 altogether, but you lose the magic of finishing on the 18th green which is really the best spot in terms of gallery viewers in the whole park.

Not sure there's enough room to lengthen 18 into a legit par 4. Assume tee shots land no further up the fairway... it would just make upshots longer, but the circle would still be quite reachable in 2 shots.

Maybe there's room to move it further back and to the right, beyond the cul de sac? To be honest, I've never really payed attention to what's over there. :eek:

I'd leave #1 as is at Par 3. It's birdieable for the longer FPO throwers. Plus the OB left and schule on the right create ample bogey opportunities.

Several of us were talking about the course at league today. AM2 players. I think everyone loved the changes and we agreed, that even for experienced players without pro power, the course is still very playable. 5 is a tough laser down a tunnel, but elite power is not needed downhill. 6 is a tough shot, but smart placement golf still leaves the hole reachable, with some luck (for me). The opening of the chute for 15, or the FPO pad is also reachable with a solid AM drive. This probably does not address the tournament or DGPT needs or intent, but it is a plus for the several month of casual play it provides.

Latest posts