• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

Very interesting idea. I know they often get some money from TDs. I wonder if an event could add a $5 fee to see how it would impact sign ups etc.?

I didn't quite word that they I meant it to read... Actually, I meant that if Jomez was doing this as a "tour", that they could draw in some sponsors for added cash to attract more top players.

What will be interesting is what the manufacturers will do. They may hire these guys to come and film some of the bigger events they sponsor they aren't part of the tours. Like Throw Down the Mountain for instance...

They also might get some work in Europe for events that want English versions of post pro. Its a good thing this came out now so they groups have plenty of time to figure out what they're gonna do...

Actually, as a promoter, he's done pretty darned well. But as a video guy, relatively poorly.
DGPT has a big banner on their page saying 2019 is the $500k season. 2018 alone the Ledgestone Open raised $100k+ for payout. That's 1 event out of 11 making 22% of the projected DGPT payout. Kind of tough to say that's the result of the promoter instead of the tournament directors.

You guys remember this, right?

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/05/13/controversial-american-disc-golf-tour-prepares-espn3/

Also, this quote sounds eerily like someone...

"We're going to be doing a couple things that have never been done on live broadcasts on any sport anywhere," Boucher said. "It's never been done. I'm not saying [what they are], you're going to have to watch. That's the teaser. The way we are going to pull this off – there's a couple things being done, we've spoken to ESPN, it has never been done before. They're excited to see if we pull it off. We're excited about it, and we are hoping it comes off as good as it is in our head."

Essentially, the move signals to me that he is betting that at least 1 of these 2 things are true:

1) The DGPT brand is stronger than the media brands, and has a more loyal following.

I'd say he is betting on that, not now, but in the future. One thing about Dodgy Dodge I do like, he seems to think long term gain and not so much short term.

I do try to catch the final round of the big events. I wish I had more time to invest, but an hour or two per week of watching DG is all I have. Post-pro and commentary drive my views. I did watch the Jomez Open - even though I have no idea who those guys are, and Sexton wasn't doing the commentary. I watched the Champs vs the Chumps back in the day - again, decent commentary, and why not watch McBeth? I would consider subscribing to those two content providers. Others, I don't like. I might "suffer" through rounds, but I'll scrub ahead, or watch clean-up putts, when the outcome is decided abandon the video.

It will be interesting to see which business model wins out. I'm kind of pulling for Jomez and CCDG. Live doesn't make that much sense in the Netflix age. I did happen to catch the last event, but watching live disc golf is super painful after being able to view 2 30 minute videos. I had to stop.

Not going to claim that I have any knowledge of any of the backstory, but this thread has been an interesting read and I appreciate some of the content folks putting their two cents in.

When were talking DGPT live coverage don't discount the UDisc live coverage which is a complete leaderboard with visuals on the lead card. That is a very seductive combination. I rarely have time but but UDisc live coverage calls to me every time

Last edited:
Now DGPT is trying to consolidate their video package under their own roof. Why?

To save money, have more control, have more exclusive content, better branding, etc. Plus if he sells the tour to a large company in the near future, it would certainly be alot easier if everything is under one roof. Smart move on his part not to put his name in any of the branding.

To save money, have more control, have more exclusive content, better branding, etc. Plus if he sells the tour to a large company in the near future, it would certainly be alot easier if everything is under one roof. Smart move on his part not to put his name in any of the branding.
I'm sure there is a long line of companies looking to get a piece of that marked up SiliPint and Knock-off HydroFlask action that the DGPT is pulling in.

Actually the big Paul McBeth news is that he's signing an exclusive right to film contract with the mighty Steve Dodge. That's right, if you want to see McBeth, you have to pony up $59.99 for PPV. It'll be totally be worth it though, b/c Dodge is making Paul wear a body camera for live streaming.

Also, if anybody needs someone to run their mouth over some disc golf footage, I can be available. :|

Will sales of ledgestone discs be down this year because people are upset over the media policy?

Not for me, Swirly GLO ESP Mantis, ESP Cyclone, ESP Bangers (although I'll probably get a couple of MJ's when the drop on Black Friday).

The "elephants" still in the shadows are the TDs and their teams who make little to nothing to losing money and time hosting these tour events. It's only a matter of time where TDs and clubs won't want to take the time and raise the added cash for these big pro tour events without getting more compensation versus running big amateur only events like BG where the financial model is more sustainable.

Yep, altruism will only get things so far but without money coming in from outside the game altruism is all we've got. To be a DGPT or NT event a TD needs to raise enough cash to purchase baskets and signs for a full 18 hole course. Then all that money leaves town in the pockets of a few traveling players some of whom say nice things about the event and some of whom don't.

The "elephants" still in the shadows are the TDs and their teams who make little to nothing to losing money and time hosting these tour events. It's only a matter of time where TDs and clubs won't want to take the time and raise the added cash for these big pro tour events without getting more compensation versus running big amateur only events like BG where the financial model is more sustainable.

I'd say this is a big reason you haven't seen a tour stop in Charlotte NC for the Pros.

Latest posts