• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

Has anyone heard any info on what type of BBQ sauce Steve Dodge plans on using for the tents at DGPT events? I know the media end has been sketchy, but I'm wondering what these courtesy tents are going to look like.

Jeppson's Malört based would be my guess.

Stop perpetuating this lie.

I was physically in the room at Smugglers Notch, DGPT Finals '16, having the conversation with Terry that started all of this insanity. I was the one who called the PDGA to ask. I was the one who then called Innova and Jussi.

There was never an offer for the PDGA to pay for anything. When Terry said that on his podcast, he misspoke. We talked about it afterwards in private and hashed it out.

The PDGA said they would be interested in a discussion, and Smashboxx said they would theoretically go because their calendar was free that week. That was the extent of it. The parties talked it out (USDGC, DGWT, PDGA) at some point after that (I was not a part of that discussion), and decided that for a multitude of reasons it was a better move to pass.

I advocated to make it happen, but the deal didn't come together. Simple as that.

For 2 years now you have insisted on pushing a false narrative that you have 0 first-hand knowledge of, and you've taken multiple opportunities to take shots at Jussi, despite my attempts to educate you on what happened.

You are completely within your right to be disappointed in the decision to not livestream that event, but it is your integrity that should be in question if anybody's, because you unabashedly and knowingly purport completely false information to be true.

Since I was the person that inadvertently started that firestorm by trying to have a conversation with a friend of mine whom I was hoping to get a gig, let me be the one to end it. You're wrong, and you need to be quiet.
I really appreciate your candor in this post. Stating the facts is a way better argument than the personal attacks of the past. :clap:

Place here in town had the Malort Wings Challenge.

Malort based sauce on 6 wings, followed by a shot of Malort.

I have no idea what malort even tastes like. I just know it's notoriously awful. One of these days I'm gonna have a bottle shipped down to me so I can pass it around and have people think even less of me. :|

I have no idea what malort even tastes like. I just know it's notoriously awful. One of these days I'm gonna have a bottle shipped down to me so I can pass it around and have people think even less of me. :|

Do your rockets carry a payload? If so ...

I always like to tell the Story of Rocky Mountain Championships. A tourney on two amazing courses (RIP) in Montana. The first year I went there were 40 open spots. Next year it filled up in 8 hours, and some touring pros showed up. I went again. Then it filled up in 8 minutes, and more touring pros showed up

I totally was planning on playing that after seeing the coverage. Is the tourney gone or just the courses?

I totally was planning on playing that after seeing the coverage. Is the tourney gone or just the courses?

Both :(

I know Ron is trying to find another place for a course, but he won't settle for anything less than amazing.

There is also the chance the new owner will be more open to disc golf this coming summer. I heard he wanted a year to get familiar with the property. Fingers crossed, but not super hopeful.

All who are preparing to watch the VPO final round - there were a couple guys with signs following the lead card around so they could stand in the background of Jomez's camera angles. They had written things like "Steve Dodge sucks" and similar sentiments on them so they would be broadcast to the 92+K subscribers.

Low class IMO.
For one, you have no idea what exactly Steve is going to do. We may all be surprised (but likely not).
Two, I'm sure the players and TD don't appreciate you making their tournament about your opinion of DGPT.
Three, come up with catchier slogans

So here is what I posted on DGPT Facebook page...let me know if I was off base...

OK...here's what I don't want to hear when the official announcement is made...but I think that I might hear...something similar to this...

"We talked to Jomez and offered him either to be part of our team or to cover the lower cards but we could not come up with an agreement...we appreciate all that they (CCDG, Jomez, Smashboxx) have done for the sport and wish them only the best"...

That would be completely disingenuous for two reasons...

1. It is not respect to have a "hostile takeover", which I think is the best description of what is going to happen, of the people who (respect given) along with you have made the DGPT successful...to basically go for the money, things that will make sponsors happy...and leave others who have done just as much to impact on the tour in the dust...that is not wishing them the best, it is stepping on their neck and saying "be thankful that you are alive"...

Honestly, you wouldn't want to work for them any more than they want to work for you...it is their business as much as it is your tour...

2. I'm afraid that the announcement will include phrases like "this is what needs to happen to forward the sport" (talk to DGWT about that)...or "we strive to have the best media coverage ever", if so, why not use the best (not my opinion, everyone's opinion)...this is a lie to make it happen for sponsors...or to save money...

Please don't include these type of phrases as they are completely false but try to put on a good face...

Love the events, but this is a bad decision and money grab that at some point this week will be announced and justified with a bunch of crap...just my guess...

Tell me I'm wrong...

My gut says they'll react as you predicted.

That said - I gotta keep hammering this point, this is not the same as the DGWT. SpinTV was the number 1 channel in subscribers and views in 2015, and it wasn't really close tbh. The DGWT and SpinTV "agreed" months in advance of the DGWT launch. It was never a "use and cut them out" scenario, it was one team under one banner on the biggest platform in the sport.

I'm sorry to belabor that everyone, but we can't let history be re-written and fold these things in as one. They're very different circumstances, and if there's any questions on those differences I'll elaborate, but I'll shut up about it for now.

My gut says they'll react as you predicted.

That said - I gotta keep hammering this point, this is not the same as the DGWT. SpinTV was the number 1 channel in subscribers and views in 2015, and it wasn't really close tbh. The DGWT and SpinTV "agreed" months in advance of the DGWT launch. It was never a "use and cut them out" scenario, it was one team under one banner on the biggest platform in the sport.

I'm sorry to belabor that everyone, but we can't let history be re-written and fold these things in as one. They're very different circumstances, and if there's any questions on those differences I'll elaborate, but I'll shut up about it for now.

I definitely see this as a much different scenario than the DGWT launch and to me it looks like DGPT is trying to move towards a more DGWT-ish model, where most if not all content comes out under the DGPT banner (I think we agree on that?).

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this: weren't DGWT and SpinTV both under the Innova/Discmania umbrella of companies and therefore corporate partners (or associates) of a sort before DGWT launched?

[Now on to the rant...]

I'm trying to get a handle on how this all went down and what it means for the future of events that are on or interested in being on the DGPT. There are lots of moving parts between the DGPT, the media companies, the tournaments/TDs, the players and the sponsors.

As a TD of a 2019 A-tier tournament I like the idea of the tournament having more ownership/control of the media content created from my event. I would like to be able to tell/sell prospective event sponsors that their company name will be prominently featured on video content that will get XX thousand of views. Will that happen under the new DGPT model and did it happen in the past with Jomez/CCDG videos? I don't know.

As the father of a touring pro, I am all in favor of growing the number of opportunities my favorite pro has to earn more prize money *and* get more views on videos so he can enhance his marketability. I have a dog in that fight. I think the establishment/growth of the DGPT and it's coordination with the NT Series has helped that. And I agree that the quality coverage provided by Smashboxxtv, Jomez and CCDG has been integral to that process. It's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" situation in my mind, but I could be persuaded.

As a sponsored disc golfer/promoter (I won't kid myself that I'm a sponsored "athlete") I want to see my sponsor get the most out of their investments in tournaments, tours, video channels, because I want the companies to thrive. I want them to be able to continue to support me and what I do.

As a player for over 40 years and a self-identified "steward" of the sport I want to see the sport grow and prosper, both at the pro level and the amateur level. I love seeing more people enjoying the sport I have played my entire adult life, whether they are playing in organized events, playing casually or watching videos of other players. The success of the pro game isn't the end all/be all but it is part of growing the sport.

Also, I know personally and have met or corresponded with several of the key players here and my son knows all of them rather well, so I care about them all as human beings with families, bills to pay and dreams they are chasing. To quote the late Rodney King, I wish "we could all just get along" and things could continue as they had but as has been mentioned earlier here, this is business, and not everyone gets what they want in business decisions.

So please continue the conversation - reading the comments of those who are involved in disc golf media is very helpful to my understanding of what is in the process of happening. I haven't been in contact with any of the principles yet personally, but I will be contacting a few that I know in order to get a better handle on where my events and efforts fit best.

The developments of the media are interesting. We very quickly went from a sport that was really happy to have these people show up and film events to actually paying for some of the best groups to show up. Now mark my words, we won't be far from the events asking for money from the crews for the rights to film.

If we get to the point where events begin to charge for coverage teams, the TD and sponsors will need to rethink their models. Because once you being charging the crews to show up, you basically LOSE the right to demand who THEIR sponsors are. It gets really tough for an event to say, "Hey pay us to be here, AND you have to play these commercials and NOT these." Once that becomes the case, TDs like Rizbee will have a much more difficult time securing either sponsors or media.

I also understand it from a sponsor point of view. You don't want an event you are sponsoring to have a competing company's logo all over the coverage.

This is going to cause headaches for a few years. Until someone finds a way to break the mold.

Last edited:
If we get to the point where events begin to charge for coverage teams, the TD and sponsors will need to rethink their models. Because once you being charging the crews to show up, you basically LOSE the right to demand who THEIR sponsors are. It gets really tough for an event to say, "Hey pay us to be here, AND you have to play these commercials and NOT these." Once that becomes the case, TDs like Rizbee will have a much more difficult time securing either sponsors or media.

I also understand it from a sponsor point of view. You don't want an event you are sponsoring to have a competing company's logo all over the coverage.

Yes, this. I put a lot of work into creating my big event of the year. I would like to see it get covered on video because I am proud of the event and the course and I would like others to see what a great course we have so they might come play it in the future. It's like the neighborhood party analogy that someone aptly used earlier...this is the party I throw for my disc golf friends.

If I have to pay for someone to come cover it, I need ways to raise that money. If I can tell sponsors they will get airtime on the video coverage, that helps me raise the money. But if the media team is already making enough off of their coverage to cover expenses, salary and some profit do I still need to be paying them? Haven't I done enough by creating the event for them to monetize?

I have no idea what the economics of video coverage of a disc golf tournament are. I have no idea how much the media teams make from YouTube, merch sales, ads in the videos, etc. and I have no idea what their costs are, so I am totally puzzled about whether they should be thanking me for the opportunity to film so they can make big $$...or if I should be busting my butt to raise sponsor dollars so they can scrape by financially as they chase their dream.

For me, that's one of the things that makes this hard for me to wrap my head around.

Perhaps we see media companies with exclusive manufacturer sponsorships.

That would dictate which tournaments they can cover.

Or maybe that wouldn't work.

This past season we had Jomez underwritten to some extent by Innova, CCDG by MVP. Did that cause any problems? I have heard that some sponsors/events were unhappy having competing sponsors' ads featured on coverage of a sponsors titled event. I believe that caused some issues a few years back at the Memorial (presented by Discraft) when Smashboxxtv was underwritten by Legacy (please Jonny, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think there are enough media companies with enough coverage capacity to pair up with all of the manufacturers, are there? Who does the coverage for Discraft or DD or Legacy? There's got to be some flexibility that allows for sponsors/tournaments that don't have a media group to get coverage for their events and for emerging media groups to somehow get access to events.

I have no idea what the economics of video coverage of a disc golf tournament are. I have no idea how much the media teams make from YouTube, merch sales, ads in the videos, etc. and I have no idea what their costs are, so I am totally puzzled about whether they should be thanking me for the opportunity to film so they can make big $$...or if I should be busting my butt to raise sponsor dollars so they can scrape by financially as they chase their dream.

For me, that's one of the things that makes this hard for me to wrap my head around.

Yes. This is what frustrates me about the pro scene in general. All the financials are private. We have no idea how to evaluate Paul's Discraft deal, or Steve's media plan, or Prodigy's disruption of sponsorships, or any of it. I wouldn't tell either, I guess, but I wish I could consume DGPT off-season like the NBA.

It has to be one way or the other, right? Either the crew pays you and runs their own commercials or you pay them and they run yours. Either model seems fine.

Didn't this happen with Murder Mike? It seems like he was doing general DG coverage and then got "picked up" by Prodigy to cover their players.

"Prodigy Disc" still has a YouTube channel but I have no idea if this is still Murder Mike or not.

Or I could be absolutely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!!