• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Idlewild Open driven by Innova Discs & The Nati

If the pros want to throw 500 down, they should move the event to Lincoln Ridge next year.

I actually wouldn't mind if they changed the format to two rounds at Idlewild and one at Mt. Airy.

Much rather see how they conquer (or struggle with) courses like Idlewild. :thmbup:

Agreed. I love the WR Jackson and Maple Hill coverage for that reason. I thought we have so many discs with different flights because we're supposed to be navigating through the trees.

I actually wouldn't mind if they changed the format to two rounds at Idlewild and one at Mt. Airy.

The old Airy layout (that started by the first lot) would be fun to watch. I miss having old 18 as a finishing hole (yes, I know I don't have to start by the pro shop).

Last edited:
The old Airy layout (that started by the first lot) would be fun to watch. I miss having old 18 as a finishing hole (yes, I know I don't have to start by the pro shop).

I've only ever played the current layout, which hole used to be 18?

I guess I'll have to see video to understand why Idlewild crushed the FPO field. I'm going to assume that it's a tough course, even in good conditions.

I played it a few years ago. there are several holes that crushed my spirit. In general par is doable, but I remember one hole in particular, uphill tightly wooded dogleg hole. It destroyed me.

They were also dealing less than ideal conditions and tournament pressure.

There is a pretty big argument going on the local FB page about the Ad wall they putt on no5. I can see both sides' point. On one hand, it did help players out of position have an easier upshot by just rolling a FH into it. Negating some of the purpose behind the design of that hole. That being, having to either play to the green or make a layup as close as you can without going in the creek. On the other, advertising is needed to keep these things going, and that was a great use of those walls for that purpose. They were definitely given lots of airtime.

I think the had the right idea but the wrong location. They should have put some of those along the creek on 17...

hated it.

I've only ever played the current layout, which hole used to be 18?

I think it's now hole 13. It's the big (for RHBH) turnover with the pin tucked back and under a low canopy. It finishes right next to that parking area right after you make the final turn that eventually winds back to the pro shop.

I think the had the right idea but the wrong location. They should have put some of those along the creek on 17...

100% agree. That's the only hole on the course I'd consider a bad hole. Putting up those sponsor walls on the front sides of the creek would make that much more fair.

Must be all those rounds I have in there then. I never realized that being over par really mattered. Guess I better give up the game then! :D

That wasn't as much the point as the spread between top 1st place and 9th place players was 40 strokes different.

I think what it comes down to in Woods courses is that you can have a seemingly good throw turn out badly. Although the good players will still typically rise to the top and minimize that collateral damage.

That wasn't as much the point as the spread between top 1st place and 9th place players was 40 strokes different.

That sort of comes with the territory in FPO, no? Just look at the ratings spread...976 to 828. 13 of the the 19 were sub-925. A big difference from 1st to 9th would be expected.

976 was the highest rating. 917 was the 9th highest. On that course, at ~6 points a throw, the difference between Pierce and Panis or Finley (both at 917) should be about 10 throws per round if they all shoot their rating. Over three rounds, that's a 30 throw spread. Now factor in the conditions and the course itself being more punitive to lower skill players than higher skill players and of course, players having hot rounds or bad rounds, that the gap ended up being 40 makes sense.

Put that same field of women on a more appropriate course for their general skill level...say something in the 6000-6500 foot range with an SSA of 52-53 and the expected gap between Pierce and Panis/Finley shrinks to 6-7 per round. And with more appropriate challenges and opportunities to gain throws (rather than just avoid losing them), maybe a hot round or two puts those ladies into contention. As it was, Finley did play above her rating and finished 4th, but still well behind Pierce and Hokom.

Paige Pierce's thoughts on Idlewild...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BletdmAFiHX/?taken-by=ppierce29190

ppierce29190 I. Love. This. Course. Idlewild is by far one of the most challenging tracks we play on throughout the season, and it truly tests every aspect of your game. To shoot a hot round you are thrilled and to shoot a bad round, well, that is completely understandable. Every tee shot, every green, so much precision is required, this is how I feel disc golf should be! Man, I love being back in the woods where I can throw my convicts and deputies!!! I am hoping for better weather tomorrow so the course can shine as bright in reality as it does in my mind. 📷: @alyssavanlanenimages
#BeDynamic

I played it a few years ago. there are several holes that crushed my spirit. In general par is doable, but I remember one hole in particular, uphill tightly wooded dogleg hole. It destroyed me.

That's original 14 long. The sad thing is it's basically two 225' straight throws to the dogleg, an approach to the pin, and a putt for a relatively simple par. There's no reason it should be brutal, but it is a killer. That first gap...

Just want to say i love this kind of disc golf. The course was amazing. This is the kind of course that makes disc golf shine.
It really shows off the pro skills in a way that puts you in your place. Most local pros i feel believe if they played more, they could compete with the top guys.....NOPE... They are on another level.
Just wish more of the top 10 guys made it here.
A major NT event should be heald on this course.
There was only one hole that let the players relax. The rest was beautiful brutality.

Steady Ed maybe? I remember the playoff was from somebody off the chase or even third card but cant remember if Ricky was originally from the lead card or not.

Nope just checked, it was Paul that came from behind but Ricky won it.

I don't think you will ever see all of the top guys here unless there's nothing else on the schedule, or you raise the prize by a lot.

Latest posts