• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Idlewild Open driven by Innova Discs & The Nati

Well... it looks like there will be a reprieve from the heat wave next weekend but they may have to dodge some rain...

Ricky and Cat are still signed up for "the Open" in Sweden AND Idewild. . .which one will they play?

The only real difference between normal everyday play and Open setup is the OB marking and the elevated baskets the DGPT adds. Just remember, all creeks are OB regardless of water and the island greens up against the steep hillside will have an OB line. The long open hole is OB off the fairway. The layout is kind of confusing since the renumbered the holes. 1-3, 7-9, 11-17, 19-22 and 24.

So does this mean there is the possibility of controversial judgement calls of what is in creek or not?

They paint the OB lines very clearly. Not really sure why you would think there would be controversy?...

https://www.dgpt.com/uploads/6/5/1/8/65181337/caddie_book_2018.pdf

Caddy book is out. A few changes I noticed...

Hole 4 is now a par3. -I like this. Makes an great risk reward par3 instead of a boring 2layup par4.

Hole 8 is a par5 -I like the change but it wouldn't have upset me if they hadn't done it.

Hole 13 The double mando is not in effect. -You have to go thru the Y-gap to have a good shot anyway. I always thought it was a good mando because it adds a bit of pressure to a straight forward midrange for these pros. But since they left it a par3 i agree with not using it.

Hole 17 is a par4 -Not really sure how I feel about this one.

Last edited:
I disagree with the change to 17. I suspect all the pros will try to crash the green now. Stays dry, eagle putt, goes in the creek, birdie putt. They made that hole out to be way harder than it was. Hard birdie yes, but easy 3 if you play for it. I think a lot of the pros are still in the mindset that if a hole can't be birdied the par should be raised. Pars shouldn't be a bad thing. Better to be trending away form -16 rounds anyway.

Other changes I agree with.

Paul looked like he was significantly bothered in round 3 of the Konopiste by that groin injury, any word if he is backing out of this one? I was planning on driving up to watch on saturday. But then again, its also supposed to thunderstorm friday and saturday... :(

FPO Fan Vote https://www.facebook.com/DiscGolfProTour/posts/1791398464285160
Catrina Allen
Jessica Weese
Ellen Widboom
Madison Walker
Kona Panis

MPO Fan Vote https://www.facebook.com/DiscGolfProTour/posts/1791462544278752
Jeremy Koling
Grady Shue
Colten Montgomery
Austin Hannum
Nate Perkins
Peter McBride
James Proctor
A. J. Risley
Zach Melton
Zackeriath Johnson

MPO 1: Live Coverage
1. James Conrad (Previous Event Champion)
2. Paul McBeth (Tour Points Leader, 2017 Event Runner-Up)
3. Gary Costa (Event Choice)
4. Fan Vote Winner

MPO 2: Edited Coverage
1. Chris Dickerson (3rd Place Finisher Last Year)
2. Garrett Gurthie (5th in Tour Points)
3. Ben Clark (Event Choice)
4. Fan Vote Second Place

MPO 3: Edited Coverage
1. Paul Ulibarri (4th Place Finisher Last Year)
2. Drew Gibson (6th in Tour Points)
3. Dave Cox (Event Choice)
4. Fan Vote Third Place

FPO 1: Edited Coverage
1. Paige Pierce (Previous Event Champion)
2. Sarah Hokom (Tour Points Leader)
3. Rebecca Cox (Event Choice)
4. Fan Vote Winner

Well judging from these lists, I'm thinking Ricky isn't playing...

I disagree with the change to 17. I suspect all the pros will try to crash the green now. Stays dry, eagle putt, goes in the creek, birdie putt. They made that hole out to be way harder than it was. Hard birdie yes, but easy 3 if you play for it. I think a lot of the pros are still in the mindset that if a hole can't be birdied the par should be raised. Pars shouldn't be a bad thing. Better to be trending away form -16 rounds anyway.

Other changes I agree with.

I really don't think par changes how these players approach a hole at all. Crashing the green there results in a 2 if it's clean and a 4 if it's OB. Whether you call those two scores eagle/par or birdie/bogey, the number is still the same either way. The aggressive players are going after the two no matter what you call it.

The problem with that hole, imo, is that the only "safe" play is to go for the green. When you are on the tee, there isn't a place you can say, "I'm gonna throw it right there, then pitch up and take my par3." The only true line that hole has, is to throw a shot down the creek on the left side. Anywhere else and there is a high likelihood that you're gonna hit one of the randomly spaced trees and kick OB.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like now. I haven't been out there myself since last fall. Supposedly, there were gonna cut a few trees out of the fairway but since they switched it to a par4, I don't think they did.

hopefully MJ works his way onto one of those lead MPO cards! Commentary would be great one of these days, love it when new pros go in the booth to mic up.

Last edited:

Latest posts