• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Idlewild Open driven by Innova Discs & The Nati

The live coverage was extremely compelling. When lead card caught up to Paul's card on the course and they kept going back and forth. Picture in picture many times, that was fantastic! Really saw something of what live disc golf may be in the future.

Great job guys!

(I swear some of the people in the disc golf community are going to wake up in heaven and immediately start complaining about the color of the clouds.)

The live coverage was extremely compelling. When lead card caught up to Paul's card on the course and they kept going back and forth. Picture in picture many times, that was fantastic! Really saw something of what live disc golf may be in the future.

Great job guys!

(I swear some of the people in the disc golf community are going to wake up in heaven and immediately start complaining about the color of the clouds.)

Thanks. It was a fun round.

Fwiw...imop...I think a standard should be set that in live coverage, after the players complete a hole, the card's scores are shown and at the start of every hole before any of them tee off, they should show the top 10 (or more) scores. It's a bit frustrating to not know the overall scores going into a hole.

Overall excellent coverage. Really enjoyed the live rounds!

Fun to see Holly play. . and interesting to see Holly throw a Roadrunner when Paige throws a Defender.

Players like Holly and Kona made me try the Roadrunner and for a +45y Am the Roadrunner is a great straight and long disc

great coverage yesterday! action packed! This may be my favorite course on tour to watch the pro's play - crazy when the hot round was -10 (when compared to other courses they play).

hindsight is 20:20 of course - with being one down going into (or was it tied) 15 and bad drive/kick into the deep stuff - would you have re-teed in that position? Or do you view a re-tee on 15 no better than having to kick out up for the fairway? I'm leaning towards the re-tee option for 3.

Last edited:
great coverage yesterday! action packed! This may be my favorite course on tour to watch the pro's play - crazy when the hot round was -10 (when compared to other courses they play).

hindsight is 20:20 of course - with being one down going into (or was it tied) 15 and bad drive/kick into the deep stuff - would you have re-teed in that position? Or do you view a re-tee on 15 no better than having to kick out up for the fairway? I'm leaning towards the re-tee option for 3.

I don't know how bad his first lie was(I can guess:sick:) maybe he just tried to do too much with the first out shot? The problem with reteeing is, if he hits the other side of that same tree and kicks to the right, its even worse than the left side.

Hole 18 at Idlewild is so fun to watch when top pros have something to play for.
The course looked like it was manicured perfectly.

Fwiw...imop...I think a standard should be set that in live coverage, after the players complete a hole, the card's scores are shown and at the start of every hole before any of them tee off, they should show the top 10 (or more) scores. It's a bit frustrating to not know the overall scores going into a hole.

Overall excellent coverage. Really enjoyed the live rounds!

If you notice at the bottom of the screen, we almost always show the card scores when the players finish a hole. I really like that Gary O (the graphics guy) does that as much as he does. But, I don't think I can get behind showing the full scoreboard before every hole. We tend to use that as "filler" when the action slows down. But we try to make sure it is shown at least once every 3 holes or so.

I do agree, that our coverage can be much more compelling if we could add a 3rd camera for the 2nd card. Have 2 on the first card and 1 on the second card (like GBO did). The problem that we run into is that we DO actually need time for commercials. I know some people hate that we show them, but they are a necessity to afford to pay for the live coverage.

Currently the format is: Hole Preview with Dixon - Tee shots - 1 min of commercials - Approach/Putts - repeat.

Great job guys!

I only watched about 20 minutes (actually covering the FPO final round, right before the MPO tee-off) yesterday, but... I can get behind this.

Can't believe Risley is on commentary again.

I really think he has potential but would need to be the color guy alongside a solid standard announcer that keeps things on track. He's obviously very bright and has some potential to be humorous and entertaining, but he has just been overdoing it a bit (or a lot). I'm curious how the Sexton-Risley combo would work. The problem is disc golf still doesn't quite have the real announcer to make things work with the disc golf community's abundant supply of goofy, fun, color guys. Sexton's ability to bring some maturity and commentary navigation to his entertaining and fun side is, I believe, why he is simply DG's best at present.

Paul McBeth is Paul Morphy, Ricky Wysocki is Howard Staunton.

Nice! This out-of-the-blue 19th century chess controversy reference was awesome! Ricky vs Paul falls just a bit short due to the relatively weak personal conflict and the presence of a governing body (PDGA, DGPT, etc.), but I love the reference!

jvphobic,

Maybe I'm going against the grain here,
and granted, I can only speak for myself...

You guys have come MILES and MILES since you started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The picture is better, the shot coverage is better, the variety is better, Terry is better, and I think Dixon does a great job.
The fact that you have commercials is a really good thing, 'cause that means money and more and better coverage in the future. The commercials are usually well done and the more variety, the better.
You guys have listened, sometimes VERY patiently, and made improvements.
From someone who found the live feed unwatchable a few years ago, I find myself wishing I had more time to devote to watching and listening.
So I tune in as often as I can and try to support your sponsors when I can.
Speaking just for me,
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to you and all the crew.

I can remember when all I had to watch was Clash videos on DVD.
Compared to that...all the complaining I hear on these forums sounds like an overblown sense of entitlement.
But again, I can only speak for me.

I don't think most of it is entitlement. I think that many truly want the show to improve and get better. And I do listen to every comment, criticism, and suggestion and look at it carefully.

One of our biggest hurdles right now if finding a reliable camera person. Imagine trying to find a person who can take 12 or so weekends (Wed/Thurs-Sun) off a year for moderate pay. Plus you have to be content staying in sometimes close quarters with the rest of the media crew, hopefully have a general idea about disc golf, trustworthy with thousands of dollars of equipment, AND have a pretty good attitude. We currently have Chad (our catch camera) who is able to make every event. But then we switch between 2 or three other guys for the throw camera. Now add an additional person into that mix. It would be awesome if they could edit video too! It is a tough sell. We will get there, it will take a little time and a little money. But I have faith that the medium is growing. :thmbup:

But, I don't think I can get behind showing the full scoreboard before every hole. We tend to use that as "filler" when the action slows down. But we try to make sure it is shown at least once every 3 holes or so.

Thx for the reply. You do realize even 3 holes is like what...15-20+ min? That's a very long time to not know how your favorite player is doing overall. And like I said..not the full scoreboard, you can just show the top 10. Commentators wouldn't have to discuss the movement at this time, just a "Let's check the top of the leaderboard before teeing off", etc, etc. Terry kept on saying "check udisc for scores", I kept thinking... "what a great time to SHOW us the scores!" lol.. Again...great coverage overall. Thx. :clap:

In hindsight, the re-tee with penalty seems like it would have been a reasonable option. He threw his fifth shot before any of the rest of the group threw their second, so IF (big if) he could have re-teed with a good throw that put him in the same area as the rest, that may have conceivably saved him one, maybe two throws in the end. Probably not enough to change the ultimate outcome of the day, but maybe it changes his mindset on the final three holes and he ends up staying closer to Zack and James for second?

That said, I can understand why he didn't. With a re-tee, at best he'd be throwing shot #4 from where everyone else in the group was throwing #2. He *could* have thrown a recovery shot to or past where they were as easily as it took him three throws to get there. That's always the allure of not taking an optional re-throw...the chance to move further down the fairway with a recovery shot than you would have gotten with a re-tee.

I love that people are drawing chess analogies to DG. I guess if you're into one weird hobby, it's not a stretch to be into a few others.

I missed the last round. When I opened UDisclive to see the final scores, I thought the app wasn't working. Amazing.

Latest posts