• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Jonesboro Open

I disagree with only one point - I think your statement that "the talent pool in golf didn't seem to change much" is off. I think it has changed considerably, and I think that it is deeper than ever. I think we're seeing that across the board in sports both major and minor - discrete skills development for younger athletes is more efficient. We spent decades on techniques that were revered almost exclusively because they'd been hypothesized about and studied, whereas now many more techniques are "evidence based." And not only that - the techniques are available for dissemination to many more athletes than ever before. In golf you pair that with the influence of Tiger himself - where you used to have golfers so at home in their lack of fitness that improving themselves threw off their game (John Daly would complain that smaller love handles made putting more difficult because he couldn't rest his arms on his girth, tour regulars like Miguel Angel Jimenez would say that "Water is for fish."... nowadays the guys coming out on tour are not only fit, but that's all they know - they have all of the skills development, plus fitness that allows them to leverage it more powerfully than prior generations.

I wonder how far John Daly could have hit it had he developed with an eye toward fitness as well as his love/talent for golf...

I agree, the talent pool in golf is deeper and better than it was, due to modern training. I knew it was a reach when I typed it, good call.

I agree, the talent pool in golf is deeper and better than it was, due to modern training. I knew it was a reach when I typed it, good call.
Yeah, it was fresh on my mind because a lot of the writing leading up to this last weekend focused on how many major winners were out there in their 20s these days, guys coming up fully formed younger than ever both in terms of skill and approach to the game.

???... He has a hip problem...
If referring to Climo - it still fits that slow-and-steady finish narrative. His wins became less, even as he remained at the top, but in the end injuries caught up to him as they tend to do as you get into your mid-40s, its treated more as a matter of course and not so much something sudden and terrible, a career well fought, injuries staved off longer than most humans could do it...

Um, I confused his hip with his shoulder? Come on, I'm getting senile man, cut me some slack. Good catch though.

Lol... I just now read the other posts... Before, I just read that part of that post and thought...WTF? he didn't get to leave on his own terms.;)

I doubt he would be a fulltime tour player if the hip issue didn't arise but I do think he would have been out there mixing it up with those youngins.

Last edited:
???... He has a hip problem...

A hip problem that has taken him out of playing all together, but I think what Lyle was getting at is that Climo stepped away from competing in Open on his own terms. I think other than USDGC, once Climo elected to play Masters, that's where he played at nearly all the big events (Worlds, NTs, etc). As an example, in 2016, he played Open locally in Florida (and USDGC) but when he traveled, he played Masters...Memorial, BSF, Worlds. Basically, he decided he was pretty much done with trying to beat the very best in the game, and was happy to play with his age peers instead. Then he got hurt.

A hip problem that has taken him out of playing all together, but I think what Lyle was getting at is that Climo stepped away from competing in Open on his own terms. I think other than USDGC, once Climo elected to play Masters, that's where he played at nearly all the big events (Worlds, NTs, etc). As an example, in 2016, he played Open locally in Florida (and USDGC) but when he traveled, he played Masters...Memorial, BSF, Worlds. Basically, he decided he was pretty much done with trying to beat the very best in the game, and was happy to play with his age peers instead. Then he got hurt.

Yea... but, that was before they split Worlds and the DGPT came around. Like I said above, I doubt he would have been on tour fulltime but I do think he would have been out there a couple times a year and especially at both Open and Masters worlds.

Speaking of old pdga farts... anyone seen JohnE lately? I don't know if he's purposely growing the white out to psyche/freak out the other players, "dude that old fart with the white beard can out drive you". But man..he looks like a 60-70 year old out there playing now. lol.. I really enjoy watching him play but have mixed emotions about his public reactions on the course. I would not complain if he ends up in the top 5 of some upcoming elite events.

Did you miss the announcement that the "experienced" folks are coming back at the next DGPT? Jomez/CCDG/etc are going to be at San Francisco.

And frankly, I don't see the players suffering all that much. Everything for the tour outside of the media part seems to be working out quite well so far this year. All three DGPTs have been well attended and the winners have been well compensated. Seems to me the only people who are "suffering" are those spoiled by and yearning for the quality of post-production that we've gotten accustomed to. And starting with the next event, we're going to get that back.

Some hubris displayed by Steve.

My point to the player's suffering is that their brand depends on exposure and, frankly, popularity. Without coverage that people want to watch, they do suffer. It's not as if the McMahon or McBeth names are being forgotten, but even a small percentage of loss is still an undeserved detriment to the players.

I understand your position, and I don't love the coverage, but this event would have been off the radar if dodge didn't cover it.

Some might say that it is hubris on our part to think we know better, and yes, I comment critically too, when we aren't there.

That's simply not true. This event has been covered for years without DGPT's stellar media group.

My point to the player's suffering is that their brand depends on exposure and, frankly, popularity. Without coverage that people want to watch, they do suffer. It's not as if the McMahon or McBeth names are being forgotten, but even a small percentage of loss is still an undeserved detriment to the players.

That's simply not true. This event has been covered for years without DGPT's stellar media group.

Awesome. Can you provide links to the live coverage of Jonesboro pre-2017, I love old footage. I'm having trouble finding summary coverage too, with commentary.

Yea... but, that was before they split Worlds and the DGPT came around. Like I said above, I doubt he would have been on tour fulltime but I do think he would have been out there a couple times a year and especially at both Open and Masters worlds.

I'm still not sure your correct. The proof is in the pudding. If Climo wanted to pursue winning Worlds, well, he would be. He'd be in physical therapy and rehab for his hip and he'd be training with the fire described by Always Hyzer. He's not. Now, whether that's because of my notion that he did it all and is satisfied, or simply because chasing kids off his lawn doesn't allow him time to train, ie he's old, isn't something we can fully determine. Heck, it might even be that he is now a full time stamp collector. But that still leaves us with he's not doing it.

I didn't say pre-DGPT, I said pre-DGPT media group. Which is the failure which is not debated by any party.

But then you ignored what I wrote. And you're not being completely honest, IMO. Jomez and smash weren't there in the first place with out DGPT. This was a local B tier. Steve liked the course and event and brought it to national prominence by including it in his tour. A tour that he paid Jomez, CCDG and Smash to cover.

Steve blew it going on his own. He's found out that Jomez, CCDG and Smash have a skill set that isn't easily duplicated. But that doesn't mean I get to ignore what Steve brought to the equation. If DGPT goes under, we, Jomez, CCDG and Smash all lose, period. Steve has been clear, he's not breaking even. Today, I resigned up for DGPT on Patreon. Stick, carrot.

I reluctantly concur. And thanks for having the strength of character to write that. I didn't.

Lol.....not a popular opinion with a handful of vocal naysayers here, but I think that a pragmatic view of Dodge and his business venture is not that hard. He has accomplished in weeks much of what took CCDG or Jomez years to accomplish. Granted, much of it on the back of the tough lessons learned by the above.

Look, just because I like a free Butterfingers A LOT, I am not going to boycott free Baby Ruth's. I might hold out for a free Butterfingers, but I risk losing out on a candy bar altogether. Who loses? Me or the giver of free candy?

Look, just because I like a free Butterfingers A LOT, I am not going to boycott free Baby Ruth's. I might hold out for a free Butterfingers, but I risk losing out on a candy bar altogether. Who loses? Me or the giver of free candy?

I get your point and the only caveat that I will counter is, if I love free Butterfingers, but Baby Ruth's make me break out in hives, I'll either buy Butterfingers or find a different candy bar (or cookie).

So who loses? Both parties! I lose my free Butterfingers and the giver loses the interest of a future customer of his other packaged products.

How many "free" TV shows have you liked watching and then one day they just started sucking and you never went back? And when enough other viewers turn away, that show gets cancelled. So every body loses.